• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the worst C9 Commentator?

Who is the Worst C9 commentator and why?

• Richie Benaud

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Ian Chappell

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Tony Greig

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • Ian Healy

Votes: 33 44.0%
  • Bill Lawry

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • Mark Nicholas

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Michael Slater

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Mark Taylor

Votes: 3 4.0%

• Total voters

pasag

RTDAS
I don't mind Lawry because he amuses me and he's Victorian and unashamedly biased in a funny way. Slater is alright and I think Nicholas and Taylor get crapped on unfairly, especially Nicholas who I rather like, despite what 99% of this forum think.

Can't stand Greig, Chappell or Healy though.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
pasag said:
Slater is alright and I think Nicholas and Taylor get crapped on unfairly, especially Nicholas who I rather like, despite what 99% of this forum think.
To be fair, I just don't like people who masturbate on air.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Ian Healey is the most biased, Slater never says anything vaguely interesting, and Ian Chappell is the most irritating with his, 'in my day, when I was captain' crap. Taylor is ok though - he knows his stuff even if the way he tells it leaves a lot to be desired.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Healy by so far it's not even funny. Not only is he unbelievably slow witted and boring, he offers absolutely no attempts at insight, even into wicket-keeping, the area of the game in which he could be expected to be an expert.

The only one who bears any sort of comparison to Healy is Lawry, and really it's not even close.

The good ones are Slater, Benaud and Chappell. They all have their annoying moments, and Benaud's a shadow of his former self, but they all do a good job and bring something different to the team. Taylor and Nicholas I'm relatively indifferent towards. They do a pretty mediocre job of the two main commentary styles, but they don't make me want to turn the sound off or anything. Taylor has improved heaps and will be quite good one day IMO. Greig is a bit annoying, but at least he's got comedy value.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
To be fair, I just don't like people who masturbate on air.
Hahahah!

Its easily Healy, but Nicholas is more of a dickhead.

And with people who go on about Lawry's bias, he appreciates the opposition playing excellently as well, eg. Oram, Joyce, Collingwood etc.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Heals for mine, fairly easily. Greig and Lawry aren't the best either, but at least Bill does make me laugh every now and then.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
As one of my mates said one night, he knew Richie was a guru from as young as he could remember, because of when a ball would go through the field and straight away vintage Richie would say, "That'll be 3." Was always correct, too.

Blaze

Banned
Lawry is the man. Best commentator in the world easily. He appreciates good cricket and isn't afraid to bag players for poor cricket. His enthusiasm is brilliant. He has probably been helped by the 12th man a bit imo.

Healy is a deadset joke. Half the time his sentences simply don't make sense and his pro Australia stuff is cringe worthy.

An example: Ross Taylor goes down injured - Ian Healy - 'Beauty, first Pieterson and now NZs in form batsman is down'

Nicholas is obviously in love with 'Freddy' Flintoff and a few others. Sickening the majority of the time.

All the others are fine imo.

Fiery

Banned
As one of my mates said one night, he knew Richie was a guru from as young as he could remember, because of when a ball would go through the field and straight away vintage Richie would say, "That'll be 3." Was always correct, too.
“From our broadcasting box you can't see any grass at all. It is simply a carpet of humanity.”

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richie's obviously less insightful than he used to be, but he's a commentary legend. Even today he's so much better than most of the fare served up around the world it's amazing.