• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW awards feedback Pt. II

pasag

RTDAS
Right, last time there was a questionnaire and although they are fun to fill out I don't really think they provide much insight. So in general, please post what you think about the awards, what you like about them, what you dislike about them and most importantly where do you think they can improve. All suggestions welcome, although try keeping it constructive.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
The awards are good. I think the efforts the organisers/judges go to for their winners is to be much admired, although I know if I see a post which is worthy of being nominated for something, I'm never going to track down the appropriate emails and flick a link off to the judges, particularly as I'm on dial-up as home. I think the independence/lack of "official" status within Cricketweb is a good thing - as otherwise they could become somewhat sanitised. That they're a success is obvious considering the number of posts you see after a certain clever/stupid/insightful post suggesting that's a potential award winner. Not sure how many nominations the judges get from normal forum members though - is there any easier way? Probably not.

pasag

RTDAS
Tbh, I don't like the way Adharcric, Nightprowler10 and soon to be Richard's position is used. No offence to them (especially not to Richard who hasn't even started yet) but I don't like the idea of them choosing the awards.

What I suggest is that Adharcric, Nightprowler10 and Richard, the junior members of the team, all provide the senior members of the team - Marc and Archie with various options and nominations on what and who could win each award, say four posts for each category and Marc and Archie choose from that. I think that would be a better system tbh.

I hope that doesn't sound too negative as I do, as I'm sure is the case with many others, greatly appreciate the job they do.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I think they are great, Is once a week too frequent? Maybe. Once a month better? Maybe, Cant decide. Maybe you should have another one to pick the best from the four/five weekly awards and announce a monthly winner too. Like a man of the series to add to the Man of the Match. :)

They are great fun. Keep up the humour. PLUS they make it easier for someone like me who vanishes for long periods to save time in catching up on the best of what I have missed. :)

Great work. Thanks are due to Archie_mac and all others who have assisted him in this. Keep it up.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think that is an issue at all. With the amount of cricket being played these days, i think having it once a week is actually quite good.
I think you are right.

I just have to look at so many of them when I come back from hibernation and start looking :)

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
What I suggest is that Adharcric, Nightprowler10 and Richard, the junior members of the team, all provide the senior members of the team - Marc and Archie with various options and nominations on what and who could win each award, say four posts for each category and Marc and Archie choose from that. I think that would be a better system tbh.
Archie and Marc pretty much have the final word on it as it is, all we do is let them know our preference, or at least thats the way I understood it when I volunteered my services.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I still think they are a decent idea in principle.

It went through a stage where the quality of judging was poor and Im not sure what was going on. One or maybe 2 of the people that have served on the panel have hardly filled me with confidence that they are capable or respected enough to be the judge on some awards.

I mean as a hypothetical example, how can you resepect an award for being the most knowledgable poster or something similar if the guy giving the award away knows ****-all about the game (not directed at anyone in particular)? The awards became pretty pointless IMO and winning something became a lottery and devalued. Thats why I withdrew my participation.

Im ot knocking them per se. I know a lot of people get a lot of enjoyment out of them, I just think they are not for me.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I suggest that SS gets banned from having any say in the awards whatsoever, and isn't ever a candidate for any 'Positive' awards.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

It went through a stage where the quality of judging was poor and Im not sure what was going on. One or maybe 2 of the people that have served on the panel have hardly filled me with confidence that they are capable or respected enough to be the judge on some awards.

I mean as a hypothetical example, how can you resepect an award for being the most knowledgable poster or something similar if the guy giving the award away knows ****-all about the game (not directed at anyone in particular)? The awards became pretty pointless IMO and winning something became a lottery and devalued. Thats why I withdrew my participation.

Im ot knocking them per se. I know a lot of people get a lot of enjoyment out of them, I just think they are not for me.
It's quite fair enough, I once thought the same way, but I've very much changed my opinion, I think they're a great idea and terrific fun.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The awards are good. I think the efforts the organisers/judges go to for their winners is to be much admired, although I know if I see a post which is worthy of being nominated for something, I'm never going to track down the appropriate emails and flick a link off to the judges, particularly as I'm on dial-up as home.
Presuming you're one of many there - this is one reason I wanted to become involved, as I read most every thread.

adharcric

International Coach
Tbh, I don't like the way Adharcric, Nightprowler10 and soon to be Richard's position is used. No offence to them (especially not to Richard who hasn't even started yet) but I don't like the idea of them choosing the awards.

I hope that doesn't sound too negative as I do, as I'm sure is the case with many others, greatly appreciate the job they do.
As np10 mentioned, we forward our choices to Archie, who (along with Marc) has the power to make the final decision. They rarely use that power and it seems like they want the other members to take responsibility for most of the awards, so that's not really an issue.

Fair enough. Let's not forget that the awards are for fun (although the crediblity should be maintained).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I suggest that SS gets banned from having any say in the awards whatsoever, and isn't ever a candidate for any 'Positive' awards.
That would be like denying Bradman from winning any batting awards. I could see you doing it, but that doesn't mean any credibility would be left.