• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the worst C9 Commentator?

Who is the Worst C9 commentator and why?

• Richie Benaud

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Ian Chappell

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Tony Greig

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • Ian Healy

Votes: 33 44.0%
  • Bill Lawry

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • Mark Nicholas

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Michael Slater

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Mark Taylor

Votes: 3 4.0%

• Total voters

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I noticed Tony Greig mentioned a few spectators walking away after the final result had been announced and he said "Australia have taken out the series".

Must have been on auto-pilot...

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Healy easily. Lawry's **** too, example in Jono's last post. See's a big bloke, assumes he's a big hitter. That six he hit was pretty big though, I'll give him that.

My main problem with the C9 team is that none, bar Ritchie, watch any cricket outside of the Australia summer. Even Ritchie only watches stuff in England these days, so most of them are clueless. Little things piss me off, like how Lawry was going on about how it was White's first ODI when he slapped that 30-odd not out early on, and Hodge's 99* was "in his 3rd ODI innings". **** like that annoys me. You shouldn't be allowed to commentate if you don't know simple stuff like that.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Benaud is a dead set legend. I cherish every word he says because I know that he will not say some thing just for the moment. He will not be commentating in a few years or so and whatever I can listen now is hugely appreciated.

Didn't used to like Chappell much earlier because he has his annoying moments. He will go into the deepest detail about every thing and while I like to do the same a lot of the times, I cannot be expected to be interested in every detail of every thing which interests Ian Chappell. The good part which has grown on me is that he always comes up with some thing and gives views rather than just stating the bloody obvious. Some one whom I might want to listen to at times but depending upon my mood, I might want to turn off the volume at other times as well.

Greig plays more of an entertainer's role rather than giving his cricketing insights in the commentary box a lot of the times. I can see that a lot of people cannot warm to such a role played in the commentary box but it takes all types of people playing different roles to make a team to attract an audience. Greig does interject commentators when they make very ludcirous statements and it shows that he can contribute as a cricket mind in the box as well but he plays a different role most of the time. Greig builds up the excitement and I like him commentate.

Ian Healy is a joke as a commentator. I have seen a lot of bad commentators in my time and he is right up there with them.

Bill Lawry is a bit annoying and under par as a commentator for me.

Nicholas, I can't stand. Actually, I can't stand any one who tries to romanticise the game or it's players too much and Bhogle does it a lot with Indian players and cricket for ESPN-star (though he can be very good at different times when he doesn't do it) and Mark Nicholas is the epitome of this. They are players. Not your lovers, Mark Nicholas. Neither are their shots. Gentllly playing it to third man. Ahhhhhh. It makes it worse that he hardly adds any insight.

I do not see why Slater is so highly rated. He is not bad but he is not Nasser Hussain good. Don't find Slater exceptional. He does his job and is fair enough to let the other person's view be given weight if he sees that is the better view point and is a good young commentator but that is about it for me for the moment.

I always like listening to Mark Taylor and he has improved so much from the time he was a Donald Duck clone when he first came into the commentary box. Taylor was a brilliant captain - one of the best I have seen and I always like to know what he thinks.

Last edited:

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
I noticed Tony Greig mentioned a few spectators walking away after the final result had been announced and he said "Australia have taken out the series".

Must have been on auto-pilot...
Volty, I noticed that too. Perhaps he wasn't really there and his comments were pre-recorded. It could have worked for most of the summer.