Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Aussie Allrounder spot for WC

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    I still contend that Shane Watson is the man for the job. And all you guys denigrating his bowling; when he is given a chance and really lets go, he can be as quick as anyone.

Just be patient. You're all writing him off too soon.

As for the second allrounder's spot, give it to Mark Higgs. Whilst Australia hasn't had decent pace-bowling allrounder in quite some time, they've NEVER had a decent finger-spinning allrounder, especially one who can hit the ball as hard as Mark Higgs.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

School Boy/Girl Captain
    I don't suppose there'd be room on the plane for one of the Waugh boys by any chance???

(I'm living in the past I know, but if Steve Waugh remembers how to pick up a cricket bat, then he and Darren Lehmann could share 10 overs between them, and I'm sure experience counts for something....

Hayden
    Gilchrist
    Ponting
    Martyn
    Lehmann
    Bevan
    S.Waugh
    Warne
    Lee
    Gillespie
    McGrath

.... if I was an opponent, I'd be sh*ting myself looking at that line up.)

State Vice-Captain The Argonaut's Avatar
    The two all rounders will be Watson and Symonds. The Broncoman squad looks fine but would drop Hopes and Blewett. The replacements would be Symonds and Stuart Clark.

The World Cup squad size has traditionally been 16 but maybe less thsi time. I don't know. take out Clark if so.

International Debutant
    yeah watson will be fantastic he needs to learn 2 things really to become top class.

1: He has to learn to pick the gaps early in his innings because he gets bogged down early somtimes. (once hes set he can be a very damaging hitter)

2: He needs to learn not to bowl as full a length in One day cricket as FC cricket that mainly why he has not taken that many wkts in ODI games.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    Originally posted by Top_Cat
    I still contend that Shane Watson is the man for the job. And all you guys denigrating his bowling; when he is given a chance and really lets go, he can be as quick as anyone.

Just be patient. You're all writing him off too soon.

As for the second allrounder's spot, give it to Mark Higgs. Whilst Australia hasn't had decent pace-bowling allrounder in quite some time, they've NEVER had a decent finger-spinning allrounder, especially one who can hit the ball as hard as Mark Higgs.
    Higgs is a better player when he is bowling chinaman, but like gb, i thought i would be looked down upon for bias if i included him in my world cup squad. Why are people including Symonds? He is not going to get picked unless his form drastically improves.

U19 Cricketer
    Originally posted by Tim
    I reckon it will be Symonds & Watson although I don't really think Symonds is an all-rounder as such, hes more of a batsman who can bowl.
    Symonds is a fine batsman who can bowl a bit.Watson is a genuine allrounder and he should definately be in the playing 11!

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    symonds is a player that can either score alot or not many, and its usually not many
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

State Vice-Captain The Argonaut's Avatar
    Symonds has never been given an extended run in the side like it looks like Watson is getting. The selectors have always included Shane Lee or Ian Harvey in there as well so the 2 were competing for the one spot. That sort of thing can damage the confidence.

Admittedly Symonds has not taken the chances that he's been given but has the potential to be a match winner with either bat or ball.

As long as the massively over rated Ian Harvey doesn't get picked I'll be happy.

State Vice-Captain
    I think that Watson will go and then whoever performs best out of Symonds and Harvey this year will fill in the other spot..

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Watson is a genuine allrounder and he should definately be in the playing 11!
    No, there's only one genuine all rounder in World Cricket at the moment.

Watson isn't even an automatic pick based on his combined skills let alone just as a bowler or just as a batsman!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    The World Cup squad size has traditionally been 16 but maybe less thsi time.
    It's not - in 99 it was 15, and for at least the 2 before that it was 14!

I think it's 15 this year, but can't find confirmation yet.

Originally posted by Tim
    Again, at intl level Harvey is a bowler who bats. His highest score is 47* or something close to it which does not justify him as being an all-rounder.
    His highest score is 47*, but he averages nearly 18, which is not bad because his SR is 85.8, showing that he scores those runs quickly. If he can come in at #8 occasionally and smash a few to the boundary he is an all-rounder.
    My house is burned down but I can see the sky.

Originally posted by marc71178No, there's only one genuine all rounder in World Cricket at the moment.
    I'd be interested to hear you reveal who you give that coveted title to Marc! After all I can think of 3 South African's alone who would claim to be genuine ARs.

And I'm sure there are plenty of Kiwi's out there who will insist that when Cairns can walk again he will be the best AR the world's ever seen.

Also I'd like to think Flintoff will soon fit into that category after another run in the side.

International Debutant
    Yeah but the problem with Harvey is he will never score runs when the team is in trouble. He has had the opertunity many times but always fails when the pressure is on him.

Also I like Watson because he appears to be a real good bloke. He tries really hard and really wants to succses at his cricket and he pobably takes it to seriously.

In the last Pure Milk cup game Watson was almost in tears because he faild to take a wickt in the second innings when queensland were cahsing 115 or so to win.

this despite the fact he was the only player to do anything with the bat for Tasmania and there best bowler in the first innings.

State Vice-Captain
    Originally posted by Bazzaroodoo
    Originally posted by marc71178No, there's only one genuine all rounder in World Cricket at the moment.
    I'd be interested to hear you reveal who you give that coveted title to Marc! After all I can think of 3 South African's alone who would claim to be genuine ARs.

And I'm sure there are plenty of Kiwi's out there who will insist that when Cairns can walk again he will be the best AR the world's ever seen.

Also I'd like to think Flintoff will soon fit into that category after another run in the side.
    I agree with you here Bazzaroodoo. Also a couple from the West Indies

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information