• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bad Boy Afridi

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Afridi shook his bat at a spectator on his way to the dressing rooms on Wednesday. Now he faces the prospect of not playing in the first game of the world cup.
Is the ICC getting too sensitive about player-spectator interaction?

mohammad16

U19 Captain
4-8 odis, the hearing prob wont give a verdict till we are atelast 4 odis into this one

so afridi will miss atleast 3 odis in the world cup, prob 7

thats most of the world cup if he is found guilty

this is jus crazy, they cant afford to go in without him OMG

Fusion

Global Moderator
Afridi shook his bat at a spectator on his way to the dressing rooms on Wednesday. Now he faces the prospect of not playing in the first game of the world cup.
Is the ICC getting too sensitive about player-spectator interaction?
I believe some sort of punishment is required here. You can't have players getting into fights with the spectators, no matter what the provocation. However, a 4-Test or 8-ODI ban is too harsh IMO. I believe he should've been fined his match fee and banned for either a Test match or 2 ODI's at most.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
I believe some sort of punishment is required here. You can't have players getting into fights with the spectators, no matter what the provocation. However, a 4-Test or 8-ODI ban is too harsh IMO. I believe he should've been fined his match fee and banned for either a Test match or 2 ODI's at most.
He didn't get into a fight. He just shook his bat at him and went on walking. :)

Natman20

International Debutant
To me it looked like he just swiveled around to pick something up and the bat unfortunately got in the way of a spectator.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Do I really have to explain to you how a financial fine might force someone to think twice before doing something stupid? 8-)
Yeah its not like the cricketers don't need the money. They don't make mad money like baseball and basketball players.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Has anyone got a link for a clip of the incident? I didn't get to see yesterday's game.

Is it more or less serious than Gibbs's "****ing Pakistanis" comment? In the interests of fairness we have to take his ban as the precedent, I'd say.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Do I really have to explain to you how a financial fine might force someone to think twice before doing something stupid? 8-)
You really think Afridi will care or change his actions just because of some petty fine when he has enough money already?.A fine will not in the slightest punish him.It's like UEFA fineing clubs with their violent fans especially in Italy.It teaches them nothing and it will be the same to Afridi.The only way Afridi will think twice is if it is a severe punishment.So you think he should have only been fined for scuffing up the pitch?.Fining someone is the easy way out for the ICC but it won't achieve anything.You have to get the message across that this behaviour no matter how much the person provoked him should not be tolerated.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thanks. & it does! :happy:

It doesn't look too clever, does it? Obviously there was no intent to do the guy any damage, but you can't flick your bat at a spectator from that close & not expect some consequence. With Afridi's previous misdemeanour(s) I think he could be looking at 4 matches.
4 ODIs (or 2 Tests) is the minimum for the charge (if found guilty), he should be looking at 6-8. Of course knowing the ICC they'll probably ban him for x amount of Tests instead.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
4 ODIs (or 2 Tests) is the minimum for the charge (if found guilty), he should be looking at 6-8. Of course knowing the ICC they'll probably ban him for x amount of Tests instead.
Didn't know that.

So yes, I'd agree, actually. If his previous bad behaviour is taken into account he should be given more than the bare minimum. Mind you, Gibbs had hardly been a saint before, had he?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I dont even understand why this guy is allowed to play. He has no respect for the game, his team, players, fans. He should clearly get 10 match suspension but I dont think it will affect him a bit.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Ridiculous.. Its like punishments are essentially mirrored to what they should be... I don't like Afridi (after his dancing on the pitch), but he surely cant cop a ban for this..

Fusion

Global Moderator
You really think Afridi will care or change his actions just because of some petty fine when he has enough money already?.A fine will not in the slightest punish him.It's like UEFA fineing clubs with their violent fans especially in Italy.It teaches them nothing and it will be the same to Afridi.The only way Afridi will think twice is if it is a severe punishment.So you think he should have only been fined for scuffing up the pitch?.Fining someone is the easy way out for the ICC but it won't achieve anything.You have to get the message across that this behaviour no matter how much the person provoked him should not be tolerated.
If you actually read my comments, I said to fine him AND ban him. I thought the length of the ban was harsh. Instead I proposed a 1 test, 2 ODI ban. Pakistani players do not make as much money as their Indian/English/Australian counterparts. Trust me, losing his match fee would have stung a little. Besides, even if it didn't, it does send a message that doing something stupid will cost you. I'm no fan of Afridi and would love it if he never played for Pakistan again, but a 4-Test/8 ODI ban is extreme for this specific incident. He didn't go after the guy, he didn't swing his bat at him. He didn't even stop, he just poked him with the bat as he made his way up the steps. Not saying that's ok or harmless, but just putting it in perspective.