• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Imagine the hype if Flintoff produced the kind of knock Afridi just did.

An eighth DVD incorporating the words "Freddy" and "Fireworks" would be rushed off the production reels, by first thing monday, and he would be hailed as Sir Garfield Botham by the press.

Of course Afridi won't be given a similar degree of credit, for an innings which far exceeds anything Flintoff has ever done with the bat for England.

Afridi > Flintoff.

Any questions?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I like watching Afridi and all, but an average of 22 is hardly awe-inspiring, whether he has a strike rate of 100+ or not.

Fact of the matter is, for most of his career he hasn't utilised his talent, and could have been a better player, but his ego got in the way. Freddy didn't utilise his talent for only a part of his career, then got his head in and matured, and became a much better player.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Off the top of my head, here's 3 better Fred innings than flogging a knackered attack all over a very flat track with over 200 already on the board when he came to the wicket.

1. 2nd innings at Lord's vs Aus in 2005
2. 1st innings at Trent bridge vs Aus in 2005
3. 70* to single handedly see England home in 1st odi against NZ last month

You can add 2 or 3 innings in English odi's in 2004 when he made 100's or close to after the top order had done its usual collapsing act.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You can add 2 or 3 innings in English odi's in 2004 when he made 100's or close to after the top order had done its usual collapsing act.
His 99 vs. India was superb back in 2004, just before the Champions Trophy.

Off the top of my head, here's 3 better Fred innings than flogging a knackered attack all over a very flat track with over 200 already on the board when he came to the wicket.

1. 2nd innings at Lord's vs Aus in 2005
2. 1st innings at Trent bridge vs Aus in 2005
3. 70* to single handedly see England home in 1st odi against NZ last month

I was going to include those....but fell asleep after one ball faced on each occasion.

Besides, watching Afridi fry an egg on youtube offers far more excitement.

deeps

International 12th Man
Afridi has produced some amazing innings, and match winning ones too.

His 45 bal 100 against india comes to mind as a great match winning performance.
His 36 ball 100 also obviously.

A 141 against India in a test match was match winning and brilliant too

I think Afridi > Flintoff as a batsman.

Sure, flintoff is more consistent, but Afridi wins more matches (with the bat that is)

as a bowler, flintoff wins hands down

The one where he made 3? I personally think the one at Edgbaston was better, but then again it was a damn fine 3. :p
Shame Davey boy had to just go own himself. He sure does know his cricket.

Although that's what happens when you try tangling with me. You invariably end up flat on your face, just ask Richard.