• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Vaughan worth the risk?

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
In probably the least surprising news of the week, Michael Vaughan is unfit for the CB Finals and is going home. But they still thnk he'll be fit for WC. But for how long? Unless we **** up completely against Canada and Kenya, England will play at least nine games in the WC (plus warm-ups). If Vaughan is fit for all of them, I'm a Dutchman. That means we'll be chopping and changing the captaincy AGAIN during the tournament. Does anyone think we should bite the bullet, accept Vaughan won't last the whole tournament give Styrauss the captaincy and let Michael concentrate on being fully fit for the domestic season. I know he's a good captain but as his ODI batting record is not good enough is it worth risking an unfit guy with a poor batting record just for his captaincy skills?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Do I think it should happen? Probably be for the best, yes.

Do I think it will happen? Not a chance.

EDIT: :lol: duplicate thread! Delete the other one IIWY. :p

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
In probably the least surprising news of the week, Michael Vaughan is unfit for the CB Finals and is going home. But they still thnk he'll be fit for WC. But for how long? Unless we **** up completely against Canada and Kenya, England will play at least nine games in the WC (plus warm-ups). If Vaughan is fit for all of them, I'm a Dutchman. That means we'll be chopping and changing the captaincy AGAIN during the tournament. Does anyone think we should bite the bullet, accept Vaughan won't last the whole tournament give Styrauss the captaincy and let Michael concentrate on being fully fit for the domestic season. I know he's a good captain but as his ODI batting record is not good enough is it worth risking an unfit guy with a poor batting record just for his captaincy skills?
you are?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
He brings a surety to the side that can't be measured in averages. I'd play him every opportunity - I think we saw the effect it had during the game vs NZ.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I really, really do think it's just coincidence that 2 of the 3 victories happen to have come with him at the helm.

Unless, that is, you genuinely believe he can turn Liam Plunkett into a Bowling Superman.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
There's no way it's mere coincidence that England played so much better with Vaughan in charge the other night, particularly defending a total. Obviously he can't do everything, but he is the best captain in the world IMO, and he makes a huge difference to the side both in terms of the attitude he brings and his tactical prowess, especially compared to someone like Flintoff.

Obviously he needs to be fit enough that he's not a liability though, which seems to be a bit of a problem these days.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's no way it's mere coincidence that England played so much better with Vaughan in charge the other night, particularly defending a total.
Better than what?

It sure weren't the most recent game before that!

Hell, even Plunkett bowled well in the Australia game! Something that's pretty much never happened before. And when that happens, you know things are running your way!

tooextracool

International Coach
which is all fine and good except that vaughan wasnt captain in the Australia game. As such any fool could see the vast improvement in field placings and bowling changes in both NZ victories.

tooextracool

International Coach
except that the Fletcher and the rest of the selectors are too busy puckering up to Flintoff for winning the Ashes back for them last year rather than giving the captaincy to anyone else.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
If Vaughan's fit for all 7 World Cup games, yes.
Actually unless they **** up in the 1st round it will be nine games minimum - unless you don't count Kenya or Canada as contests? (Which they shouldn't be, I mean if Scotland can beat them)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
which is all fine and good except that vaughan wasnt captain in the Australia game. As such any fool could see the vast improvement in field placings and bowling changes in both NZ victories.
They could, but just saying "they played better" does not pertain to such things.