• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bad Boy Afridi

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
:wallbash: So he should be jailed for underperforming in a cricket match. They don't even put murderers there these days. :laugh:
Maybe not in S Africa (might not have room for the masses..LOL) but in India murderers go to jail.

Oh btw, who found gibbs NOT GUILTY, was it Cronje???

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gibbs had admitted to have underperformed in a one day international for which he was punished. He avoided travelling to India for years as there were new evidence of his involvment in match fixing.

Better get ur facts right
Fairly certain Gibbs was agreed to underperform in a match that he scored 70odd in. I think you should check your facts.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
This has all been thrashed out in another thread so won't bother to carry on with this, here.:)

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Back to the topic. If I was the spectator I would probably have just laughed at Alfridi as it was obvious he was not seriously threatening the person. And then had something to tell my friends and cause more laughter!:laugh:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Afridi gets off with the bare minimum, what's the point in having a range of 4-8 ODIs for this level of offence if players like him with a past history still get the minimum sentence?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I see, so he was fined and banned for six month for being innocent, right?

Gibbs had admitted to have underperformed in a one day international for which he was punished. He avoided travelling to India for years as there were new evidence of his involvment in match fixing.

Better get ur facts right
Fairly certain Gibbs was agreed to underperform in a match that he scored 70odd in. I think you should check your facts.
There's a difference, though, between not-guilty and mitigating-circumstances.

This was the latter and definately not the former.

Beleg

International Regular
First up, you make it sound like he took a massive swing at him. He didnt, it was a very small swipe, and even if it had hit the spectator somewehre like the shoulder, it wouldn't have hurt them much. To the head, yes, anywhere else, no.

And it's obvious the spectator provoked him. I think if Afridi is going to get some punishment, the spectator should be banned as well. It's come to the stage, where players can't say anything amongst themselves about the crowd, can't do anything really, but the crowd get a free go at the players.
You are making assumption after assumption after assumption. The facts, as it stands, are pretty simple: Afridi attacked a spectator with a bat. It doesn't matter if the spectator provoked Afridi or not, in most legal traditions, mere verbal provocation isn't allowable grounds for a physical attack.

The crowds do not get a free go at the players. They aren't allowed to attack players, and if they do, they are likely to face criminal penalities. It would only be just if the reverse were possible, unfortunately diplomatic immunity and the power of fame means justice is only served when and where the circumstances are favourable.

Inzamam attacked a spectator in Toronto. Inzy is my favourite player bar none, however, I believe Inzy deserved a much stiffer punishment than what was ultimately levied at him.

a10khan

School Boy/Girl Captain
The Pak supporters got kicked out the other day, so why wasn't this idiot thrown out as well? Afridi's ban is justified but what no action was taken against that man. Shame on the ground authorities, and that guy standing there who did not intervene.

no1_gangsta_786

U19 Cricketer
Well at first i thought that the ban was quite fair (4 ODIs) but after hearing that all the spectator said was something along the lines of " Boom Boom go back to your room " there is no justification in Afridi swinging the bat at him and i feel that a harsher penalty should have been imposed.