• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW awards feedback Pt. II

archie mac

International Coach
They're just a bit of fun, really, aren't they? Generally I'm not fussed. I scan each thread to see if I won one, and I'm happy if I do. Doesn't bother me too much if I don't, but I clearly care enough to look. ;)

But if people want to take them more seriously, and are worried about the credibility/expertise of those giving out the awards, the "most knowledgable poster" award should be dumped. Or give it to archie, who would dispute his historical knowledge of the game?

Anyhow, I only have a few gripes/suggestions if anybody's interested - one is that the skull is regularly far from the funniest post of the week, and to be brutally honest, in addition to people probably not nominating something they saw that made them laugh, I think that's 'cause archie and Marc aren't the greatest judges of humor. :p Also, I think the award for prolific posting (I forget what it's called) should be scrapped, 'cause it's kinda dumb. Certainly things might be better if we could somehow encourage more people to bother nominating posts/threads/people for awards.

As far as I'm concerned, I have no issues with adharcric and nightprowler, they seem like good judges to me. Ideally I think they should all decide on three-to-five possibilities for each award and then the group somehow collectively discuss 'em. But I'm not sure you really want to create more work than you're already doing. I wish I had more time, I'd offer to help out, but my online leisure time has been more sporadic of late as my son gets closer to three.
Some very good point SL makes. Just a couple of points, it is not for most posts during the week but more for visiting the most varied threads. the idea of the Sobers is to encourage members to visit threads that don't just involve their No. 1 team.

I agree I do not relate to most peoples sense of humour, but Marc is not too bad:)

Picking the Boycs award is not an easy task, people like SJS, Goughy, BB and Jason, show a great knowledge of cricket history, but we try to make that award also apply to posters who know their stuff about for example modern Indian cricket, that is all of the players on the fringe of selection for instance.

I have been very busy with work this week, but will email all judges about the ideas mentioned in this thread.

Thanks for the feedback:)