• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Forgotten Cricketers?

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Jamie Cox. Probably the most talented batsman never to play test cricket. Well, At least Somerset had the best of him :D

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Jamie Cox. Probably the most talented batsman never to play test cricket. Well, At least Somerset had the best of him :D
Speaking of talented and never to play (bowlers), Rajinder Goel of India comes to mind.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
No Roger Twose is not a forgotten cricketer. Everytime I get into a discussion about great NZ cricketers he always comes up and he was a crowd favourite.

Everytime the wicket-keeper batsman discussion comes up, so does the name Andy Flower. So I don't think he's quite forgotten.

unlike Heath Streak, who is often left out of modern day all-rounders (of all sorts) when names like Pollock, Flintoff, Afridi, Kallis, Cairns, Pathan, Vettori, Bravo are thrown about.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Everytime the wicket-keeper batsman discussion comes up, so does the name Andy Flower. So I don't think he's quite forgotten.

unlike Heath Streak, who is often left out of modern day all-rounders (of all sorts) when names like Pollock, Flintoff, Afridi, Kallis, Cairns, Pathan, Vettori, Bravo are thrown about.
TBH Streak's batting only really took off when Zimbabwe began to fall apart.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No Roger Twose is not a forgotten cricketer. Everytime I get into a discussion about great NZ cricketers he always comes up and he was a crowd favourite.
I think you'll find that a lot of people outside of New Zealand don't know much or anything about Twose. Was one of my favourite players, mind.
Or Parthiv Patel? Was ment to be the next great indian batsman
According to who??

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think Andy Flower forgotten he gets mentioned alot, especially when people talk about how crap Zimbabwe are.

Avishka Gurasingha for me, very good batsmen but retired at his peck due to off field reasons. If he kept going on i think he would have been remembered as one of Sri Lanka greats.
Asanka Gurasinha?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Paul Franks - one ODI cap as far back as 2000 & has been constantly troubled by injuries since. A pity because he's not woeful with the bat either, in fact opened for Notts a few times last year.
The fact he's barely been able to hit the cut strip for most of the last 3 seasons hasn't helped, either.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Afridi and Pathan! :laugh:

Anyone who throws those 2 into company like that deserves second-lesson to be dedicated to "cricket".

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
who are some great yet forgotten cricketers in your opinion.
Dean Jones is up there IMO.

The way some (emphasis - some) people think of him you'd imagine he barely had a Test career outside Chennai.

And yet he was arguably every bit as good as the Boons, Taylors, Marshes, Martyns, Langers, Haydens, M Waughs and basically everyone except the Borders, S Waughs, Pontings and Lehmanns.