Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Norway to build national cricket stadium?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!

Norway to build national cricket stadium?

Drammens Tidende reports on Norway's cricket situation

For those unfortunate among you not fluent in the Scandinavian tongues, the story runs like this: Marienlyst stadium, the old home ground of Strømsgodset IF (Norwegian league champions in 1970, four-time Norwegian cup winners, sufferers of Liverpool's largest competitive win and, latterly, most known for being Jostein Flo's final place to play professional football) is being redeveloped as Strømsgodset are planning to move to a new stadium. Local politician Jousuf Gilani wishes to make the ground into the first dedicated cricket stadium in Scandinavia, which could host exhibition matches with international players (he hopes) as well as Norwegian league games. There might even be seats for the crowd (the current pitches are basically football fields with artificial turf, and watching from the sidelines involves sitting on the grass) The usual arguments about integration is also bandied about, coincidentally a couple of days after a prominent lawyer, Abid Q. Raja, wrote a letter to Aftenposten urging the politicians to prioritise cricket.

Two of Norway's 29 organised clubs are placed in Drammen, but the city is nevertheless famed for other sports, and personally I think the plans are unlikely to come through. Not least because among the other suggested plans there is a shopping centre - which is perfectly ridiculous because there is a shopping centre 150 metres away from it - and a handball hall - which is equally ridiculous, with there being an international class handball hall 50 metres away from the area. The only thing I could perhaps support is a bandy field - bandy is a popular sport in Drammen, one of three places where it survives in Norway - but bandy is dead in all countries except for Sweden, Finland and Russia, while cricket is a world sport where Norway have good opportunities to become a Scandinavian leader with some kind of facilities.

Meh. I'm dreaming.
    Last edited by Samuel_Vimes; 07-02-2007 at 09:24 AM.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Squirrel Soccer Champion!
    Its good news, they seem to be taking an active interest, If just one more person, one more country gets into cricket, Ca sera fantastique - thats a canadian smilie? Lol,
    This Weeks Samit Patel Fact - Has been mentioned in 32 of my posts

The Rifles - Whats your verdict? www.myspace.com/therifles

Winner of Cricket Webs Shane Warne Award - 4-11th Feb

RIP Mr Woolmer, We are all poorer for your loss.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Hey Hak... you might see a game of cricket!

Here's to hoping the plans go through.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Hey Hak... you might see a game of cricket!

Here's to hoping the plans go through.
    Are you suggesting that Exeter U13 v Clyst Hydon U13 didn't qualify as a game of cricket?
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Is the local population particularly aware of cricket Samuel?
    Member of the Newtown Cricket Club since January '06 - "Per commissum ad taberna"
    Honorary Vice-President of the "Twenty20 Is Boring Society"

Quote Originally Posted by 16 tins of Spam View Post
    Is the local population particularly aware of cricket Samuel?
    Not particularly, no. I'm a bit of an anomaly.

Most people know it's a sport. When pressed, they'll say it's done with bat and ball and that Pakistanis play it, and possibly that they remember it being on TV a couple of years ago (we got the NatWest final. Complete with rain.). Can't speak for the city of Drammen in particular, but I guess it's the same there.

International Regular DCC_legend's Avatar
    i didnt even think norway even had an international cricket team!
    Where's my money?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    Are you suggesting that Exeter U13 v Clyst Hydon U13 didn't qualify as a game of cricket?
    I recall Hakon spending more time with myself and Rich in the nets than anywhere else...

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCC_legend View Post
    i didnt even think norway even had an international cricket team!
    If Yorkshire can have one...

why is cricket always reffered by people who dont know much about it like " its a game played by english people"(at least here) or like its a game played by indians - its a game played by *name here*?

International Regular DCC_legend's Avatar
    well it was invented by the english, and i suppose people just think about posh english folk playing it way back in the 1900s.

If they build it, i will be there to see the first game...

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Not particularly, no. I'm a bit of an anomaly.

Most people know it's a sport. When pressed, they'll say it's done with bat and ball and that Pakistanis play it, and possibly that they remember it being on TV a couple of years ago (we got the NatWest final. Complete with rain.). Can't speak for the city of Drammen in particular, but I guess it's the same there.
    How would cricket stack up against Rugby in terms of popularity over there, Sam? Similar level of indifference would be my guess.

Although Magnus Lund is now starting for us...
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    How would cricket stack up against Rugby in terms of popularity over there, Sam? Similar level of indifference would be my guess.

Although Magnus Lund is now starting for us...
    At least in terms of media coverage, it's pretty much at zero. The rugby team is awful because we're basically relying on Magnus' brother and assorted immigrants (and since the English expat population is somewhat lower than the Pakistani expat, the rugby team has fewer to pick from). Over an average sample cricket probably wins out, because of the two Pakistanis you'd inevitably pick in the sample

Still, if you queried said sample of Norwegians about whether they knew a) Geoff Hurst, b) Steven Redgrave, c) Michael Vaughan, d) Jonny Wilkinson, e) Eddie the Eagle, f) Magnus Lund, the results would go Hurst, Eddie, Redgrave, Lund/Wilkinson/Vaughan, I reckon.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    At least in terms of media coverage, it's pretty much at zero. The rugby team is awful because we're basically relying on Magnus' brother and assorted immigrants (and since the English expat population is somewhat lower than the Pakistani expat, the rugby team has fewer to pick from). Over an average sample cricket probably wins out, because of the two Pakistanis you'd inevitably pick in the sample

Still, if you queried said sample of Norwegians about whether they knew a) Geoff Hurst, b) Steven Redgrave, c) Michael Vaughan, d) Jonny Wilkinson, e) Eddie the Eagle, f) Magnus Lund, the results would go Hurst, Eddie, Redgrave, Lund/Wilkinson/Vaughan, I reckon.
    How horrifying.

What about basketball? I only ask beacuse it's now more-or-less illegal to refer to Magnus without mentioning that his dad play it for Norway. presume that's where he gets his height from.

WRT Rugby, you clearly want a few first & second generation kiwi-norwayanese to bolster your ranks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information