• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brad Hogg vs Cameron White

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Harvey > Hopes.
Bowling - yes.
Batting - no.
Overall - probably yes.

My point was though, they are similar players. Given pup11 lives in India, he probably hasn't seen a lot of him, so I thought I'd make him aware that he was Harvey-like. He'll probably just change the word "Hogg" to "Hopes" in all his posts from now on, but a change is as good as a holiday.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
TBH, their batting has been reasonably similar at domestic level. I'd back Hopes to be a little better in the international arena, but not by much. Harvey was a bit Dave Hussey-ish, in that you couldn't really rely on him but he'd single-handedly win games.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
TBH, their batting has been reasonably similar at domestic level. I'd back Hopes to be a little better in the international arena, but not by much. Harvey was a bit Dave Hussey-ish, in that you couldn't really rely on him but he'd single-handedly win games.
Hopes's batting in recent seasons is a lot better than his career record suggests though. He's a much improved batsman - quite superior to Harvey IMO.

pup11

International Coach
Nah james hopes really doesn't match up to ian harvey. Hopes neither has the tricks of harvey nor the temprament to be a good international player.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nah james hopes really doesn't match up to ian harvey. Hopes neither has the tricks of harvey nor the temprament to be a good international player.
How much have you actually seen of Hopes? You're in India so I wouldn't imagine it to be a great deal..

His temperament is actually really good IMO. I still wouldn't pick him in the side by any means, but he's certainly an Ian Harvey-like player of sorts. Bowls at a similar pace with lots of change-ups and variations, and can contribute well with the bat (IMO much more than Harvey did).

I don't think Australia need another Harvey-style option and I feel he was quite over-rated, but if you want one, Hopes is your man.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Have you ever played cricket at any level? Honestly some of your comments are often so obviously "straight from the armchair."

Just like spinners trying to quicken the tempo of the game up, and rush batsman occurs in ODIs (best example being Jayasuriya), slowing the tempo of the game down is often a great tactic to stop the momentum of the opposition and prevent the game getting away from you. That doesn't mean you go 8-10 overs overtime or anything of the sort, in fact, over rates can quite often be mutally exclusive to slowing the tempo of a game down.
I play, I am a seam-bowler, and I do make the utmost effort to get through my overs quickly, and encourage everyone on our team to do likewise, in addition to all those little things that quicken the game up - like backing-up, throwing the ball around between fielders with care and getting it from A to B quickly and without mishap.

I don't like to stand in the field for longer than's neccessary. :p

Seriously, though - IMO the better the over-rates, the better for pretty much everyone. Sure, you occasionally want to take a breath and think about field-placing or where to aim the next 3 deliveries to set someone up, but for the most part I just bowl. The hiatus between deliveries in international cricket now is interminable compared to what it used to be.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's a big difference between "slowing the game up" and bowling you're overs slowly. If you get through overs quickly enough during one stage of the innings, and then find the opposition getting a run-on, it's a perfectly intelligent and fair tactic to slow the game and regain control of the tempo of the game, as well as stifling their momentum. As long as you finish within the subscribed times, then there is no problem with it.
Thing is, plenty use said tactic and don't finish anywhere near the prescribed schedules (be it finish-time in a ODI or overs-per-session in a Test) and IMO that's simply unfair play.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Harvey certainly can bat though. One of the most successful Twenty20 players in our domestic comp, with a few 100s.