• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Favourite World Cup

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
One thing I'll say I think is a shame, and am really rather surprised you didn't notice it, is that 1975 (and 1979, and 1983) was a competition of 60-over games,

I'm well aware that it was 60 overs but that's not relevant to making it my favourite World Cup, in fact precisely the opposite after watching Sunil Gavaskar bat through the entire 60 overs in making 36 Not Out.

haroon510

International 12th Man
I'm well aware that it was 60 overs but that's not relevant to making it my favourite World Cup, in fact precisely the opposite after watching Sunil Gavaskar bat through the entire 60 overs in making 36 Not Out.
holly smoks lol do u have any prove for that or the score card for that match. it is rather surprising cuz i have always heard that Gavasker was tenduker type player.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
holly smoks lol do u have any prove for that or the score card for that match. it is rather surprising cuz i have always heard that Gavasker was tenduker type player.

http://uk.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/WORLD_CUPS/WC75/ENG_IND_WC75_ODI1_07JUN1975.html

Officially he thought England's score was unattainable, so he didn't bother trying and fancied some batting practice. There must be more to it than that though. Even on a bad day, he managed rather more than 36 in 60 overs in test cricket.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I'm well aware that it was 60 overs but that's not relevant to making it my favourite World Cup, in fact precisely the opposite after watching Sunil Gavaskar bat through the entire 60 overs in making 36 Not Out.[/QUOTE One thought about that innings. Imagine the fuss if G Boycott had played it. He'd probably been dropped for life...

Slow Love™

International Captain
Aside from the odd highlights, I saw very little of any WC until '92. As an Australian it's hard to go past '92 and '99, though I particularly enjoyed '96, particularly the semi against the West Indians. The noise and atmosphere just seemed so cacophonous, and then there were the fires in the stands, and Tony Grieg panicking after the Sri Lanka vs India pitch invasion...

I was also house-sitting a big home in Oakleigh at the time so I had mates around for most of it while we drank all the home brew stored in the garage...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Meant "mentioned", not "noticed", dunno how I managed to type the wrong word.

Surely anomalies like the Gavaskar innings are worthy of discounting?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Meant "mentioned", not "noticed", dunno how I managed to type the wrong word.

Surely anomalies like the Gavaskar innings are worthy of discounting?

Like I said I didn't "mention" the 60 overs because it wasn't one of the things that made it my favourite World Cup. Even if it had been 50 overs the point is that it still wouldn't have been overly complicated by the current tactics and regulations. The game has moved on and might be better for it but in those days One-Day International Cricket was still in it's infancy. The only reason for bringing in Powerplays and substitutes is because the game had gone stale and predictible. In 1975 they just played cricket and it all seemed fresh. But by the late 70's all you saw were 10 men on the boundary - yes often including the wicket-keeper, remember David Bairstow on one famous occasion - hence the fielding restrictions and circles. This is how the game evolves, but not always for the better.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And I personally say it's evolved all it needs to - except for I would like to see an experiment with uniform 60-over stuff.

IMO the Supersub thing was always a stupid idea, and when it was scapped I thought it was the best thing. There are some things that you just don't need.