• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

when will Jaysuriya retire ?

dass

Banned
he has been around since 1989 playing non stop and no signs of retirement yet, so when do u think he will retire?

gunner

U19 Cricketer
end of world cup
we all thought asif had given him the perfect sendoff but guess jayasuriya wasnt happy with that

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
From ODIs after the World Cup.

I'd imagine he'd want to score some runs in his last five-day games for Sri Lanka so he'll probably hang-on for the Bangladesh matches afterwards, too.

FRAZ

International Captain
Jaya was a sensation ! One year small wonder . I guess that he is one of the revolutionary batsmen of ODI cricket.. Hmm it's his personal wish to play and I think that he is not doing justice to his health and the game might create some health and some more family issues at this age .

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Didn't he retire last year, only to be talked back?

Hardly the actions of one with "no signs of retirement" to be fair.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Last year (or was it 2005) it seemed like he had no future in the game, but SL were desperate and called him back. Now look at how he's playing, and how SL are playing?

He'll more than likely retire by year's end at the least, if not earlier, but why retire now when you're playing as good as you've played in the last 5 years, and your team is winning?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Definitely from ODIs after the World Cup, but possibly may play Test cricket till Australian tour 2008 or may be not..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Last year (or was it 2005) it seemed like he had no future in the game, but SL were desperate and called him back. Now look at how he's playing, and how SL are playing?

He'll more than likely retire by year's end at the least, if not earlier, but why retire now when you're playing as good as you've played in the last 5 years, and your team is winning?
It never seemed like he had no future in ODIs - at least not from anything I read - but he's hardly set The World alight since his Test return, has he...?

Asantha de Mel called him back on pretty dubious grounds anyhow: "he's played in England" was about the sum of it. Well, yes, he had, but he'd averaged in the mid-20s.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
He's proved he is still as good as he ever was, in certain spells. In the 5th ODI in NZ, he was blistering.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In ODIs he's rarely strayed from his norm. He's always had bursts of phenominal scoring and lengthy run-droughts.

But in Tests his re-instation hasn't, to date, paid-off. Of course, in ODIs he didn't need to be reinstated because he never left.

DCC_legend

International Regular
Never, he'll keep playing for Sri Lanka until his late sixties, retire from sri lankan cricket and then qualify for england!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To be barred from the team by the 80-year-old Graham Gooch and the 100-year-old Geoff Boycott...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It never seemed like he had no future in ODIs - at least not from anything I read - but he's hardly set The World alight since his Test return, has he...?

Asantha de Mel called him back on pretty dubious grounds anyhow: "he's played in England" was about the sum of it. Well, yes, he had, but he'd averaged in the mid-20s.
Haha, that really made me laugh quite a lot for some reason.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Hopefully not anytime soon, the guys box office and the sort of cricketer you just have to watch. He was fantastic again this morning and it’s not like Michael Vandort of Jehan Mubarak have shown to be adequate enough replacements.

Sadly his probably going to call it quits after the West Indies but he could easily play until his 40 (in ODI). There is no real evidence to suggest his losing it, he either scores or he doesn’t but his done that for as long as I can remember.

Though in regard to test cricket, I believe he should call that a day. His been pretty poor in that form of the game for a substantial time now.