• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Marcus Trescothick?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Whoever taught you that neat little trick did the board a great disservice.
The name's Gelman. Zac Gelman.
You're keen....can be absolutely no question about that. But your over excitedness is using up valuable bandwith.
No, your continuous use of new identities wastes far more - not to mention administrators' time in banning them all. 8-)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You can't pick players for your WC squad outside of the 30 man-squad named from what I've read so Trescothick is no chance.

I read something about the ECB trying to get around the rule in regard to Darren Gough however.
I don't think they were trying to get round it to bring in Gough.

The only reason his name has been brought up is because Darren Gough has brought it up.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Actually, doesn't the squad have to come from the 30?

England have had to get special dispensation to pick from outside it.
The squad officially does have to come from the 30, but I don't imagine the ICC would stop any team selecting someone from outside it - especially in strange circumstances such as Trescothick.

pskov

International 12th Man
If someone in the 30 picks up an injury they are allowed to be swapped out, then the new player swapped in for them can be selected in the final 15. Thus, Graveney phones up Amjad Khan, asks him to pretend to get injured, Gough in to replace him and then voila he's off to the World Cup.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think they were trying to get round it to bring in Gough.

The only reason his name has been brought up is because Darren Gough has brought it up.
The way they were putting it on Sky, the Barneses, Pringles, etc. of this World were more than keen on mentioning said name - probably before Gough even had the chance, given that he was likely to either be asleep or out on the town at the time of the announcement.

haroon510

International 12th Man
i don't know if he is going to play in the world cup or not but i have always find this guy impersive in all three forms of them game. i think one of the best opening batsment in all three forms of the game.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The way they were putting it on Sky, the Barneses, Pringles, etc. of this World were more than keen on mentioning said name - probably before Gough even had the chance, given that he was likely to either be asleep or out on the town at the time of the announcement.
Gough's been mentioning his name in regards to the World Cup for weeks now even though nobody else is seriously considering him.

The out of the 30 should've served to be the wake-up call to him, but clearly it didn't.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not disputing that but I am saying that he was certainly not solely responsible for the "it's Gough" speculation.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Had a really heated discussion about Mr. Trescothick with Halsey the other day. He (Tom) reminded me a lot of Richard. Trescothick has a lot to do to prove that he's worthy of a WC call. And given the time between now and the tournament, I don't see how he can do it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eh? What was TH sounding like me by saying?

And more to the point - why on Earth were you discussing the Marcus Trescothick case with him? :blink: