• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Favourite World Cup

gunner

U19 Cricketer
Heres my List

1992- Was just edge of your seat stuff watching pakistan go on to win it when given no chance by anyone and only gettng through the pools cos a match was rained out

1999- In terms of pure entertainment and for including some of the best players the game has ever seen in 1 tourney this tourney was the best but didnt have the final it deserved(too 1 sided) so this will stay at 2 for me

Now you can only say the World Cups which you have seen,

For Example- Indian Fans cannot Say 1983 when they were born in say 1989 or something.
You have to have been Alive and witnessed the world cup

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IMO the only modern-era WCs which did more good than they did harm to the game were the 1992 and 1999 ones. 1996 was simply a ludicrous format, and in 2003 the quality was with extremely rare exceptions abysmal.

1975, 1979 and 1983 evidently had enough interesting stuff to keep us occupied, though clearly all predate my birth so I don't remember them and to put it mildly there are a few parts of cricket history that interest me more than ODIs in the 1970s and 1980s so I haven't studied them in incredible depth. The fact that I at first missed Allan Lamb from a best-England-XI of said period should tell you a bit. Lloyd's final innings in 1975 is the only thing that's ever really stood-out to me. I know next to nothing about 1987 aside from THAT reverse-sweep, the eventual result and the results in the semis.

1992 was the first thing that really got me interested in cricket, and 1999 was the thing that really made me sit-up and take note of the fact that other countries did actually exist when they weren't playing England. So both played a massive part in my interest in the game.

And had they not been such good tournaments I doubt it'd have happened.

Dravid

International Captain
2003, India was in the final, even though they got killed there, and they had a really good world cup. And it was the only one I watched live.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
1966, then the Union one in 2003.
Those 2 have got something in common... I know they have... just one thing, mind... aaarrrggghhh, I can't put me finger on it... :huh:

Yes! I know! They were both cricket World Cups! That's it! :happy:

No... no that's wrong... isn't it... oh, I don't know... :mellow:

FRAZ

International Captain
Those 2 have got something in common... I know they have... just one thing, mind... aaarrrggghhh, I can't put me finger on it... :huh:

Yes! I know! They were both cricket World Cups! That's it! :happy:

No... no that's wrong... isn't it... oh, I don't know... :mellow:
Some times I feel sorry for people who still live in 1966,they are just like us (Torontonians) .. Our Stanley cup came about the same time.But still on - paper we always win :) .. We are all sorry guys :@ ..

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Lucky buggers didn't have to face the All Blacks... [/Bitter Kiwi rant]

Kidding, by the way - I'd say you would have beaten us.
Not convinced myself. I think we were definitely on the way down as a team by the actual WC. We peaked on our Australasian tour just before when we won in Oz for the first time ever & beat your mob with about three forwards left on the pitch.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Like lots of people, my first WC made the biggest impression on me, so I'll unapolagetically play the old git card and vote for 1975. There were some very good games, notably the final,a terrific WI vs Pak game, Kallicheran setting about Lillee in the group stages and a very strange Aus vs England semi. And I still think Lloyd's 100 was a as good a oneday innings as you could wish to see. But obviously I'm biased. I was very young, it was that rare thing of a glorious English summer, and I was enthralled.

Other than that, 1992 was probably the best. 1979 was far too onesided, 1983 was memorable for the result and kapil's amazing rescue act against Zim, but not much else. 1987 was extremely ordinary. 1996 I quite liked, but it wasn't helped by pull-outs, riot,and the whole mythology about Jaya & Kalu switched me off it a bit. 1999 was very good apart from the final. Thinking about it, that tourney would be right up there if Pak had bothered to turn up for the final. 2003's a bit like 1979 for mine, although there were a couple of decent games along the way.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
IMO 1992 Yes it was the first one I remember and the last one england were competent in but it also had the fairest format (funny how its took them 15 years to repeat it) the novelty factor of SA's fairytale comeback spoliled by the rain rule - although I think they'd have lost anyway - one more wicket and they were down to bowlers - and they were no really weak teams - even the Zimbabwe team would hammer the current one and were good enough to take advantage of complacent England. And then there was Pakistan somehow survivng the league thanks to the rain and already KOed Australia beating the Windies - you'll not believe this but I thought at the time "if they get to the semis they can win it" -shame I was too young to bet really! of the other ones I can remember i'd say 1996 next for the batting and the emergence of Sri lanka, 1999 (rescued by the meetings between Australia, SA and Pakistan - at least until the Final) and finally 2003 (too one-sided - not Australia's fault - and the forfeits - why they didn't deduct points from England and NZ rather than add them to Zimbabwe and Kenya's total - if they'd done that Pakistan and WI would have got to Super Six and it might have been a beter tournament)

Xuhaib

International Coach
Heres my List

1992- Was just edge of your seat stuff watching pakistan go on to win it when given no chance by anyone and only gettng through the pools cos a match was rained out

1999- In terms of pure entertainment and for including some of the best players the game has ever seen in 1 tourney this tourney was the best but didnt have the final it deserved(too 1 sided) so this will stay at 2 for me

Now you can only say the World Cups which you have seen,

For Example- Indian Fans cannot Say 1983 when they were born in say 1989 or something.
You have to have been Alive and witnessed the world cup
Are you Gambino from Pak Passion forums?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Easily 99.

The only thing it was missing was an at least competitive final, and I blame it on Anwar changing his grip whilst he was smashing the ball to all parts. Completely ruined his momentum, and he was bowled next ball by Flemo.

2003 was good for me too, but obviously had its flaws.

I don't remember too much of 96 other than Prasad bowling Aamir Sohail, the Indian crowd behaving like dickheads in the semi vs. SL, Kumble opening the bowling vs. SL in that semi, Stuart Law dropping THAT catch in the final, and Aravinda's knock in the final.

Beleg

International Regular
Remarkable moments:

92:

- Jonty's run-out of Inzy. I remember that.
- Pak vs. India
- Pak vs. NZ
- Pak vs. NZ (semi, Inzi's coming of age)
- SA vs. England (SA were robbed)
- the final (specifically rameez's catch (and the celebration that erupted in the streets) and Wasim's wickets)

96:

- Donald vs Sultan 'idiot' Zarwani
- Kirsten scoring 188
- England vs. Pakistan
- WI vs. Kenya
- NZ vs Aus, Harris's century
- the quarter final at Bangalore, Waqar Younis getting carted around the park by Jadega, Sohail's finger, Parsad's wicket.
- the india-sri lanka semi - terrible crowd behaviour
- the final, de silva's century
- Aus vs. WI, one of the best ODI matches ever.
- Astle's century, NZ vs. England

99:

- the resiliance of the pakistani lower order during the group stages
- lance klusener
- geoff allot
- saeed anwar
- zimbabwe vs. south africa
- steve eleworthy
- the two SA vs. Aus games
- SA vs. Pakistan (awesome display of batting by SA)
- Shoaib Akhtar vs. Klusener
- Steve Waugh vs. Wasim
- Bevan vs. Wasim

03:

- SA losing out due to miscalculation.
- Symond's hammeirng of Pakistan
- Waqar's beamer
- Inzamam's terrible form

Answer: it's a tie between 96 and 99.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It's a leading question, it implies you have one.

:p

If I had been alive during the '83 cup, I assume that would have been my favorite. Other than that, nothing really.