• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CA bans the Mexican wave

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
With the crowds you get in NZ you have the space to do that.

;)

Oh, yeah, and even if it's not as common as some are making-out - here, if 1 or 2 people were hit it'd be considered pretty unacceptable, and the way it seems to me it's a case of 10 people per game is an absolute minimum in Australia.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Aye. Away fans one end and a line of stewards separating both sides of away-fan section. :ph34r: At least at all the games I've been to - which is not a massive number.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No, but I think the dangers of the Mexican Wave described in here are bordering on hyperbole. Besides, as just about anyone except those in power knows, banning something only encourages people to endulge in that behaviour.
How can it be hyperbole if people have actually experienced it themselves? Unless you're accusing those people of lying :dry:

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Hyperbole isn't lying, it's exaggeration. I'm not saying anyone is being dishonest, rather I'm surprised that people have such malignant views of the Mexican Wave, even if they might have been hit with something once. Like I said, it's hardly a fait accompli that you will get hit with something unpleasant is it? I've been hit with a full beer can at a game but there was no wave going on at the time.

I don't get into it myself, but if other people want to jump out of their seats and make a lot of noise, maybe even throw paper or whatever in the air, then who am I to say that they can't? Obviously the situation is different over in Australia, ok, I accept that. I still believe that a ban on this sort of thing is pointless, heavy handed, and farcical, especially coupled with the other anti-fun measures taken this summer - no trumpets, no beach balls, etc, etc. If Australians want to continue being told off like naughty schoolchildren by those in power, then ok.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Cheers for the definition of hyperbole...

but what I was referring to is when someone says "I was hit by a 2 litre bottle, it hurt, I'd rather not get hit again", they're not exaggerating, they're simply saying what happened. No one here has suggested that people are dying left and right, and that crowds are waning to ridiculous levels because people are put off by these antics. What they are saying is its a serious matter and almost impossible to police when you have 60 odd thousand people in the G throwing their hands up, and many of them actually are throwing paper around (which whilst stupid, isn't that harmful or dangerous), yet maybe 40 are throwing full bottles, and one scum bag has decided to piss in a cup and throw it.

People can claim big brother, fun police etc. all they like, and generally when comments like those come out on issues, I often agree with those sentiments, but this isn't a case of any similarity to the trumpets and the beach balls (although the beachball ban has been the case for years now, many years), its an issue of public safety which for the most part, isn't removing vital liberties of the fan.

And in regards to you can be hit by a beer cup without a wave going on, its easier for the security to catch that person then, so its not such a problem. When thousands of people are standing up, its a bit harder to pinpoint the culprits.

Dick Rockett

Ok, I get what you're saying, I just disagree with it.

Thanks for focussing so relentlessly on one word that I used.

pasag

RTDAS
Anyways, as most people mentioned prior to the match the ban was a total failure. So far, at least.

Although I think it has publicly highlighted the extent to which some people, to borrow the term "have hijacked" the sport. Heaps of these people go to the cricket for the fun, not to watch the game but to be **** all day and ruin it for everyone else. From this group comes the people who shout racist slogans etc. They not only ruin the day for people who actually want to watch the cricket, but they create a bad image for Australia, all over the world and this is reflected in some of the understandable opinions on the forum regarding Australians.

As I said before, contrast this with the footy matches, where everyone sits down and watches the game on the edge of their seat and there is very rarely any trouble. I always feel completely safe and at home at these games. Even when I'm surrounded by Collingwood supporters. However at the cricket I’m always on guard like I’m about to get stabbed or something.

These yobbos have for whatever reason linked their culture with cricket and I must say, it's ****ing annoying. I don't think there is anything that can realistically be done about it either.

(This is only the MCG I am commenting on here btw, can’t speak for any other Australian ground.)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
^^^ I think I might've said it before but you can say almost the exact same thing in Britain with the words "cricket" and "football" exchanged.

Dasa

Anyways, as most people mentioned prior to the match the ban was a total failure. So far, at least.

Although I think it has publicly highlighted the extent to which some people, to borrow the term "have hijacked" the sport. Heaps of these people go to the cricket for the fun, not to watch the game but to be **** all day and ruin it for everyone else. From this group comes the people who shout racist slogans etc. They not only ruin the day for people who actually want to watch the cricket, but they create a bad image for Australia, all over the world and this is reflected in some of the understandable opinions on the forum regarding Australians.

As I said before, contrast this with the footy matches, where everyone sits down and watches the game on the edge of their seat and there is very rarely any trouble. I always feel completely safe and at home at these games. Even when I'm surrounded by Collingwood supporters. However at the cricket I’m always on guard like I’m about to get stabbed or something.

These yobbos have for whatever reason linked their culture with cricket and I must say, it's ****ing annoying. I don't think there is anything that can realistically be done about it either.

(This is only the MCG I am commenting on here btw, can’t speak for any other Australian ground.)
Pretty much my thoughts on the matter as well. Going from what you see on TV, it doesn't seem as bad at other Australian grounds...then again, I've never actually been to the cricket in the other cities. It's baffling why people spend $30+ to go to the cricket if they're not going to actually watch it either.

pasag

RTDAS
There was an excellent piece on all this by Greg Baum in today's Age. It doesn't seem to be on their website though. Still looking.