• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Google Earth - cricket grounds

pasag

RTDAS
16TOS gave me this idea. Here are the 5 main Australian ones:

MCG

Adelaide Oval

The Gabba

The WACA

The SCG

Yours?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Here is my local ground at the moment in SA.. Looks like the photo was taken in the winter though, as the football pitches are out.. Nets at the top of the ground

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Good idea for a thread. MCG pic looks like it was taken around late 05/early 06.
Here are a couple more:

Telstra Dome

Eden Gardens

Jungle Jumbo

Old Trafford, Manchester

Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur, Dhaka

MA Aziz Ground, Chittagong

The biggest ground in the world? Azad Maidan, Mumbai

Dick Rockett

I'm not in a mathematic mood, which was the biggest, and which was the smallest?
It doesn't really require any maths, but anyway. By far the biggest ground overall is Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore, a circle of 185m diameter. The smallest by the look of it is Bourda in Georgetown, a mere 124m x 121m.

A very general average for the whole world I would say is length and width both in the 140s.

Was surprised to note that a minority of grounds are actually ovals, which is the generally assumed shape. Most grounds seem to be rectangles with the corners rounded off. There's probably slightly more circles than ovals also.

Last edited:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Didn't know Lahore had the biggest one in the world. Makes sense what with the way Lahoris have the biggest everything. I'm assuming you've only done the test grounds?

Dick Rockett

I'm assuming you've only done the test grounds?
I didn't really approach it scientifically. At one stage I thought I'd limit it to the grounds that have hosted more than five ODIs or tests, and that have been used this century. But basically I ended up knocking it back to places I'd heard of - it was a big enough job anyway. If there's any others that people are interested in, I can have a look.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I didn't really approach it scientifically. At one stage I thought I'd limit it to the grounds that have hosted more than five ODIs or tests, and that have been used this century. But basically I ended up knocking it back to places I'd heard of - it was a big enough job anyway. If there's any others that people are interested in, I can have a look.
Would love to see which one's the biggest of all, tbh. Totally appreciate the work btw.

Dick Rockett

Even though my list is not comprehensive, I find it hard to imagine that any grounds I've left out would be bigger than Gaddafi Stadium. It's almost as long as Adelaide Oval (the longest), and just wider than the MCG - the ground I assumed would be the biggest before I started this little project.