Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Sehwag Has Tasted More Success In Tests

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar

Why Sehwag Has Tasted More Success In Tests

I have figured out the reason behind why Sehwag has succeeded more in the longer version of the game than the shorter one .

First of all, I must explain that I am very similar to Sehwag in terms of batting; opener, limited feet movement, doesn't like to get tied down by bowlers, goes for his shots, agressive, etc etc.

Now today I had sat down, and since I had nothing else better to do, I began analyzing my last summer's batting. And I came to the conclusion that I, eventhough am an agressive batsmen, like to play the longer version of the game and not want to get tied down with a limited number of overs.

In other words, eventhough I love smacking the ball and going for my shots, I don't want any restrictions on me (in this case the number of balls I have to make my runs). I don't like to have pressure put on me, instead I would like an unlimited number of overs so that I can slow down whenever I want, I don't have to be agressive at all times. In conclusion, I can be as agressive or as defensive as I want without having to worry about the overs. To actually be defensive in my approach is another matter. When there is a certain number of overs in which I have to make my runs, I fall under pressure and tend to go for every ball and end up losing my wicket. And I think the same applies to Sehwag.

This is just a theory, however, not necessarily true.
    Last edited by Turbinator; 04-02-2007 at 04:24 PM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Why has Sehwag had success in Tests?

Butter-fingered fielders.

No, even I'll not go so far as that, but consider this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osman Samiuddin
    when he was dropped at slip in Shoaib Akhtar's second over, a chance that came harder of the bat's edge than it did from the bowler's hand, déjà vu reared. There has been much talk in Pakistan of how to stop Sehwag. As a strategy, catching the chances he offers often enough might not be such a bad one. Imran Farhat's drop wasn't in the end costly but consider this: in eight Test matches now against Sehwag, Pakistan have contrived to drop him more than ten times, showing no bias between chances simple or difficult. Usually, as at Multan, Mohali and even Lahore - when he was dropped on 125 and 199 - he has taken a heavy toll. He has pillaged from them over thousand runs but conceivably, it could be half the amount.
    He is totally correct IMO and it's also worth noting that the only difference between brilliant-series and got-a-start-loads-but-never-went-on in Australia in 2003\04 was Simon Katich's poor performance at gully at The MCG.

Sehwag has still been a fine Test opening-batsman for most of the last 3 years or so, but IMO he's not as good as his scorebook-average makes him look.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Or maybe he's just hitting it so hard that it is un-catchable ... In that case credit goes to him.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    He tries to play too aggressively in one dayers. A strike rate of 96 v 76 may not sound that big a difference but it is actually more than 20 percent more attacking play. That obviously means going out of the areas where Sehwag feels comfortable which means that he plays far more get out shots in one dayers.

Sehwag's natural game gives him a s/r of 76 while for most players, it would result in a S/R of 40-65. That will give you lower averages in one dayers. This does not mean that Sehwag will not have as many get out shots when he tries to play shots he normally wouldn't in tests.

Another aspect is that when opening the batting in one dayers, he feels the respnsibility to play shots as soon as possible rather than settling down a bit. If you aren't adjusted to the bounce of the pitch, there is always a high chance of getting out. Maybe batting in the middle order could be the perfect place for Sehwag. He can play out a few overs and then bat naturally and still play at a strike rate of over 75 - a great option for any team. So a position like number 4 is some thing I wouldn't have mind trying at. However, he is not reliable/consistent enough and so number 3 seems the better position (some thing like 5 or 6 is too late as he isn't really a slogger). Dravid's reliability can be a great asset at 4.

So ideally, (I say ideally because the given is very unlikely) I would have the first five as:

Tendulkar
    Ganguly
    Sehwag
    Dravid
    Yuvraj

Sehwag always says that he focuses on playing his natural game in whichever form of cricket he plays. It is a systematic way in which he plays though it might appear erratic to a newer watcher of his game. It is also true that he plays best when he plays his natural game. It is also true that Sehwag is a rhythm player - a bit like Symonds. On his day, he can be destructive as he has shown so many times.

Again, it is much more evident in tests. 12 50s and 12 100s for Sehwag in tests shows that when he gets going in tests, he goes on to score big. This going on to score runs when he has settled to the bounce of the wicket is not evident in one dayers with only 7 100s compared to 24 50s. The getting out shots trying to play too aggressively which Sehwag does in ODIs is transparent when we look at that stat. He is never at ease in ODIs compared to tests because of the approach he takes in ODIs compared to tests despite seemingly looking the same when he bats in ODIs and tests.
    Last edited by Pratters; 05-02-2007 at 06:38 AM.

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Pratyush;1069246]

Tendulkar
    Ganguly
    Sehwag
    Dravid
    Yuvraj

Tendulkar IMO should bat at 4.If everyone gets form in the Sri Lanka series this is what the top 5 should be

Ganguly
    Uthappa
    Dravid
    Tendulkar
    Yuvraj

I was thinking that should've been the top-order in 2002, TBH. Unfortunately, there was no Dhoni at that time so Dravid at three wasn't really an option and we had to have Dinesh Mongia.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
    Or maybe he's just hitting it so hard that it is un-catchable ... In that case credit goes to him.
    You missed the bit about showing no bias between chances simple and difficult, then?

Near enough every single Sehwag-drop I've seen has been a sitter, not a skimming cover-drive that hit extra-cover at a rate of knots.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Virender Sehwag should not be in the ODI team, not with Dravid, Tendulkar and Ganguly still there. Maybe after those 3 retire, presumably after the World Cup, then he could come back into the set-up. Robin Uthappa is a very exciting prospect and needs to get as much game time as possible for India to prove his worth, alongside him I would have Sourav Ganguly. Dravid at #3 is a must while Sachin Tendulkar battting at #4 can influence the middle-order. With Yuvraj at #5 and Dhoni at #6 or #7 (depending on a 4 or 5 man bowling attack) it gives the Indian line-up a very good feel about it.

After the World Cup it could look something like this.

Uthappa
    Sehwag
    Raina
    Yuvraj
    Kaif
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    Virender Sehwag should not be in the ODI team, not with Dravid, Tendulkar and Ganguly still there. Maybe after those 3 retire, presumably after the World Cup, then he could come back into the set-up. Robin Uthappa is a very exciting prospect and needs to get as much game time as possible for India to prove his worth, alongside him I would have Sourav Ganguly. Dravid at #3 is a must while Sachin Tendulkar battting at #4 can influence the middle-order. With Yuvraj at #5 and Dhoni at #6 or #7 (depending on a 4 or 5 man bowling attack) it gives the Indian line-up a very good feel about it.

After the World Cup it could look something like this.

Uthappa
    Sehwag
    Raina
    Yuvraj
    Kaif
    I most certainly doubt Dravid and Tendulkar will retire after the WC.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    It's 50-50 as far as I'm concerned with those two retiring.

It's 50-50 as far as I'm concerned with those two retiring.
    Why do you think this is?

Maybe it is because Sehwag is a flat track bully who usually makes runs on featherbeds or nobodies? Still, he should have done better in ODI's too...perhaps its the pajamas?

If you watch Sehwags batting closely, he has always played worse shots in ODI Cricket than test Cricket. Even though he bats quick for Test Cricket standards, it's much slower than ODI. Realizing he only has 50 overs gets to his head and he plays stupider shots in ODI more often.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Virender Sehwag should not be in the ODI team
    Ideally, yes, he should have been dropped quite a while ago and given a chance only if others failed and he seemed a better alternative because of some strong reasons. However, India is not in an ideal position right now, because of which we might go with any one really. Do read this post of mine for my views on the topic.

The first 5 I suggested could have been viable had we had enough time left to try out the combination because of the reasons I mentioned. It is unlikely now as I said as so many drastic changes to the line up seem a bit impossible right now.
    Last edited by Pratters; 05-02-2007 at 04:21 PM.

Sehwag should be an option for the ODI team, but now we have a lot of opening options for India. Uthappa, Gambhir, Ganguly, and Sachin is always there. Sehwag comes after all them, and if they fail, then bring Sehwag back

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information