• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nielsen announced as Aus coach

archie mac

International Coach
A bit surprising, i thought Tom Moody would get it, but still a good decision for Australia

Tom withdrew from consideration

If Aust do win the WC (lets hope for crickets sake they don't) he will be on a hiding to nothing, no where to go except down

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Moody wanted to stay with SL, and good on him for that.

It'll be interesting to see what the reaction to Nielsen is - Buchanan, who from the little I've read Nielsen seems to be broadly similar to, always seemed to have the respect of all but the bad-boy Warne-style characters in the Aus dressing-room, but never the Ian Chappells (and is it any coincidence that Warne and Chappell were very close, while Stephen Waugh, who shared a mutual-hate relationship with Chappell, got on superbly with Buchanan?) and the generally old-school types.

I'd say it's good succession to have the man in charge of the Academy put in charge of the national team.

How old is Nielsen, BTW?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, I thought it was something like that.

So is he goes well, what's the odds on him breaking Simpson's record for tenure length?

Dravid

International Captain
Interesting move. With a new coach, and new players coming in soon because of more retirements, it's going to be interesting to see how Australia do

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IMO the more "new" the better.

Once a break is started, better to make it as clean as you can.

Gilchrist, Hayden, Langer to a large extent (played under Marsh for a season), Gillespie to a large extent (will he ever get back in?), Brett Lee, these are all for-all-intents and purposes Buchanan's players.

And IMO he could have stood-down at no better moment than at the same time as a large number of his players (though him and Warne going at the same time is nothing more than an irony).

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Good to see we have the best coach in world still. :D

I think this is a good move for Australia rather then bring back one of their overseas coach. Nielsen has worked pretty closely with all the new players that are going to come into the side at academy level. So he should know how to get the most out of them and the best way to manage their skills, so they can best field the gap left by the retiring players.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think it was something that had the "potential" to be (heart related IIRC) but he's since had an operation, even played a few games of sub-district cricket and that, so I think it's all OK.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Poor bloke - misses what would've been 3\4s of his Test career through a million different injuries... then has his retirement disrupted by heart-problems. :down:

howardj

International Coach
Moody wanted to stay with SL, and good on him for that.

It'll be interesting to see what the reaction to Nielsen is - Buchanan, who from the little I've read Nielsen seems to be broadly similar to, always seemed to have the respect of all but the bad-boy Warne-style characters in the Aus dressing-room, but never the Ian Chappells (and is it any coincidence that Warne and Chappell were very close, while Stephen Waugh, who shared a mutual-hate relationship with Chappell, got on superbly with Buchanan?) and the generally old-school types.
No mate. Apparently Tugga, in the end, got sick of Buchanan's funky modus operandi as well.