• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

why not a Test World Cup ?

dass

Banned
i was wondering if there is a ODI world cup, why not a test world cup? infact a test world cup would better in terms of knowing who is the best team because test cricket is much more challenging then oneday cricket.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
i was wondering if there is a ODI world cup, why not a test world cup? infact a test world cup would better in terms of knowing who is the best team because test cricket is much more challenging then oneday cricket.
Takes too long, in the main. Can't really ask every team in the world to camp out in one country for six months.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because it'd take too long.

We were supposed to have an ongoing Championship, anyhow.

Then someone decided to completely mess that one up.

dass

Banned
there is gotta be a way to make the tournament short, how about like a tournament where only the top 4 or 5 test playing nations battle it out.

burr

State Vice-Captain
It’s unnecessary. That’s the beauty of test cricket, it doesn’t need some contrived tournament every four years to give it meaning.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
well if you look at the the LG test championship is like the world cup but its like a league system with no playoffs

C_C

International Captain
well if you look at the the LG test championship is like the world cup but its like a league system with no playoffs
Problem is, there is no 'reset' though and its one continuous neverending meaningless league.
Test cricket doesn't need leagues to survive but i can see no harm in a 1 year experiment where each team start with zero pts. and plays each team once home and away.
That'd make 18 tests for the calendar year per team which would be doable if we kept each team to around 20 ODIs for that year.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
well im happy with the current thing but just want to see someone other than australia get to the top spot

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Problem is, there is no 'reset' though and its one continuous neverending meaningless league.
Test cricket doesn't need leagues to survive but i can see no harm in a 1 year experiment where each team start with zero pts. and plays each team once home and away.
That'd make 18 tests for the calendar year per team which would be doable if we kept each team to around 20 ODIs for that year.
Only issue with that would be the travel involved in order to get to nine different countries within one year. It also would create problems for a country like New Zealand who have a relatively short season and fitting nine home test matches as well as ODIs would be impossible.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I thought the Asian Test Championship was a decent idea back in 99, but the issue of course is draws and rain affected matches.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
It could work IMO, they don't have to camp out in 1 country over an extended period either, they could play each other on a home & away basis & the top two sides with the most points (i'd say use the Asia cup points format) play in a final.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
How would 18 Tests a side be doable when there's only a relatively short period when games can be played without being ruined by the weather?

There is a "reset" in the current rankings in that games lessen in value as time goes by.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
well if you really want a test world cup it would be like the intercontinental cup. but its not needed, too many world cups for one sport. plus the ranking does the work with the top team winning the test championship maze.