• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why Sehwag Has Tasted More Success In Tests

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
I have figured out the reason behind why Sehwag has succeeded more in the longer version of the game than the shorter one :kicking: .

First of all, I must explain that I am very similar to Sehwag in terms of batting; opener, limited feet movement, doesn't like to get tied down by bowlers, goes for his shots, agressive, etc etc.

Now today I had sat down, and since I had nothing else better to do, I began analyzing my last summer's batting. And I came to the conclusion that I, eventhough am an agressive batsmen, like to play the longer version of the game and not want to get tied down with a limited number of overs.

In other words, eventhough I love smacking the ball and going for my shots, I don't want any restrictions on me (in this case the number of balls I have to make my runs). I don't like to have pressure put on me, instead I would like an unlimited number of overs so that I can slow down whenever I want, I don't have to be agressive at all times. In conclusion, I can be as agressive or as defensive as I want without having to worry about the overs. To actually be defensive in my approach is another matter. When there is a certain number of overs in which I have to make my runs, I fall under pressure and tend to go for every ball and end up losing my wicket. And I think the same applies to Sehwag.

This is just a theory, however, not necessarily true.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why has Sehwag had success in Tests?

Butter-fingered fielders.

;)

No, even I'll not go so far as that, but consider this:
Osman Samiuddin said:
when he was dropped at slip in Shoaib Akhtar's second over, a chance that came harder of the bat's edge than it did from the bowler's hand, déjà vu reared. There has been much talk in Pakistan of how to stop Sehwag. As a strategy, catching the chances he offers often enough might not be such a bad one. Imran Farhat's drop wasn't in the end costly but consider this: in eight Test matches now against Sehwag, Pakistan have contrived to drop him more than ten times, showing no bias between chances simple or difficult. Usually, as at Multan, Mohali and even Lahore - when he was dropped on 125 and 199 - he has taken a heavy toll. He has pillaged from them over thousand runs but conceivably, it could be half the amount.
He is totally correct IMO and it's also worth noting that the only difference between brilliant-series and got-a-start-loads-but-never-went-on in Australia in 2003\04 was Simon Katich's poor performance at gully at The MCG.

Sehwag has still been a fine Test opening-batsman for most of the last 3 years or so, but IMO he's not as good as his scorebook-average makes him look.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Or maybe he's just hitting it so hard that it is un-catchable :p... In that case credit goes to him.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
He tries to play too aggressively in one dayers. A strike rate of 96 v 76 may not sound that big a difference but it is actually more than 20 percent more attacking play. That obviously means going out of the areas where Sehwag feels comfortable which means that he plays far more get out shots in one dayers.

Sehwag's natural game gives him a s/r of 76 while for most players, it would result in a S/R of 40-65. That will give you lower averages in one dayers. This does not mean that Sehwag will not have as many get out shots when he tries to play shots he normally wouldn't in tests.

Another aspect is that when opening the batting in one dayers, he feels the respnsibility to play shots as soon as possible rather than settling down a bit. If you aren't adjusted to the bounce of the pitch, there is always a high chance of getting out. Maybe batting in the middle order could be the perfect place for Sehwag. He can play out a few overs and then bat naturally and still play at a strike rate of over 75 - a great option for any team. So a position like number 4 is some thing I wouldn't have mind trying at. However, he is not reliable/consistent enough and so number 3 seems the better position (some thing like 5 or 6 is too late as he isn't really a slogger). Dravid's reliability can be a great asset at 4.

So ideally, (I say ideally because the given is very unlikely) I would have the first five as:

Tendulkar
Ganguly
Sehwag
Dravid
Yuvraj

Sehwag always says that he focuses on playing his natural game in whichever form of cricket he plays. It is a systematic way in which he plays though it might appear erratic to a newer watcher of his game. It is also true that he plays best when he plays his natural game. It is also true that Sehwag is a rhythm player - a bit like Symonds. On his day, he can be destructive as he has shown so many times.

Again, it is much more evident in tests. 12 50s and 12 100s for Sehwag in tests shows that when he gets going in tests, he goes on to score big. This going on to score runs when he has settled to the bounce of the wicket is not evident in one dayers with only 7 100s compared to 24 50s. The getting out shots trying to play too aggressively which Sehwag does in ODIs is transparent when we look at that stat. He is never at ease in ODIs compared to tests because of the approach he takes in ODIs compared to tests despite seemingly looking the same when he bats in ODIs and tests.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I was thinking that should've been the top-order in 2002, TBH. Unfortunately, there was no Dhoni at that time so Dravid at three wasn't really an option and we had to have Dinesh Mongia. 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Or maybe he's just hitting it so hard that it is un-catchable :p... In that case credit goes to him.
You missed the bit about showing no bias between chances simple and difficult, then?

Near enough every single Sehwag-drop I've seen has been a sitter, not a skimming cover-drive that hit extra-cover at a rate of knots.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Virender Sehwag should not be in the ODI team, not with Dravid, Tendulkar and Ganguly still there. Maybe after those 3 retire, presumably after the World Cup, then he could come back into the set-up. Robin Uthappa is a very exciting prospect and needs to get as much game time as possible for India to prove his worth, alongside him I would have Sourav Ganguly. Dravid at #3 is a must while Sachin Tendulkar battting at #4 can influence the middle-order. With Yuvraj at #5 and Dhoni at #6 or #7 (depending on a 4 or 5 man bowling attack) it gives the Indian line-up a very good feel about it.

After the World Cup it could look something like this.

Uthappa
Sehwag
Raina
Yuvraj
Kaif

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Virender Sehwag should not be in the ODI team, not with Dravid, Tendulkar and Ganguly still there. Maybe after those 3 retire, presumably after the World Cup, then he could come back into the set-up. Robin Uthappa is a very exciting prospect and needs to get as much game time as possible for India to prove his worth, alongside him I would have Sourav Ganguly. Dravid at #3 is a must while Sachin Tendulkar battting at #4 can influence the middle-order. With Yuvraj at #5 and Dhoni at #6 or #7 (depending on a 4 or 5 man bowling attack) it gives the Indian line-up a very good feel about it.

After the World Cup it could look something like this.

Uthappa
Sehwag
Raina
Yuvraj
Kaif
I most certainly doubt Dravid and Tendulkar will retire after the WC.

JBH001

International Regular
Maybe it is because Sehwag is a flat track bully who usually makes runs on featherbeds or nobodies? Still, he should have done better in ODI's too...perhaps its the pajamas? :p

Dravid

International Captain
If you watch Sehwags batting closely, he has always played worse shots in ODI Cricket than test Cricket. Even though he bats quick for Test Cricket standards, it's much slower than ODI. Realizing he only has 50 overs gets to his head and he plays stupider shots in ODI more often.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Virender Sehwag should not be in the ODI team
Ideally, yes, he should have been dropped quite a while ago and given a chance only if others failed and he seemed a better alternative because of some strong reasons. However, India is not in an ideal position right now, because of which we might go with any one really. Do read this post of mine for my views on the topic.

The first 5 I suggested could have been viable had we had enough time left to try out the combination because of the reasons I mentioned. It is unlikely now as I said as so many drastic changes to the line up seem a bit impossible right now.

Last edited:

Dravid

International Captain
Sehwag should be an option for the ODI team, but now we have a lot of opening options for India. Uthappa, Gambhir, Ganguly, and Sachin is always there. Sehwag comes after all them, and if they fail, then bring Sehwag back

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why do you think this is?
They are both around 35 years of age which is generally the time when cricketers call it quits, I do hope they continue on but it wouldn't suprise me if they did retire.

Ideally, yes. However, India is not in an ideal position right now, because of which we might go with any one really. Do read this post of mine for my views on the topic.

The first 5 I suggested could have been viable had we had enough time left to try out the combination because of the reasons I mentioned. It is unlikely now as I said as so many drastic changes to the line up seem a bit impossible right now.
With Kumble, Dravid, Tendulkar and Ganguly you have a very experienced core. Add to that Yuvraj, Harbhajan and Zaheer then the basis of your team has been picked already without too much worry about inexperience or thing like that. Preferrably Sehwag wouldn'tt be in the ODI side but I can't see him missing the WC.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
You are being very confident of Uthappa. But what if he fails in the next few innings? Uthappa has played 5 games and even if he plays the next 4, can we gamble with him for the world cup if he has a mediocre record after 9 games? What if we do not keep a second alternative in the form of Sehwag or Gambhir for such a scenario? We could end up going in the world cup with one opener in Ganguly and a dicey situation with Uthappa. So we have to keep a backup trial option versus Lanka right now. It is not an ideal scenario that all this has been left till this late but that is the way it is and has to be dealt with in an apt manner. That is the way I see it any way.

Last edited:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
They are both around 35 years of age which is generally the time when cricketers call it quits, I do hope they continue on but it wouldn't suprise me if they did retire.

Actually Rahul is 34 and Sachin is 33 and when you think the likes of Lara who is now 37 and still going strong,I don't see why they shouldn't have 2-3 max years left in them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Actually Rahul is 34 and Sachin is 33 and when you think the likes of Lara who is now 37 and still going strong,I don't see why they shouldn't have 2-3 max years left in them.
What use is 2-3 years when the next WC is 4 years away?