• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bad Boy Afridi

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Note the "if not all" part. ;)

Honestly, though, I do tire of people telling me that experience will change me. I'm getting older all the time - hasn't happened yet.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yep, we were both wrong.

You meant end, I meant start. You said start, I said end.

I repeat: :(

Beleg

International Regular
It's not liek Afridi actually hit the guy, or took a massive swing either. If he wanted to connect, he would have.
Afridi swung his bat at a spectator.

Reverse the situation, say a spectator had swung a bat at Afridi. At the least, he would have been thrown out of the stadium and charged with assault - with a lot of tut-tutting over the disgraceful behaviour and calls for stricter regulation of spectator behaviour and increased player safety.

As a player and as a human, you have no right to get physical with a stranger who hasn't gotten physical with you. He should recieve the biggest punishment that can concievably be levied upon him.

Since I presume you can't mind-read, you have no proof that if he had wanted it to connect, it would have connected. His precieved intentions in this case do not mitigate what happened. If you try to shoot someone but only end up shooting wide, you don't get away with statements like but I didn't actually hit her!.

deeps

International 12th Man
Afridi swung his bat at a spectator.

Reverse the situation, say a spectator had swung a bat at Afridi. At the least, he would have been thrown out of the stadium and charged with assault - with a lot of tut-tutting over the disgraceful behaviour and calls for stricter regulation of spectator behaviour and increased player safety.
First up, you make it sound like he took a massive swing at him. He didnt, it was a very small swipe, and even if it had hit the spectator somewehre like the shoulder, it wouldn't have hurt them much. To the head, yes, anywhere else, no.

And it's obvious the spectator provoked him. I think if Afridi is going to get some punishment, the spectator should be banned as well. It's come to the stage, where players can't say anything amongst themselves about the crowd, can't do anything really, but the crowd get a free go at the players.

As a player and as a human, you have no right to get physical with a stranger who hasn't gotten physical with you. He should recieve the biggest punishment that can concievably be levied upon him.
No contact was made. Do you really think Afridi was trying to make contact? i have no doubt that if he was trying to make contact, that he would have made contact.

Since I presume you can't mind-read, you have no proof that if he had wanted it to connect, it would have connected. His precieved intentions in this case do not mitigate what happened. If you try to shoot someone but only end up shooting wide, you don't get away with statements like but I didn't actually hit her!.
Sure i can't read minds, but look where he's holding the bat... He's holding it on the blade, which severely reduces the power he'd get. The backswing, was minimal

This guy can hit a ball moving at 155 km/hr out of the park with ease, im sure he could make contact to a dopey idiot standing in the crowd who's stationary. He didnt even get close.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Afridi shook his bat at a spectator on his way to the dressing rooms on Wednesday. Now he faces the prospect of not playing in the first game of the world cup.
Is the ICC getting too sensitive about player-spectator interaction?
Riiiiiight - suspend Gibbs for yelling at spectators but allow Afridi off for going after one with a bat

This guy should be chucked out of the game - he's an admitted ball tamperer, convicted pitch tamperer and now has a go at spectators but aside from that he's a really good guy and a role model for all8-)

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
Gibbs' ban was the equivalent of 4 ODIs, which was the minimum for a level 3 offense - the level which Afridi's offense is (and Gibbs' offense). Flicking your bat at a spectator in full view is worse than a stupid throwaway remark picked up by a stump mike. Afridi should clearly get a more severe punishment than Gibbs. As for whether the actual rules and punishments set out in those rules are right in the first place is obviously open to debate.
Some would disagree, a stupid remark offended a whole nation! Its fair to say that both are equally wrong.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
Riiiiiight - suspend Gibbs for yelling at spectators but allow Afridi off for going after one with a bat

This guy should be chucked out of the game - he's an admitted ball tamperer, convicted pitch tamperer and now has a go at spectators but aside from that he's a really good guy and a role model for all8-)
And what did he yell? something very offensive right? so much so that the whole SA had to struggle to save Gibbs for being labelled as a racist.

If past offences are being taken into account then both Afridi and Gibbs should be chucked out. Gibbs is a match fixer and had ties with bookies and has been avoiding traveling to India for fear of being arrested.he's pure lucky that he's not beind bars right now .

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Gibbs is a match fixer and had ties with bookies and has been avoiding traveling to India for fear of being arrested.he's pure lucky that he's not beind bars right now .
Gibbs was found NOT GUILTY. Stop being judge and jury without having all the facts.:@

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
Gibbs was found NOT GUILTY. Stop being judge and jury without having all the facts.:@
I see, so he was fined and banned for six month for being innocent, right?

Gibbs had admitted to have underperformed in a one day international for which he was punished. He avoided travelling to India for years as there were new evidence of his involvment in match fixing.

Better get ur facts right

Last edited:

jot1

State Vice-Captain
:wallbash: So he should be jailed for underperforming in a cricket match. They don't even put murderers there these days. :laugh: