Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carl Hooper, so much talent, but so few starring performances to show for it

Banned

Carl Hooper, so much talent, but so few starring performances to show for it

Carl Hooper was one of my fav players, but i agree with the wikepdia article that Hooper could have done so much more with his career.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Hooper
    Last edited by dass; 02-02-2007 at 10:44 PM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Thanks, don't think this thread isn't really needed though.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Banned
    also cricinfo also talks about his wasted potential. http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/west...yer/52066.html

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Carl Hooper was always an underachiver. He did play more of a supporting role in the West Indies team though, supporting batsmen like Lara, and bowling his handy offspinners.
    Proud 2nd member of GM-OLAS
    Honorary Assistant Vice-President and Inquisitor General of T2IBS (Twenty-20 is Boring Society)

Fraz highlights the defining aspect of Shoaib's legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    Those humanitarian works etc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I feel Tendulkar's association with the money minting exploitation of cricket fandom by certain varying commercial interests tarnishes his greatness a tad.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    If any one saw Hooper bat for the first time, he would be enthralled. Such skill, such ease with which he would play his strokes. However, the person could be shocked if he glanced at Hooper's test average - just 36.46. Hooper oozed class. A lot of players are all flair and no talent. They can play the most brilliant strokes but do not have the defence required. Hooper was not one of them. Hooper had a lot of skill and was immensely talented. Far too often though, he used to get out just playing a lazy or loose stroke. I would put VVS Laxman in the same category. His test average of 42 hardly does his talent justice and it would fall further if you exclude that innings at Kolkata.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush View Post
    If any one saw Hooper bat for the first time, he would be enthralled. Such skill, such ease with which he would play his strokes. However, the person could be shocked if he glanced at Hooper's test average - just 36.46. Hooper oozed class. A lot of players are all flair and no talent. They can play the most brilliant strokes but do not have the defence required. Hooper was not one of them. Hooper had a lot of skill and was immensely talented. Far too often though, he used to get out just playing a lazy or loose stroke. I would put VVS Laxman in the same category. His test average of 42 hardly does his talent justice and it would fall further if you exclude that innings at Kolkata.
    agree totally
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush View Post
    Hooper and Samuels are some much alike in so many ways. Hopefully Samuels goes further.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Yeah good comparison. I have always loved watching Samuels bat but it has been frustrating at times. He has time and hopefully he has turned the corner and I wish he does very well in cricket in the future.

Hooper in his first part of his career from what i have heard & the little i saw (between 97-99) looked totally classy but always found ways to get himself out. But when he came back as captain in 2001 he batted the way he should have batted between 87-99. Now he if he had batted throughout his career like his post 2001 stats he would have had a superb career, since he was the only windies batsman that could have challenged Lara for skill & ability to take an opposition attack apart.

I loved watching Hooper bat. As others have alluded to, his timing was often breath-taking and his batting was often a joy to watch. He was a fairly useful twirlie as well.

I really am at a loss to explain why he didn't score more runs at a better average.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Amazing to think that after Lara's debut he was dropped for 18 months with Hooper preferred...

For ages Hooper was one of the Simmons', S Williams', Arthurtons, D Williams\Murray\Brownes who failed to live-up to the Fredericks-Greenidge-Haynes-Kalli-Viv-Lloyd-Gomes-Richie-Dujon-Logie class.

Unlike the former three, he at least resurrected his career at a later date. It's easy to forget, but he was actually a damn good player for a time before his first "retirement".

Then he was terrific again for a short time, before experiencing the common slump-at-the-end.
    Last edited by Richard; 03-02-2007 at 10:30 AM.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Banned
    i wonder what Hooper thinks after reading his career Bio ?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Amazing to think that after Lara's debut he was dropped for 18 months with Hooper preferred...
    Lara has always said that that period of time - sort of an apprenticeship - made him into the player he was and is. He's always recommended that for the players of the modern generation - that they be with the team for a period of time before getting an extended run.

Quote Originally Posted by dass View Post
    i wonder what Hooper thinks after reading his career Bio ?
    He certainly can't disagree.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    Lara has always said that that period of time - sort of an apprenticeship - made him into the player he was and is. He's always recommended that for the players of the modern generation - that they be with the team for a period of time before getting an extended run.
    I don't dispute that for a second but was that really the intention of the selectors? I don't often see people picking someone they beleive to be inferior just to give the superior an apprenticeship. I presume Hooper was picked because in 1990 and 1991 whoever was in charge believed that at that stage Hooper was the better batsman (and who knows - maybe he was).

Short-term dominates in selection, and presumably did so even more in the more reticent days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information