• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussie Allrounder spot for WC

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
After looking through the possible candidates for the World Cup, i think that Greg Blewett could be a very good candidate...

He has proven himself at international level(especially in SA), and his bowling seems to be improving everytime i see it...

I know i will probably get blasted for being biased but i think he has to be near the top of the list...

Other Candidates...

Andrew Symonds, Shane Watson, Mark Higgs, Ian Harvey, Cameron White, Kade Harvey, and James Hopes..

Who do you think will take the spot??
I think they will take 2 and it will be either Watson/Symonds and Blewett....

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Andrew Symonds - not consistant with the bat
Shane Watson - not very effective with the ball in ODI's
Mark Higgs - good choice but could be hot or cold with the bat or batt, you may as well flipo a coin
Ian Harvey - too inconsistant with the bat
Cameron White - i think that they will take him and play him in the group games, he captained the Aus u/19 team and is a very good player but needs more experience before he starts really performing at the state and Int level
Kade Harvey - no
James Hopes - Bating is not good enough

Shane lee would prob get in if he were fit but im not sure, he has started bowling abit in grade i think but i dont think that he will purt the performances in between now and then

Bevan is an all rounder if he bowls better -his battiong is already good enough

Blewett is a class bat and his bowling is good, i would pick him

V Reddy

International Debutant
Yeah he also bowls at a pretty good pace. I once remember when Ind were in AUS in 99 he was the quickest bowler in one match clocking 140kmph . He is much better than Watson.

masterblaster

International Captain
yeah Greg Blewett is one of my favorite Australian players, he is a much more better choice than Watson, but Watson is young and has potential to be a good player. Personally I would pick

1.Greg Blewett
2. Andrew Symonds

Symonds is awesome with the bat when on song, his bowling is good and his fielding is dynamite.

But being an Indian Supporter I dont mind Australia picking Watson, because I know that the Indians will like his bowling.

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
Watson, that is the man for the Aussies.
He has not been given enogh chance but i think he has the potential to deliver.

Shane Lee/Symonds and Harvey have been given enough oportunity in the past.
Blewett is a good batter but he's not much of a bowler.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
While watching the cricket this afternoon i decided to list what i think the world Cup squad for Australia should be, Ill list here here to see what you guys think.

1 Adam Gilchrist
2 Matthew Hayden
3 Ricky Ponting
4 Damien Martyn
5 Michael Bevan
6 Darren Lehmann
7 Greg Blewett
8 Shane Warne
9 Brett Lee
10 Jason Gillespie
11 Glenn McGrath
12 Jimmy Maher
13 Nathan Haurtiz
14 Andy Bichel
15 Shane Watson
16 James Hopes

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
OMG, i haven't been slammed to the ground for being biased....
:O:O:O:O:O:P:P:P:P:P

Anyway simon i think that side looks good, but i think Hopes really needs to show some form soon, i have him as an outsider at the moment but he has the potential to be there...

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
yeah i have to agree that hopes needs to prove that he has what it takes, i might also take clarke and at least give him a game against some of the lesser sides

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon it will be Symonds & Watson although I don't really think Symonds is an all-rounder as such, hes more of a batsman who can bowl.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Cameron White - i think that they will take him and play him in the group games, he captained the Aus u/19 team and is a very good player but needs more experience before he starts really performing at the state and Int level
That's an interesting theory - give hime experience at ODI level then move him into FC cricket?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'd be very surprised if Blewett went, he seems to be one of those who have had the doors closed on their international careers.

(Mind you, we could have said that about Hayden, Langer & Lehmann not so long ago!)

Bazza

International 12th Man
I'm not sure about Blewett. Symonds will surely go? I haven't seen much of some of the other contenders but from what I've seen of Ian Harvey, he seems quite well suite to the conditions? He is very economical and consistently puts the ball in the right place with a bit of movement in the air and off the pitch. Also he can be an explosive batsman at about 7 or 8, but having said all that he doesn't seem to be particularly highly rated in his home country so....

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Again, at intl level Harvey is a bowler who bats. His highest score is 47* or something close to it which does not justify him as being an all-rounder.

Simon

Shane Watson will be one of the all rounders going, its going to take big seasons from Andy Symonds or Ian Harvey tio get back into the side. With a bit more experience Watson will be a really good player, he can bat and bowl very well as he has already proved, I selected Blewett in my team as the 2nd all rounder simply because he is in form now and i expect him to be later this summer, obviously the selectors are still looking at him picking him in the Aus A team. I put James Hopes in my squad because i think he will be picked, other ones i considered were Brad Hodge, Michael Clarke, Mark Higgs and Brad Williams.

Top_Cat

I still contend that Shane Watson is the man for the job. And all you guys denigrating his bowling; when he is given a chance and really lets go, he can be as quick as anyone.

Just be patient. You're all writing him off too soon.

As for the second allrounder's spot, give it to Mark Higgs. Whilst Australia hasn't had decent pace-bowling allrounder in quite some time, they've NEVER had a decent finger-spinning allrounder, especially one who can hit the ball as hard as Mark Higgs.

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
I don't suppose there'd be room on the plane for one of the Waugh boys by any chance???

(I'm living in the past I know, but if Steve Waugh remembers how to pick up a cricket bat, then he and Darren Lehmann could share 10 overs between them, and I'm sure experience counts for something....

Hayden
Gilchrist
Ponting
Martyn
Lehmann
Bevan
S.Waugh
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
McGrath

.... if I was an opponent, I'd be sh*ting myself looking at that line up.)

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
The two all rounders will be Watson and Symonds. The Broncoman squad looks fine but would drop Hopes and Blewett. The replacements would be Symonds and Stuart Clark.

The World Cup squad size has traditionally been 16 but maybe less thsi time. I don't know. take out Clark if so.

Eclipse

International Debutant
yeah watson will be fantastic he needs to learn 2 things really to become top class.

1: He has to learn to pick the gaps early in his innings because he gets bogged down early somtimes. (once hes set he can be a very damaging hitter)

2: He needs to learn not to bowl as full a length in One day cricket as FC cricket that mainly why he has not taken that many wkts in ODI games.

Simon

Originally posted by Top_Cat
I still contend that Shane Watson is the man for the job. And all you guys denigrating his bowling; when he is given a chance and really lets go, he can be as quick as anyone.

Just be patient. You're all writing him off too soon.

As for the second allrounder's spot, give it to Mark Higgs. Whilst Australia hasn't had decent pace-bowling allrounder in quite some time, they've NEVER had a decent finger-spinning allrounder, especially one who can hit the ball as hard as Mark Higgs.
Higgs is a better player when he is bowling chinaman, but like gb, i thought i would be looked down upon for bias if i included him in my world cup squad. Why are people including Symonds? He is not going to get picked unless his form drastically improves.