• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can symmo be replaced?

brockley

International Captain
ICC lawmakers to determine Symonds' fate
Email Print Normal font Large font February 6, 2007 - 6:24PM

Australian officials are seeking urgent ICC clarification of squad regulations that may determine Andrew Symonds' 2007 World Cup fate.

The ICC's general manager of cricket, former South African wicketkeeper Dave Richardson, is presently in the West Indies and will consult with his Dubai headquarters.

The question at issue is whether or not the selection of Symonds would effectively reduce the Australian squad - to be announced at the end of the tri-series finals - from 15 to 14 if he was later ruled unfit.

Australian captain Ricky Ponting conceded it would be a risk to include Symonds, who had arm surgery last Sunday, in the team - but he wanted him to accompany the side on the tour.

Ponting, who won a third Allan Border Medal on Monday night, said Symonds was a key player in the bid for a third consecutive World Cup, but danger loomed if there were any other injuries.

Symonds underwent surgery to reattach the bicep in his right arm which he tore from the bone while batting against England in the day-night match last Friday.

Ponting is anxious for Symonds to travel to the World Cup

"Absolutely," Ponting said. "I think there are a few things we have to check out with the ICC first as far as taking an injured player away to the West Indies is concerned.

"But if it works out the way that we think it will...the doctors have basically said six or seven weeks and he should be right to start playing again then.

"That sort of period comes at a really crucial time in the middle of the World Cup there so to have him around and playing those games would be great for us," he said.

"He's such an important player for us and I know how much he wants to be at the World Cup as well, so we've got a lot of thinking to do to see if we pick him in the squad to take over to the West Indies."

But he said there was a risk that Australia could be caught out if Symonds were included and another player were injured during the tour.

"It could be. They are the sort of things we're going to have to weigh up and that's where it's going to be really difficult (considering) just how great a player he is for our team," Ponting said.

"I and the selectors and the coach really need to sit down and talk about that.

"That is a difficult question at the moment - can we risk taking an injured player away, and if we happen to have another one or two injuries over there then we could get caught short."

But Ponting said Symonds' abilities were hard to resist.

"He'd be picked in any world XI one-day team," he said.

"What he gives our team with his batting, obviously his fielding and his bowling is a pretty complete package.

"I'd love to have him around, he's actually just a great personality to have around the team as well."

Ponting said it was logical to include Symonds with the team but his enthusiasm might have to be managed carefully.

"Definitely. He'll get the best treatment when he's around our team anyway," he said.

"I know he's the sort of bloke who, having him around, he probably won't be able to not join in and do something in training so we're going to have to be pretty careful with him."

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If he's named in the squad when injured, I don't see how he should be allowed to be replaced to be honest.

If someone gets injured mid-Tournament, that's a completely different matter.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If he's named in the squad when injured, I don't see how he should be allowed to be replaced to be honest.

If someone gets injured mid-Tournament, that's a completely different matter.
Wouldn't it coincidental if Brad Hodge got a mystery illness just as Symonds recovered and had to be replaced for the remainder of the tournament?

I'd be surprised if that didn't happen really.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm often amazed at how often it doesn't happen.

It's a pretty much uncloseable loophole in ' law, that. Yet I can't recall any remotely suspicious "illness\injury" which allowed an inferior player out at the expense of a recently-recovered superior...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The other option is just to include Symonds in the 15 and hope he's fit for the games near the end. It's not like Australia will actually need more than 14 players unless injuries hit - in which case they can bring in replacements anyway.

Speersy

U19 Cricketer
Yep the ICC has allowed us to name Roy in the team and get another player if we are running short

pup11

International Coach
Its really not fair to say that watto almost fills the void left by symo. Symo is one of best odi batsman going around, he is also one of the best fielders, and though his medium pace doesn't match up to watson's but his off-spin really gives variety to aussie attack. Watto is an ever improving player but there is a long way to go for him.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Its really not fair to say that watto almost fills the void left by symo. Symo is one of best odi batsman going around, he is also one of the best fielders, and though his medium pace doesn't match up to watson's but his off-spin really gives variety to aussie attack. Watto is an ever improving player but there is a long way to go for him.
Watson and Symonds both would have played in the first choice XI - its Hodge that's replacing Symonds in the Australian side. So "Watson replacing Symonds" points are invalid.

This thread isn't actually about that though - it's about whether Australia are allowed to replace Symonds in the WC squad if he doesn't recover from his injury. According to cricinfo, the answer is yes.