• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Marlon Samuels caught talking to bookies

Slow Love™

International Captain
Don't really know why people are being so hostile to the idea of the police actually investigating this. Surely you would expect that the police would look into Gayle and Samuels' movements after the rest of the team returned home, particularly in the light of their non-appearance (or quick disappearance, as it were) at an organized event.

Hopefully it's just stupidity on Samuels' part, but even not being aware that he was talking to a book-maker, any cricketer should know better by now than to discuss even seemingly innocent stuff like this before a match with a stranger. I didn't see any of his innings against India in the game in question, but I really hope there wasn't anything fishy.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
because 109 off 149 from a player completely out of touch chasing 270 and the side crumbling besides him is the same as 40 off 60 chasing 338 with Chanderpaul playing sheath anchor at the other end?
In reference to that particular innings, it's worth noting that Samuels hasn't exactly been in the most stunning form of his career and has been struggling to score runs for the most part of a year and some.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
because 109 off 149 from a player completely out of touch chasing 270 and the side crumbling besides him is the same as 40 off 60 chasing 338 with Chanderpaul playing sheath anchor at the other end?
Think you're getting the wrong Fulton. Presume he was referring to David Fulton in the 2005 Championship, who was accused by Shane Warne of doing "one of the dumbest things I've ever seen" by declaring against Fleming's Notts and basically gifting them a victory on a plate.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
That's the worst attempt at any accent I have ever heard. Jamaicans do have a funny accent, but that's pushing it.
Haha, I have a quite a few West Indian friends, and I always joke around with them, immitating their accents just as a joke. But tbh, it's a sikk accent... Isn't it called Patwa or something like that :unsure:?

Anywayz, mi mommy say she gonna' pik dem cohzn' up :p.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Patois is a mixture of Spanish, French, English and native languages. It's not a reflection of the accent.

Craig

World Traveller
Think you're getting the wrong Fulton. Presume he was referring to David Fulton in the 2005 Championship, who was accused by Shane Warne of doing "one of the dumbest things I've ever seen" by declaring against Fleming's Notts and basically gifting them a victory on a plate.
No it was Peter Fulton.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Nah, Chris Gayle be too cool to be in2 enneetin laak dat, man. :(
And the Hasie Cronje supporters used to say "No, our Afrikaaner boyz would never do a thing like that" 8-)

Personally, I think blokes like Malik, Azhar and Cronje were always only the tip of the iceberg.
I have always felt that several players (and not just subcontinental ones) were involved in match fixing but there were coverups aplenty to prevent the true scale of the match fixing from being discovered.
Hell even the "holier than thou" Cricket Australia engaged in a big coverup of Warne and M Waugh.

People may disagree with me but that's what I feel.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's certainly perfectly possible, but the simple fact of the matter is we're likely to never know, so it's best not to fling around potentially-baseless accusations.