• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

More problems in zim

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm cant help but think this type of thing trivializes (sp?) the real issues.

Yorkshire used to have a "clean shaven" policy that I ran afoul off. Guys were not allowed to have stubble and had to shave each day (if required).

You know what, make a plan and deal with it. You dont have to like it but you are still an employee and a reasonable dress code is fine (even if you find it draconian)

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
Hmm cant help but think this type of thing trivializes (sp?) the real issues.

Yorkshire used to have a "clean shaven" policy that I ran afoul off. Guys were not allowed to have stubble and had to shave each day (if required).

You know what, make a plan and deal with it. You dont have to like it but you are still an employee and a reasonable dress code is fine (even if you find it draconian)
I think there is a cultural thing here aswell though. Its not just them being untidy, its more a faith related thing is it not? Im not sure of the rastafarian religion but is it not part of that whole argument?

If the pakistanis were required to shave i think the whole world not just the cricketing community would come down on the pakistani board like a ton of bricks. Its just because this is a more marginal religion and taking place under a media shroud that it is not being considered worthy of the world news

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I think there is a cultural thing here aswell though. Its not just them being untidy, its more a faith related thing is it not? Im not sure of the rastafarian religion but is it not part of that whole argument?

If the pakistanis were required to shave i think the whole world not just the cricketing community would come down on the pakistani board like a ton of bricks. Its just because this is a more marginal religion and taking place under a media shroud that it is not being considered worthy of the world news
A haircut is a haircut. I dont care if someone wants it because the really like it or if they believe god will smite them if they cut it or anything in between or any alternative.

Religion is no excuse. Is it being suggested, hypothetically, that if person A had a shaved head for fashion reasons and person A for religious reasons and they were both against a dress code then person A should be allowed to get away with it but A not?

Thats incredibly offensive (Im not saying thats what you are saying) but it looks like the religious argument is based in this.

I think there is so much more to nail Zim for that getting our panties in a twist over this and it devalues the other issues and makes people look like anti-zim zealots rather than people just looking for improvements and changes. Instead we should be looking to nail Zim for the fact that there are serious issues that should not be neglected.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Aside from anything else...

What on Earth has the Govt got against dreadlocks?!

I mean, they're not my ideal fashion-accessory but to find something wrong with them is surely something Zanu PF and the like alone could do!

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
A haircut is a haircut. I dont care if someone wants it because the really like it or if they believe god will smite them if they cut it or anything in between or any alternative.

Religion is no excuse. Is it being suggested, hypothetically, that if person A had a shaved head for fashion reasons and person A for religious reasons and they were both against a dress code then person A should be allowed to get away with it but A not?

Thats incredibly offensive (Im not saying thats what you are saying) but it looks like the religious argument is based in this.

I think there is so much more to nail Zim for that getting our panties in a twist over this and it devalues the other issues and makes people look like anti-zim zealots rather than people just looking for improvements and changes. Instead we should be looking to nail Zim for the fact that there are serious issues that should not be neglected.
I aggree with you in that respect, all im saying is just because its a zimbabwean issue its been basically ignored. If it had been about the beards of the pakistan team for example, it would have been in every newspaper in the world.
I think people should be allowed to wear anything they want within reason and i dont think dreadlocks look particularly untidy, do you? Its just a cultural/ religious thing. Which means it means more to these people than having to have your hair cut because its getting a bit long at the back!
There is a difference there, however its not a difference that should be given legal boundaries. I could say ive invented a religion where i have to grow one side of my heads hair and not the other, it would look really untidy, but it would still be my belief. You cant impose legal boundaries on things like preference against culture/ religion, nor should you. BUT stating that it is a cultural/ religious thing does mean the argument carries more weight, even though the legality of it should be no different to preference...
Get what im saying? Im a bit tired so may not be explaining this too well...
As far as im concerned its wrong anyway. There, done.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Reminds me when I had to shave my mullet off because the principal said "it didn't conform to the school dress code and reflected poorly on the school". Same basic principals apply, it's not an abuse of huam rights from my point of view.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
Reminds me when I had to shave my mullet off because the principal said "it didn't conform to the school dress code and reflected poorly on the school". Same basic principals apply, it's not an abuse of huam rights from my point of view.
People have been known to go to court over that. Quite often actually

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
BUT stating that it is a cultural/ religious thing does mean the argument carries more weight, even though the legality of it should be no different to preference...
The statement that makes every rational atheist sick to their stomach. :)

Ill stop now as I guess it is a cricket thread and no point it getting derailed by religion.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
The statement that makes every rational atheist sick to their stomach. :)

Ill stop now as I guess it is a cricket thread and no point it getting derailed by religion.
Im afraid thats just human nature. If someone says they believe something beyond reason, you tend to sympathise with them more...:)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Reminds me when I had to shave my mullet off because the principal said "it didn't conform to the school dress code and reflected poorly on the school".
Mullets not allowed in South Otago? What next - Holden Kingswoods banned from Clyde Street?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
well religion and allthe issues around it. not the hair thing
Oh, why I consider atheism irrational?

Well, I concur with Kev that CC is not the place to discuss such a thing, but basically I find the notion that something as remarkably intricate as this Universe we live in could possibly have happened accidentally totally and utterly ludicrous. Therefore I believe the only sensible thing to believe is that some *greater power* designed it. Very, very specifically, at that.

I'm no Christian or anything (indeed there is much about fundamentalist Christianity to hate IMO - homophobia and ***ism to the fore), I'm not even a Pagan, and I certainly don't practice any form of worship, but atheism to me lacks logic.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I knew as soon as you posted in here that it would be about my post.