• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Google Earth - cricket grounds

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It doesn't really require any maths, but anyway. By far the biggest ground overall is Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore, a circle of 185m diameter. The smallest by the look of it is Bourda in Georgetown, a mere 124m x 121m.
That explains the England innings there which contained a 3-boundary 71 from Atherton and a 1-boundary century from Thorpe.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket

Eden Gardens, Calcutta

Calcutta Cricket and Football Club (CCFC) - one of the oldest cricket grounds in the world.

Don Bosco school ground

St. Xaviers College ground. The smaller ground is the school ground of Xaviers.

The huge green portions of Calcutta where you can find millions of cricket pitches. Notice the Eden Gardens in the bottom right and compare it with the famous maidan's size (top left). There are many cricket clubs and pitches in the other maidan in the bottom left of the screen. There are more cricket pitches just in front of Eden and a few football club grounds. The famous Salt Lake football stadium likes in the other end of the city. I haven't even started about the golf clubs. It isn't for nothing that people say that Calcutta loves it's sport.

Last edited:

Chubb

International Regular
We're talking about moving to a flat pitch on the other side of the village, but it probably won't happen for a long time. At least the current ground has some character... if only there was room for a pavilion. I did look for Upottery on Google Earth but the Blackdowns haven't been covered yet... neither has Honiton.

This is the UEA sports ground at Colney Lane in Norwich, a big characterless oval.

Attachments

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Forget it. Wrong ground. Misinterpreted the pic - got the north side of my south facing and the east facing south.

adharcric

International Coach
Has anyone posted a ground in North America? Here's one of the best I've seen or played on (in fact, have a 4th of July tournament there). Surrounded on all sides by vineyards and mountains and the ground itself is very well maintained. Playing on this majestic ground is an awesome experience, even if your team gets destroyed.

Unfortunately, the picture looks like it was made in Paint ...

Attachments

Last edited:

Chubb

International Regular
I've found some grounds in interesting and remote parts of the world;

The first is the only cricket ground in the Falkland Islands, an artificial strip laid at Mount Pleasant airbase about twenty miles outside Stanley- looks appealing. There's a football match in progress on the pitch next to the cricket oval.

The next is on the capital atoll of the Cocos-Keeling Islands in the Indian Ocean. It's an artificial pitch. I think these islands are administered by Australia so I wasn't surprised to see a pitch.

The third is on Norfolk Island, near the south coast of this island. I believe bowls is the No.1 sport on Norfolk and they have sent representatives to the Commonwealth Games. It's like a good version of Pitcairn Island- the islanders are in the main descended from Fletcher Christian and the gang.

The fourth is on Lord Howe Island, off the eastern seaboard of Australia. Looking at pictures of this island it must be a pretty nice place to play.

The final one is the sports facility on Ascension Island in the South Atlantic, a British military base and spy station.

Attachments

Last edited: