• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Norway to build national cricket stadium?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Drammens Tidende reports on Norway's cricket situation

For those unfortunate among you not fluent in the Scandinavian tongues, the story runs like this: Marienlyst stadium, the old home ground of Strømsgodset IF (Norwegian league champions in 1970, four-time Norwegian cup winners, sufferers of Liverpool's largest competitive win and, latterly, most known for being Jostein Flo's final place to play professional football) is being redeveloped as Strømsgodset are planning to move to a new stadium. Local politician Jousuf Gilani wishes to make the ground into the first dedicated cricket stadium in Scandinavia, which could host exhibition matches with international players (he hopes) as well as Norwegian league games. There might even be seats for the crowd (the current pitches are basically football fields with artificial turf, and watching from the sidelines involves sitting on the grass) The usual arguments about integration is also bandied about, coincidentally a couple of days after a prominent lawyer, Abid Q. Raja, wrote a letter to Aftenposten urging the politicians to prioritise cricket.

Two of Norway's 29 organised clubs are placed in Drammen, but the city is nevertheless famed for other sports, and personally I think the plans are unlikely to come through. Not least because among the other suggested plans there is a shopping centre - which is perfectly ridiculous because there is a shopping centre 150 metres away from it - and a handball hall - which is equally ridiculous, with there being an international class handball hall 50 metres away from the area. The only thing I could perhaps support is a bandy field - bandy is a popular sport in Drammen, one of three places where it survives in Norway - but bandy is dead in all countries except for Sweden, Finland and Russia, while cricket is a world sport where Norway have good opportunities to become a Scandinavian leader with some kind of facilities.

Meh. I'm dreaming. :p

Last edited:

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Its good news, they seem to be taking an active interest, If just one more person, one more country gets into cricket, Ca sera fantastique :canadian: - thats a canadian smilie? Lol, :laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hey Hak... you might see a game of cricket! :)

Here's to hoping the plans go through. :beer:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Is the local population particularly aware of cricket Samuel?
Not particularly, no. I'm a bit of an anomaly. :p

Most people know it's a sport. When pressed, they'll say it's done with bat and ball and that Pakistanis play it, and possibly that they remember it being on TV a couple of years ago (we got the NatWest final. Complete with rain.). Can't speak for the city of Drammen in particular, but I guess it's the same there.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
why is cricket always reffered by people who dont know much about it like " its a game played by english people"(at least here) or like its a game played by indians - its a game played by *name here*?

DCC_legend

International Regular
well it was invented by the english, and i suppose people just think about posh english folk playing it way back in the 1900s.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not particularly, no. I'm a bit of an anomaly. :p

Most people know it's a sport. When pressed, they'll say it's done with bat and ball and that Pakistanis play it, and possibly that they remember it being on TV a couple of years ago (we got the NatWest final. Complete with rain.). Can't speak for the city of Drammen in particular, but I guess it's the same there.
How would cricket stack up against Rugby in terms of popularity over there, Sam? Similar level of indifference would be my guess.

Although Magnus Lund is now starting for us...

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
How would cricket stack up against Rugby in terms of popularity over there, Sam? Similar level of indifference would be my guess.

Although Magnus Lund is now starting for us...
At least in terms of media coverage, it's pretty much at zero. The rugby team is awful because we're basically relying on Magnus' brother and assorted immigrants (and since the English expat population is somewhat lower than the Pakistani expat, the rugby team has fewer to pick from). Over an average sample cricket probably wins out, because of the two Pakistanis you'd inevitably pick in the sample ;)

Still, if you queried said sample of Norwegians about whether they knew a) Geoff Hurst, b) Steven Redgrave, c) Michael Vaughan, d) Jonny Wilkinson, e) Eddie the Eagle, f) Magnus Lund, the results would go Hurst, Eddie, Redgrave, Lund/Wilkinson/Vaughan, I reckon.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
At least in terms of media coverage, it's pretty much at zero. The rugby team is awful because we're basically relying on Magnus' brother and assorted immigrants (and since the English expat population is somewhat lower than the Pakistani expat, the rugby team has fewer to pick from). Over an average sample cricket probably wins out, because of the two Pakistanis you'd inevitably pick in the sample ;)

Still, if you queried said sample of Norwegians about whether they knew a) Geoff Hurst, b) Steven Redgrave, c) Michael Vaughan, d) Jonny Wilkinson, e) Eddie the Eagle, f) Magnus Lund, the results would go Hurst, Eddie, Redgrave, Lund/Wilkinson/Vaughan, I reckon.
How horrifying. :-O

What about basketball? I only ask beacuse it's now more-or-less illegal to refer to Magnus without mentioning that his dad play it for Norway. presume that's where he gets his height from.

WRT Rugby, you clearly want a few first & second generation kiwi-norwayanese to bolster your ranks.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
why is cricket always reffered by people who dont know much about it like " its a game played by english people"(at least here) or like its a game played by indians - its a game played by *name here*?
Because with the exception of Football (soccer) and basketball, basically all sports are confined to a reasonably small area. I imagine a lot of people would describe ice hockey as a sport played by Canadians.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
BoyBrumby said:
What about basketball? I only ask beacuse it's now more-or-less illegal to refer to Magnus without mentioning that his dad play it for Norway. .
Basketball is about the level it is in the UK, I reckon. NBA is fairly popular (as in has a number of devoted followers and a large number of people who wear the caps and jerseys because they're cool), national league is theoretically professional but no one really knows how it survives and the players are usually US college rejects, and a national team match is greeted with the same media attention as a national team match in cricket. Most people have a fair idea about the rules, tho.

In the days of Magnus' dad, I'd imagine basketball was a sport played by dedicated amateurs. (A basketball cap for Norway means little. The half-decent Swedish-Norwegian high jumper Håkan Särnblom has a cap for Norway.)