• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best WICKETKEEPER in the world

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Obviously he's only horrible compared to the standard of other international keepers, but seriously I think he's pretty bad. Geraint circa 2005 was just as bad, as was Patel when he was playing
How on Earth could you possible compare Geraint of 2005 and Patel to Dhoni?

You underestimate how difficult it is to keep to Kumble on turners obviously.

luffy

International Captain
:dry:

Out of guys currently being selected, Read.
Well i wouldn't say he is currentely being selcted....

TBH, I find keepers hard to judge. Its really difficult to evaluate them without watching a great deal of cricket with the specific aim of analysing them. Many highly rated keepers are pretty ordinary, they are often judged on reputation rather than actual ability.

In truth, I could speculate with a name but I wouldnt be comfortable saying I knew which guy was best.
That's how i fell at the moment. I don't seem to rate wicketkeepers as wicketkeepers just their ability to bat. To me all wicketkeepers are close to each other skill wise if not as good as each other. There have been really outstanding keepers in the past 5 years.

Read is quite easily the best glovesman for me.
As stupid as it sounds i could almost agree to that. He catches most catches, but his batting skills(or lack) have let him down in the past and in particulary the Ashes Series

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That's if they don't select Nixon
I really doubt they would. I think he'll retire from international cricket after the World Cup - and even if he doesn't, I don't see England selecting him a test unless he has an outstanding WC which in itself is unlikely.

Regardless of which, he was picked in England's last test side so I think "currently being selected" is a fair call.

luffy

International Captain
I really doubt they would. I think he'll retire from international cricket after the World Cup - and even if he doesn't, I don't see England selecting him a test unless he has an outstanding WC which in itself is unlikely.

Regardless of which, he was picked in England's last test side so I think "currently being selected" is a fair call.
Who knows what the English Selectors will do tbh. Yes, i understand now what "currentely being selcted" to him means. I was just thinking that he meant in the ODI series.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

Nixon doesn't strike me as going to retire, when he's only just got an England berth. He'll try and hang onto that ODI spot as long as he can.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nixon doesn't strike me as going to retire, when he's only just got an England berth. He'll try and hang onto that ODI spot as long as he can.
Liklihood of him being around for the next world cup though? Not good. So he probably should retire - at least from ODIs. He may not though.

I don't see him getting selected in tests regardless.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In India, and in the home series last summer, Jones' keeping was fantastic. It seemed that he'd spent so much time working on it, he forgot about batting and took massive steps backwards, when his batting wasn't at the level it should have been anyway.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I thought that but it really would be foolish for either party to pick him beyond this winter.