• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket without stumps

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Ok, this could be the stupidest thread of all time, but bear with me.

As I was idly waiting for my stupid bus to show up 15 minutes late the other day, I was whimsically amusing myself by imagining what cricket would be like if there were no stumps. So how would our great game be different?

Discuss.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

As I was idly waiting for my stupid bus to show up 15 minutes late the other day, I was whimsically amusing myself by imagining what cricket would be like if there were no stumps. So how would our great game be different?

Discuss.
The bails would be on the ground, for one.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Well you would have to obviously introduce a rule along the lines of, if you miss the ball 3 times you are out.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator

Discuss.
We'd call it baseball for one...

Alysum

U19 Debutant
i'd imagine we'd have sensor stumps; i.e. a radar will work out whether the stumps would have been toucher, the empire replaced by a clothe hanger and a speaker will go *BEEP*

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

Discuss.
Conveniently left out what you must've been smoking at the time.

luffy

International Captain
Amen

Discuss.
People could just charge a spinner every ball and not worry about getting stumped.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
The cost for the television companies to replace the Stump Cam (standing proudly alone behind the batsman) every time it was hit would be gargantuan.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Basically, it would become a blood sport, where the only intention of the bowler is to try and hurt the batsman. Bodyline would never have happened, helmets would have been outlawed, and games would be restricted to once a year. It'd get novelty pieces on news programmes all over the world, like the Running of the Bulls, as people laugh at guys getting knocked out by a cricket ball.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
At the end of the day, the umpires would say "OK, lads, that's ..... ummm........ "

Fiery

Banned
:laugh: Nice

On a more serious note, this being a serious discussion...you would lose 6 methods of dismissal, leaving just 4

Last edited: