• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Marlon Samuels caught talking to bookies

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
When I read the title of this thread I thought Hakon had been caught with his hands in the till...

Surprised at you for not complaining, DB...

Oh, yeah... :-O

EDIT: now that it's been corrected: it did read "Samuel caught... etc."

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Just to say though, its not really match 'fixing'.

"Amitesh Kumar, Nagpur's deputy police commissioner, said that Samuels was tapped giving information about the batting line-up and the bowling order.. He however said that the police had "no evidence about financial commitment made." The team details included the line-up and the bowling order, Kumar said."

Its more akin to what Waugh did.

PY

International Coach
I was going to say, if there's no financial gain then it's stupid not illegal.

Here's a question, where does the line get drawn where a player's insider opinion of the lineup becomes giving information he shouldn't be giving?

Dravid

International Captain
I was going to say, if there's no financial gain then it's stupid not illegal.

Here's a question, where does the line get drawn where a player's insider opinion of the lineup becomes giving information he shouldn't be giving?
I think it's not that serious to give out a line up. But my question is, why would a bookie want to get out the lineup out of a player. Line ups 9 out of 10 times is what everyone else thinks it will be. I highly doubt thats all there is to this.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Bodyline has nothing on Match Fixing as the biggest issue to ever hit cricket.
Well of course. To be very English for a second, Bodyline was not against the rules and nothing wrong took place. Was only an issue due to the crying Aussies. :p

On the actual topic. Sounds dumb and unfortunate.

BTW, The reason (possibly 1 of a few) why bookies pay for mundane information that the general public probably already knows is

a) all information is an advantage and setting a line is an artform and a tiny bit of info is a help

and mainly

b) the player thinks "this is easy cash for nothing" and then the bookie requests get more intrusive. This kind of payment is a way to suck players in. It is just too easy for players to give banal info and before they know it they are giving more.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Tbh, I can't see how the bookie knowing the batting line-up will help in a very big way at all.
Bets are made not just on who would win or lose but on loads of other things in cricket. What would the line up be can mean for certainty the bookie knows what the XI would be, who would open, etc.

On what PY said btw, even if there is no financial gain, some thing can be illegal apart from being stupid.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Goughy said:
b) the player thinks "this is easy cash for nothing" and then the bookie requests get more intrusive. This kind of payment is a way to suck players in. It is just too easy for players to give banal info and before they know it they are giving more
And then they demand more information, through threatening to tell the authorities that you've given away information before.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Exactly.

Once you start having any intimate contact with bookies, you're on a slippery-slope and dubious ground.

pup11

International Coach
I think its really shocking, when there is such scrutiny over these players then why do they indulge in such activites.