• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Norway to build national cricket stadium?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
A hex on that. :furious:
Would you prefer the whales to kill seals and swallow up the fish?

Whaling is no more cruel to animals than rearing cows in industrial farms, breeding hens in three-cubic-centimetre boxes, or slaughtering pigs by the million. The only difference is that with whale oil no longer a commercial product, the demand for whale has gone down drastically, and thus it doesn't cost the USA, UK and Europe to ban whaling but keep industrial production followed by mass slaughter of other life forms.

Meat is murder.

(and the national sport of Norway is football. Followed by Division 1 football, Premiership football, cross-country skiing, and biathlon. Cricket is about 35th in the ranking of sports, below rowing, kayaking and orienteering, and on a par with rugby and field hockey in the Norwegian consciouness.)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've little clue about the particulars but is not the killing methods involved in whaling infinately more barbaric than those in those in producing beef, pork, etc?

Oh, and I'm certainly no fan of said cramped breeding methods. I'm 100% against it, and, really, meat in general. I'm not an animal-rights-activist (though I am a vegeterian - while not for animal-rights reasons) but I'm certainly anti-blood-sports. And unlike whales (and the rest of the carnivore population) humans are possessed of intelligence and have it in them to know better.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I've little clue about the particulars but is not the killing methods involved in whaling infinately more barbaric than those in those in producing beef, pork, etc?
Not particularly. You shoot a harpoon, which explodes inside the whale, the whale wrenches around for a few seconds (or at most a few minutes), it dies. It's not pretty but killing isn't, as a rule.

Richard said:
Oh, and I'm certainly no fan of said cramped breeding methods. I'm 100% against it, and, really, meat in general. I'm not an animal-rights-activist (though I am a vegeterian - while not for animal-rights reasons) but I'm certainly anti-blood-sports.
At least that's a consistent viewpoint. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There are surely "prettier" ways of killing than that?

As I say - I'm certainly no expert, but if such similar methods are used in everday farming, well... I'm absolutely horrified, frankly, and glad I've never had any part in it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I wasn't referring to whales - IMO if you can't kill something in a un-barbaric (usually goes pretty well hand-in-hand with "pretty") way, you have no right to kill it full-stop.

I was referring more to general farming practices.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
WRT Rugby, you clearly want a few first & second generation kiwi-norwayanese to bolster your ranks.
Why wait that long? You have scouts waiting at Heathrow for the latest bunch of Kiwi blokes heading over to the UK for their OE (overseas experience)... :p

LA ICE-E

State Captain
(and the national sport of Norway is football. Followed by Division 1 football, Premiership football, cross-country skiing, and biathlon. Cricket is about 35th in the ranking of sports, below rowing, kayaking and orienteering, and on a par with rugby and field hockey in the Norwegian consciouness.)
thanks... whats cricket in the list just counting team sport?(i dont count other sports thats not a team sport a sport for some reason)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
thanks... whats cricket in the list just counting team sport?(i dont count other sports thats not a team sport a sport for some reason)
What an elitist view.

Anyway:

1) Football, 2) Handball, 3) Ice hockey, 4) Basketball, 5) Volleyball, 6) Floorball, 7) Bandy, 8) Rugby/cricket/baseball/yankball/frisbee.

If you count curling as a team sport then cricket moves down a notch.

(and yes, I know half of these sports don't exist outside Norway.)

LA ICE-E

State Captain
What an elitist view.

Anyway:

1) Football, 2) Handball, 3) Ice hockey, 4) Basketball, 5) Volleyball, 6) Floorball, 7) Bandy, 8) Rugby/cricket/baseball/yankball/frisbee.

so then how did you get into cricket?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
What an elitist view.

Anyway:

Now you're just making sports up to fool the gullible English, yes? :p

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Now you're just making sports up to fool the gullible English, yes? :p
Nope. In fact, (you're never going to believe this) bandy comes from the Fens - it's a lot like field hockey, but played on ice, and you can shoot from anywhere you like. It's just that when England got milder things didn't freeze any more, so bandy vanished.

Floorball is a tougher variant of field hockey, really. You're actually allowed to shoot at goal, but the goal is smaller. And you're even allowed to tackle.

Craig

World Traveller
What an elitist view.

Anyway:

So thanks to Thor Hushovd cycling would be up there in summer sports (although it is winter as well, see them race through areas where it is snowing)?

Be good if Norway can get something of a cricket ground/stadium built.

Craig

World Traveller
Drammens Tidende reports on Norway's cricket situation

For those unfortunate among you not fluent in the Scandinavian tongues, the story runs like this: Marienlyst stadium, the old home ground of Strømsgodset IF (Norwegian league champions in 1970, four-time Norwegian cup winners, sufferers of Liverpool's largest competitive win and, latterly, most known for being Jostein Flo's final place to play professional football) is being redeveloped as Strømsgodset are planning to move to a new stadium. Local politician Jousuf Gilani wishes to make the ground into the first dedicated cricket stadium in Scandinavia, which could host exhibition matches with international players (he hopes) as well as Norwegian league games. There might even be seats for the crowd (the current pitches are basically football fields with artificial turf, and watching from the sidelines involves sitting on the grass) The usual arguments about integration is also bandied about, coincidentally a couple of days after a prominent lawyer, Abid Q. Raja, wrote a letter to Aftenposten urging the politicians to prioritise cricket.

Two of Norway's 29 organised clubs are placed in Drammen, but the city is nevertheless famed for other sports, and personally I think the plans are unlikely to come through. Not least because among the other suggested plans there is a shopping centre - which is perfectly ridiculous because there is a shopping centre 150 metres away from it - and a handball hall - which is equally ridiculous, with there being an international class handball hall 50 metres away from the area. The only thing I could perhaps support is a bandy field - bandy is a popular sport in Drammen, one of three places where it survives in Norway - but bandy is dead in all countries except for Sweden, Finland and Russia, while cricket is a world sport where Norway have good opportunities to become a Scandinavian leader with some kind of facilities.

Meh. I'm dreaming. :p
Is there a basic way out of understanding Norwegian?

Who would be funding it if it happened, the government or private business or both?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Craig said:
So thanks to Thor Hushovd cycling would be up there in summer sports (although it is winter as well, see them race through areas where it is snowing)?
Actually, cycling has been up there for a fair while - at least we've had a number of decent athletes. It's never been a winter sport, though, not even mountainbike cycling. Usually, speed skaters have used it as summer training, and from the 70s onwards we've had quite a few decent professionals.

Is there a basic way out of understanding Norwegian?
Learn German.

]Who would be funding it if it happened, the government or private business or both?
Government, I'd expect. With possibly a bit of private sponsorship.

The government are going to regulate the area first though - so they might say that "ok, this is going to be industrial or residential area" - or they'll decide what kind of sport project they want to sponsor.