• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CA bans the Mexican wave

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Tomorrow's headline:

In an effort to reduce the threat of racist abuse towards players, Cricket Australia makes talking a punishable offence at all Australian grounds.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's sad to hear. :( I love mexican waves, hope they don't ban them here in NZ too.

archie mac

International Coach
I was at the MCG for the 3 days of the Test, they had about 10 waves a day, not one worry

As the crowd at the MCG would say 'You are wankers CA'

pasag

RTDAS
Nfi how they're going to enforce it but I have no problems with it tbh. I hate getting beer and food in my hair and I hate the bogans in the crowd, where it feels like you have to constantly be on guard or face being attacked by some drunk yobbo.

Going to the footy is so much better than the cricket where everyone just sits down and watches the game. The cricket on the otherhand, I'd rather watch it on TV. I wont be going this Sunday tbh.

But the ban wont stop the wave and it wont stop poor behaviour so it's pretty much useless.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
They had this ban at the Sydney Test last month, news story about it on A Current Affair the night before. I attended everyday of that match and didn't see a single wave. Thought the crowd would respond to the ban by doing it non-stop (not unlike the Big Day out flag ban), but they behaved themselves.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The right move IMO. When you've been hit by something (full bottles, beer cups filled with urine etc.) it'd down right piss you off (no pun intended) and definitely put you off going to the cricket.

Its a shame that idiots have made it come to this, but really, what's another solution? People have had their jaws broken due to idiots throwing stuff during the wave.

PY

International Coach
That is pretty severe. Here people chuck the paper cone things that hold four pints of beer and it never causes anyone harm.

Throwing urine and full bottles is a bit mentalist.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Nfi how they're going to enforce it but I have no problems with it tbh. I hate getting beer and food in my hair and I hate the bogans in the crowd, where it feels like you have to constantly be on guard or face being attacked by some drunk yobbo.

Going to the footy is so much better than the cricket where everyone just sits down and watches the game. The cricket on the otherhand, I'd rather watch it on TV. I wont be going this Sunday tbh.

But the ban wont stop the wave and it wont stop poor behaviour so it's pretty much useless.
Agreed. Better move would be to have more security guards around the place, but I guess cost might be an issue there.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can see cases for either side. CA want to get more families to the game, and that isn't going to happen when Mummies freak out about their precious ones getting hit with beer and food. It would be made a whole lot easier if they reserved one section of the stadium for families only where you can't buy more than one adult ticket per child.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That is pretty severe. Here people chuck the paper cone things that hold four pints of beer and it never causes anyone harm.

Throwing urine and full bottles is a bit mentalist.
Of course, there's nothing wrong at all with throwing rubbish all over everywhere? 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh: The irony!

Josh

International Regular
A large section of the crowd generally STARTS the wave, and then what?? Are they going to eject the entire crowd for contributing??

Please...

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
A large section of the crowd generally STARTS the wave, and then what?? Are they going to eject the entire crowd for contributing??

Please...
They would pinpoint the people starting it, obviously, and ask them not to with the ultimate threat being a fine or being kicked out.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I dont mind the wave personally, But sometimes it gets way over the top...

A few years back i went to the cricket @ the SCG with the family and within the 1st hour of play the wave started up, the 2nd lap around everyone went up and with it went a heap of rubbish as well as some idiots full cup of beer.. It came down all over my mum.. She was soaked from head to toe and had to sit in the baking sun for the rest of the match stinking of beer... She vowed never to go back and to this day hasnt...

Things like that are what ruin the fun, Sure the Wave can be a good way to break up the day and get the atmosphere happening but when stupid idiots like that throw crap it ceases to be fun and becomes very dangerous, imagine if a kid gets hit...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Any form of wave where anyone throws anything is clearly utterly deplorable. And from what I've seen, in just about all countries, that's what happens. Without fail. Therefore everyone's better-off without such "waves". Obviously just standing-up and waving your hands about is nothing of note, but that's no longer what a "wave" is about and hasn't been for the last 2 or 3 years at least.

Quite how such a ban will be easily enforced (and how anyone expects there not to be countless thousands who enter the ground with the very intent of defying such a ruling) is an open question, but if it can be I'm all for it personally.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Strange. Here in the U.S, the crowds do the wave often in baseball and football stadiums. In my experience, I have never seen the crowd throw objects in the air as they do the wave though. I've been to many baseball games and have never had something fall on me as a result of the wave. But then again, I've never attended a game in Oakland or Philadelphia, where the crowd behavior might be a whole lot different...

Last edited: