• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dilemma for England when KP returns?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Which is why I said it as though it's pretty obvious... Jeezus was there really any need to post that reply?

Some people were suggesting they thought Strauss being dropped was a possibility - I pointed-out that it wasn't really.
At the time of their posts though, Vaughan was expected to play, and people were discussing what what happen if Pietersen came back. Hence, Loye and one of Bell/Strauss/Joyce/Dalrymple had to be dropped.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And I was saying that there was no chance whatsoever, if such a thing happened, of that being Strauss. Too much faith has been placed in him to expect it to run-out now.

pskov

International 12th Man
For me, Loye and Strauss are battling it out for the right to open the innings with Vaughan in the World Cup. I don't rate Strauss much as an ODI batsman, but don't really think Loye can be consistently successful with his rather silly technique. Maybe the slower and lower pitches out in the Windes will benefit his slog-sweep shot, but I would rather have Strauss really, even if there's nothing in the batting he's at a much better fielder and runner between the wickets.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If all are fit - I'd like to see the following open the World Cup:

Vaughan
Joyce
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Dalrymple
Read (but it'll obviously be Nixon)
Plunkett
Panesar
Anderson

Of course we'll probably see Strauss ahead of Joyce, and Lewis somewhere in there.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Vaughan
Joyce
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Dalrymple
Plunkett
Panesar
Anderson

Of course we'll probably see Strauss ahead of Joyce, and Lewis somewhere in there.
That's more-or-less how I'd go. It'd be extremely harsh on Plunkers for him to make way for Lewis, but if the pitches in the Windies are playing as slow & low as I keep reading it'll probably happen.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Surely Strauss has to come out for Pietersen. The rest of the guys can actually play! (Assuming Vaughan has come back in at Loye's expense)

jammay123

State 12th Man
id drop vaughn and strauss but id keep strauss in the wc cup. id keep loye in and id make fred the cap this would make room for kp and well win the cup

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's more-or-less how I'd go. It'd be extremely harsh on Plunkers for him to make way for Lewis, but if the pitches in the Windies are playing as slow & low as I keep reading it'll probably happen.
Given that some of them are new pitches there's precisely no way to know how they'll play.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Vaughan
Joyce
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Dalrymple
Plunkett
Panesar
Anderson

I'd honestly be surprised if Lewis was picked ahead of Panesar - and the chances of his being picked ahead of Anderson and Plunkett I'd guess would be roughly zero.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd honestly be surprised if Lewis was picked ahead of Panesar - and the chances of his being picked ahead of Anderson and Plunkett I'd guess would be roughly zero.
I guess he could be picked ahead of Dalrymple. Plunkett's batting is good enough for 8 in ODIs clearly. Nixon at 7 would be a worry though...

FRAZ

International Captain
That's exactly it. Plunkett's batting is NOT good enough for number 8 if Nixon is at number 7.
I feel as if after number 6 girls are sent to bat on . Loye gotta bat at number 6 and I want some expert opinion on this issue !

FRAZ

International Captain
As I said - Loye has always been a natural at three or four, not so low as six.
He is an "Atul Badade" kinda version . He pre-plans his shots and loves to loft . I want him at number 6 cuz I see nothing especial once Flintoff gets out ..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I feel as if after number 6 girls are sent to bat on . Loye gotta bat at number 6 and I want some expert opinion on this issue !
Why do you keep asking for expert opinion on everything? Who here is an "expert"?

The only ones I could think of that could be described as "experts" on the matter are national team selectors - and their opinion is obvious by the fact that Loye either opens or doesn't play at all. The experts disagree with you.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mal Loye is in the team to get the innings off to a quick start. He's there to set the table for the likes of Pietersen and Flintoff. He would not be suited to the number six spot. His shots are high risk and less so with the fielding restrictions enforced.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why do you keep asking for expert opinion on everything? Who here is an "expert"?

The only ones I could think of that could be described as "experts" on the matter are national team selectors - and their opinion is obvious by the fact that Loye either opens or doesn't play at all. The experts disagree with you.
IAH I'd really say that there are a good few on here who could quite justifiably be called experts, if not experts of renown.

irfan

State Captain
my Eng team for the WC
1. Loye
2. Joyce
3. Bell
4. Pietersen
5. Collingwood
6. Flintoff
7. Dalrymple
8. Mr Not Cricket
9. Plunkett