• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ganguly Vs Saeed Anwar ?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nothing between them IMO.

Both brilliant left-handers.

Style was totally different - Ganguly all about aggression and skipping down the pitch, pumelling through the off; Saeed was the most passive, gentlemantly destroyer ever, all wrists, big backlift and silky lightning-fast bat-speed through leg and off with equal certainty.

But they both did the job superbly while they were going.

Not to forget, of course, Mr Sanath Teran who was also similar, though IMO just behind as his average is about 36 compared to the mid-40s.

C_C

International Captain
Close call but i'd go for Ganguly by a narrow margin in ODIs.

IMO, Anwar was a better batsman to watch when he got going and scored at a better gallop but Ganguly did it better against quality bowling.

Tests, Anwar is an opener and Ganguly isn't, so i don't think its a fair comparison.

Last edited:

dass

Banned
Close call but i'd go for Ganguly by a narrow margin in ODIs.

IMO, Anwar was a better batsman to watch when he got going and scored at a better gallop but Ganguly did it better against quality bowling.

Tests, Anwar is an opener and Ganguly isn't, so i don't think its a fair comparison.
i guess i am mostly talking about oneday cricket.

FRAZ

International Captain
How good did Ganguly deal with Shoaib Akhtar ? This man Ganguly is the only batsman in this Indian squad whom I never respected ....... If one wants to talk about the openers in the ODIs then Saeed Anwar is my selection . As Dass said that tests are not the option over here so I'll go with Saeed Anwar !!!

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Ganguly is a class of his own, top left handed batsmen. Played spinners quite good imo, was and is still powerful on the off side. Love this guys batting with a passion and love his captaincy, he has to be one of the best India ever produced in both OD's and Tests.

FRAZ

International Captain
You know what I hate such one odd examples . I can dig up many clips of Shoaib Akhtar damaging the ribs of Ganguly . I have seen so many footages of Shoaib Akhtar just humiliating Ganguly at many occasions . There are certain tail enders who have hit Waqar Younis ,sixes and fours . And I also have seen Abdul Razzaq hitting five consecutive and well calculated fours to Glen Mcgrath .. But still good always dominates the evil in the end !!!!!

FRAZ

International Captain
Ganguly is a class of his own, top left handed batsmen. Played spinners quite good imo, was and is still powerful on the off side. Love this guys batting with a passion and love his captaincy, he has to be one of the best India ever produced in both OD's and Tests.
The recent best are Laxman , Tendulkar , Dravid and MS Dhoni in my books . Dravid is an all time legend produced by South Asia ........

C_C

International Captain
But still good always dominates the evil in the end !!!!!
So Ganguly is evil and Akhtar is good ?
You wouldn't happen to be the dude who beheded that ice cream guy would you ?
8-)

PS: Ganguly, incidentally, owns South Africa in ODIs and his record against OZ/RSA is much much better than Anwar's. So much for ' Ganguly is weak against fast bowling' compared to Anwar,eh ?
As i said - Anwar was classier to watch and when he got going, he scored at a better clip.
Ganguly, i'd rather have when facing tougher bowling attacks in ODIs.

Fusion

Global Moderator
You know what I hate such one odd examples . I can dig up many clips of Shoaib Akhtar damaging the ribs of Ganguly . I have seen so many footages of Shoaib Akhtar just humiliating Ganguly at many occasions . There are certain tail enders who have hit Waqar Younis ,sixes and fours . And I also have seen Abdul Razzaq hitting five consecutive and well calculated fours to Glen Mcgrath .. But still good always dominates the evil in the end !!!!!
Did you just classify Shoaib vs Ganguly as a "Good vs Evil" battle? With Shoaib being good and Ganguly being evil? Oh dear God...

FRAZ

International Captain
Did you just classify Shoaib vs Ganguly as a "Good vs Evil" battle? With Shoaib being good and Ganguly being evil? Oh dear God...
Ah please guys . Do not classify me because I already had to suffer a lot upon not backing Hair and my ratings have fallen down and I do not wish myself to be part of any controversy please !!!
May be I meant Good overcomes bad !!!!!!!!!!
Do not make an issue please ,My bread and butter is subjected to my journalism ,so please !!!!!

JBH001

International Regular
I would agree with Dasa.

If I recall correctly, I looked at this a while back, Anwar's ODI average is heavily weighted towards his home performances. I think it was something like 50+ at home, and just under 30 away from home. Not very good, imo.

The strange thing though, is that in test matches his average home and away is more or less similiar. Both around the mid 40 mark.

I find it difficult to account for the discrepancy, as he clearly could bat well overseas.

So yes. Ganguly is better in ODI's and Anwar is better in tests.

(I would rather watch Anwar though, the man was all style)