Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More problems in zim

More problems in zim

Is this finally something the icc will act on? A blatant human rights violation not just from the government, but endorsed by the cricket board. This has to be enough to get the icc to throw them out surely!
    http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ci/co...ry/278997.html

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Hmm cant help but think this type of thing trivializes (sp?) the real issues.

Yorkshire used to have a "clean shaven" policy that I ran afoul off. Guys were not allowed to have stubble and had to shave each day (if required).

You know what, make a plan and deal with it. You dont have to like it but you are still an employee and a reasonable dress code is fine (even if you find it draconian)
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Hmm cant help but think this type of thing trivializes (sp?) the real issues.

Yorkshire used to have a "clean shaven" policy that I ran afoul off. Guys were not allowed to have stubble and had to shave each day (if required).

You know what, make a plan and deal with it. You dont have to like it but you are still an employee and a reasonable dress code is fine (even if you find it draconian)
    I think there is a cultural thing here aswell though. Its not just them being untidy, its more a faith related thing is it not? Im not sure of the rastafarian religion but is it not part of that whole argument?

If the pakistanis were required to shave i think the whole world not just the cricketing community would come down on the pakistani board like a ton of bricks. Its just because this is a more marginal religion and taking place under a media shroud that it is not being considered worthy of the world news
    Last edited by albo97056; 05-02-2007 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by albo97056 View Post
    I think there is a cultural thing here aswell though. Its not just them being untidy, its more a faith related thing is it not? Im not sure of the rastafarian religion but is it not part of that whole argument?

If the pakistanis were required to shave i think the whole world not just the cricketing community would come down on the pakistani board like a ton of bricks. Its just because this is a more marginal religion and taking place under a media shroud that it is not being considered worthy of the world news
    A haircut is a haircut. I dont care if someone wants it because the really like it or if they believe god will smite them if they cut it or anything in between or any alternative.

Religion is no excuse. Is it being suggested, hypothetically, that if person A had a shaved head for fashion reasons and person A for religious reasons and they were both against a dress code then person A should be allowed to get away with it but A not?

Thats incredibly offensive (Im not saying thats what you are saying) but it looks like the religious argument is based in this.

I think there is so much more to nail Zim for that getting our panties in a twist over this and it devalues the other issues and makes people look like anti-zim zealots rather than people just looking for improvements and changes. Instead we should be looking to nail Zim for the fact that there are serious issues that should not be neglected.
    Last edited by Goughy; 05-02-2007 at 04:40 PM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Aside from anything else...

What on Earth has the Govt got against dreadlocks?!

I mean, they're not my ideal fashion-accessory but to find something wrong with them is surely something Zanu PF and the like alone could do!
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

A haircut is a haircut. I dont care if someone wants it because the really like it or if they believe god will smite them if they cut it or anything in between or any alternative.

Religion is no excuse. Is it being suggested, hypothetically, that if person A had a shaved head for fashion reasons and person A for religious reasons and they were both against a dress code then person A should be allowed to get away with it but A not?

Thats incredibly offensive (Im not saying thats what you are saying) but it looks like the religious argument is based in this.

I think there is so much more to nail Zim for that getting our panties in a twist over this and it devalues the other issues and makes people look like anti-zim zealots rather than people just looking for improvements and changes. Instead we should be looking to nail Zim for the fact that there are serious issues that should not be neglected.
    I aggree with you in that respect, all im saying is just because its a zimbabwean issue its been basically ignored. If it had been about the beards of the pakistan team for example, it would have been in every newspaper in the world.
    I think people should be allowed to wear anything they want within reason and i dont think dreadlocks look particularly untidy, do you? Its just a cultural/ religious thing. Which means it means more to these people than having to have your hair cut because its getting a bit long at the back!
    There is a difference there, however its not a difference that should be given legal boundaries. I could say ive invented a religion where i have to grow one side of my heads hair and not the other, it would look really untidy, but it would still be my belief. You cant impose legal boundaries on things like preference against culture/ religion, nor should you. BUT stating that it is a cultural/ religious thing does mean the argument carries more weight, even though the legality of it should be no different to preference...
    Get what im saying? Im a bit tired so may not be explaining this too well...
    As far as im concerned its wrong anyway. There, done.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Reminds me when I had to shave my mullet off because the principal said "it didn't conform to the school dress code and reflected poorly on the school". Same basic principals apply, it's not an abuse of huam rights from my point of view.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    Reminds me when I had to shave my mullet off because the principal said "it didn't conform to the school dress code and reflected poorly on the school". Same basic principals apply, it's not an abuse of huam rights from my point of view.
    People have been known to go to court over that. Quite often actually

Quote Originally Posted by albo97056 View Post
    BUT stating that it is a cultural/ religious thing does mean the argument carries more weight, even though the legality of it should be no different to preference...
    The statement that makes every rational atheist sick to their stomach.

Ill stop now as I guess it is a cricket thread and no point it getting derailed by religion.

IMO those 2 words just don't go together, at all.
    Ill stop now as I guess it is a cricket thread and no point it getting derailed by religion.
    Oh, yeah...

Im afraid thats just human nature. If someone says they believe something beyond reason, you tend to sympathise with them more...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    IMO those 2 words just don't go together, at all.

Oh, yeah...
    Id love to hear your views on this, im sure youve probably got a books worth of material

This?

A book's worth?

well religion and allthe issues around it. not the hair thing

Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    Reminds me when I had to shave my mullet off because the principal said "it didn't conform to the school dress code and reflected poorly on the school".
    Mullets not allowed in South Otago? What next - Holden Kingswoods banned from Clyde Street?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information