• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

why not a Test World Cup ?

C_C

International Captain
How would 18 Tests a side be doable when there's only a relatively short period when games can be played without being ruined by the weather?

There is a "reset" in the current rankings in that games lessen in value as time goes by.
Weather has no bearing : what i am proposing is a primiership-style league where each team plays another 'home and away'. You don't need to camp out in one country for six months to play 18 tests.

Actually, i think it'd be better if they made it a two-year championship. That way it'd be 9 matches/year for the championship : a good and healthy amount of test cricket for all, while leaving room for iconic series like the Ashes or India-Pakistan.

I don't like this ' score become less valuable with time and eventually drops off' fade-away system. I'd prefer if we had simple league scorings and every two years, the championship resets.

I don't mind the idea of relegation/promotion from associate members list either : have the bottom two teams relegate and top two from the associate list come up to the top.
If not anything, it'd hasten the development of cricket in bangladesh/zimbabwe and the associate countries will have an everpresent incentive to keep improving rather than the 'once-in-a-four-year-world-cup' stuff.

The only problem i can foresee with this picture is that it'd take Bangladesh/Zimbabwe atleast 10 years ( 5 championships) to start catching up to the weakest 'real' teams ( WI ? NZ ? ) and so they'll be bouncing in and out of the league every two years. In their place, we'd have teams like Kenya or Holland play test cricket every two years for that period and that'd jeopardize any world record.
I'd not fancy seeing Ponting batting against Kenya in a test : Lara's 501* would be a goner.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
its just un-realistic. test could never have its own world cup. the current world cup is longer than most other world cups now there is talks about extanding to even more? i thought they are trying to make it less since everyone doesnt have much time. and even that it wouldn't be a tournament it would be a league like the nfl etc. for first class it's always a league take intercontinental for a example.

Beleg

International Regular
Richard,

India participated in the 99 Asian Test Championship. It was the second one that they refused to play in.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, yeah, what on Earth was I thinking... :wacko:

IIRR it deprived Pakistan of a series-win in India?