• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why Sehwag Has Tasted More Success In Tests

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You are being very confident of Uthappa. But what if he fails in the next few innings? Uthappa has played 5 games and even if he plays the next 4, can we gamble with him for the world cup if he has a mediocre record after 9 games? What if we do not keep a second alternative in the form of Sehwag or Gambhir for such a scenario? We could end up going in the world cup with one opener in Ganguly and a dicey situation with Uthappa. So we have to keep a backup trial option versus Lanka right now. It is not an ideal scenario that all this has been left till this late but that is the way it is and has to be dealt with in an apt manner. That is the way I see it any way.
I agreee with you regarding back-ups but Uthappa seems a hugely talented player who will do well at international level but I guess we will see how he goes against Sri Lanka. If he does fail then Tendulkar, Sehwag and Gambhir are all options to open.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Are we talking about whether they are going to be at the next WC or the next series (after the WC)because I'm confused.Perm,do you mean they'll retire after the WC or within the next 4 years.

Perm

I was referring to after the 2007 World Cup where, in my opinion, it's 50-50 as to whether Dravid and Tendulkar will retire,

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I was referring to after the 2007 World Cup where, in my opinion, it's 50-50 as to whether Dravid and Tendulkar will retire,
Sorry I thought you meant after this WC:wacko:.They might carry on for 4 more years but I doubt it.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
One thing to suggest that Tendy should go, but if you think Dravid should retire, you're insane and don't know much about cricket. He is our most consistent ODI batsman, in addition to being the most consistent Test batsman.

Oh, and those who think he scores too slowly in ODI should all die in a fire.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
With both Dravid and Tendulkar it's precisely nothing whatsoever to do in either case with present inadequecies - it's to do with the fact that the likelihood of them playing in WC2011 is extremely, extremely slim.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'm sorry, but this whole theory that if a player isn't going to play in the next WC, the next 4 years of ODIs are useless and he should thus retire is stupid.

Perm

One thing to suggest that Tendy should go, but if you think Dravid should retire, you're insane and don't know much about cricket. He is our most consistent ODI batsman, in addition to being the most consistent Test batsman.

Oh, and those who think he scores too slowly in ODI should all die in a fire.
Wasn't suggesting that he should retire just saying that it wouldn't suprise me if me does.

I'm sorry, but this whole theory that if a player isn't going to play in the next WC, the next 4 years of ODIs are useless and he should thus retire is stupid.
Fair point, but to me it's a bit silly to retire 6 months after a World Cup, unless a team has a big test series then the World Cup would be the most opportune time.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wasn't suggesting that he should retire just saying that it wouldn't suprise me if me does.

Fair point, but to me it's a bit silly to retire 6 months after a World Cup, unless a team has a big test series then the World Cup would be the most opportune time.
India come to Australia for the Commonwealth Bank series in 2007/08, the biggest ODI series to win other than the World Cup, and possible the Champions Trophy though some may disagree.

People can think the CB Series is boring etc., but when it comes down to it, to beat Australia at home (and another team) is huge. Tendulkar, Dravid and Ganguly will want one more crack at Australia, in both tests and ODIs.

C_C

International Captain
Seconded.
Besides, Tendy in ODIs has been perfectly fine. He's diminished somewhat from his lofty standards but even today Tendy would walk into *ANY* team in the world and i cant imagine how someone would come to a different conclusion after watching tendy over the past couple of years.
He's helluva lot better than practically any other opener out there.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You might find it stupid, I don't. I'd say that the only point of any ODIs is to prepare to win the World Cup. Is anyone going to remember that you won the CB Series or something if you fail miserably in the World Cup 2 years later?

It depends totally on your perspective - I, of course, am English: I don't treat ODIs with the disdain of many of my countrymen, but I don't give a damn about the results in any of them outside the World Cup. We can lose every single series in the next 4 years if we win WC2011 (albeit that sort of thing is, obviously, not going to happen). All ODIs outside World Cups, in my estimation, are about building a team for the next such tournament.

If Ganguly, Dravid, Tendulkar and the like feel differently that is, of course, up to them, but I'd say such a course of action is damaging to long-term prosperity. If someone is not going to be around for the next Cup you need as long as possible IMO to develop the next lot of players who are.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's certainly not OOTQ and I said that above. I do think it's less likely than more, though, and if it were to happen I think he - and Tendulkar, too, if he had a similar aim - would have to give-up Tests within the next year or so.

And that, too, would be a great shame - yes, in the case of Tendulkar too IMO.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Oh btw, in response to the original topic of this thread:

It has a lot to do with his mindset, and the placement of fielders. Sehwag loves having 3 slips and a gully in place for him, because when he's in form and backs himself, he can murder the ball anywhere between point to third man all day long, new ball or old.

In ODIs there's a whole line of off-side fielders who quite often, he guides the ball straight too.

And regarding Richard's point, I am about as far from a first chance average fan as anyone, but from what I've seen of Sehwag in the past 4 years, he definitely does get lucky with catches. Pakistan drop him so often its a joke, which explains his awesome test average against them, and so do other teams. Gilly is also another one who gets dropped often. The obviously link there is the velocity in which they hit the ball to point and gully etc., but irrelevant to the main point Richard is making.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It would be relevant if they constantly got dropped at gully, but they don't, most are sitters at slip, in the ring, etc.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Possibly because everyone knows how important it is to hold onto him, because you can take the game away from you so quickly.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
WRT players who won't be at the 2011 World Cup, they definitely have a very important role to play through transition. You don't want a large chuck of your side not playing suddenly after a WC, you need to keep the core of your team over the next two years and phase in change. This provides a reasonably stable set-up for young players to come into, and allows the senior players to be able to mentor and help the younger players as they come through and help them manage the rigours of international cricket.