• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Strange Death of Indian Cricket

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
:laugh: :laugh:

Yes agreed Ss. Why are the ODI-lovers the ones who tend to bag 20/twenty most?

Can I just state that even on a day England beat Australia, I still think ODIs are the most pointless and irritating form of the great game.
And I'll just state that even on the day after England beat Australia, the reason you think that is because you keep watching England play in them.

;)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Would you be surprised if I said that the biggest number of people playing any sport in New Zealand is football?

well it's football followed by netball then rugby then cricket.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I would be extremely surprised by it to be honest.

Is there really any money in the sport to make it a viable career for anyone?

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
I sometimes wish, that from the start, Britain had more influence over Canada than America had/has on us.....

As a matter, at one time, Canada's official sport was cricket... then it died down. And now barely anyone plays it outside of Toronto. And even IN Toronto barely anyone plays it.

Last edited:

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
was there any, little bit, uprise in cricket when you guys beat bd?
No one knew we beat Bangladesh :laugh:, heck barely anyone here even knows there is a Cricket WC.....

I don't know how to explain but our situation is very much like America's, nearly the same popularity, it's just the immigrants in this country play better cricket than those in America :p. Tbh, during the 2003 WC, 75-80 percent of our players were from the Toronto and District league. Disregarding the immigrants, Toronto is like the only place in all of Canada where people actually know a bit about the sport, that too only a bit.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Outside Toronto and the other large centres?

It's a hell of a big place wiv not manee peepul... ain't it?

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Well the population of Canada is 33 million, and Toronto's population (if you include the suburbs and GTA) is roughly 8 million. So yes it is a large part of Canada's population, but other large centres such as Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Montreal are not far behind. And the main reason why Toronto is the centre of cricket in Canada is because it has the largest population of ethnic minorities.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Well you see, the northern part of Canada, you'll have to exclude, cause except natives barely anyone lives there... It's just too cold. Everyone lives near the south closer to the border.

And with this low population and large area not only do we get to enjoy world class facilities (for example we do have the largest mall in all of North America), but also enjoy many aspects of nature that are the core of any beautiful country.

EDIT: However, yes it is a set-back in a few ways, yes.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
All the major cities in Canada are within 100 miles of the US. Nothing much grows after a certain point, not to mention water and other problems :).

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
All the major cities in Canada are within 100 miles of the US. Nothing much grows after a certain point, not to mention water and other problems :).
Yes, that is why we maintain a good balance. One can enjoy the same benefits that one enjoys in the US (excluding crime, discrimination, etc), and also at the same time enjoy what nature has to offer (world class resorts for every season, cleanliness, very low amounts of pollution, beautiful sceneries right from the pacific to the atlantic, etc) :).

EDIT: Also, I am not really sure what problems you're talking about, because even in the north the infrastructure put in place is that of an industrialized nation.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Damn you deleting that post, makes it look like I've posted 2 utterly needless ones in a row... :furious:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You did post in between mine which are now #27 and #28, "you nasty little liar" (Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban, Ch2), saying something along the lines of "what do you mean?"

Didn't you... :@ :nono:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This is actually quite funny...

At least mods can see deleted posts so I don't look like I'm spamming...