• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vincent on the Aussies........

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting article http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/cbs/content/current/story/278286.html

I think in fairness it was Allan Border that started that culture in the 1989 ashes. Botham mentioned that he had always been good mates with Border up until that series, but suddenly in that 89 ashes, Border wouldn't give him or the other English players the time of day. It was a culture that mean't you were in war with the opposition and i think they have carried that mentality as a team to this day. Obviously you would have to say that its worked.

Zinzan

I heard Hayden on the radio "water off a ducks back" was all he had to say:)
I'm hardly suprised to here that. Hayden to me appears to be the most arrogant of the Aussies, even more so than Ponting, Not that its a bad thing.

pup11

International Coach
So whats wrong with it aussies play their cricket hard, but they didn't abuse vincent. What does he think when calls aussies a "pack of dogs", he thinks aussies are not humble enough which is completly wrong if they were arrogant there is no way they could have dominated world cricket for more than a decade the way the did?

pup11

International Coach
Vincent is in for some hard time at the crease now, needless really when he was going so well with the bat.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
So whats wrong with it aussies play their cricket hard, but they didn't abuse vincent. What does he think when calls aussies a "pack of dogs", he thinks aussies are not humble enough which is completly wrong if they were arrogant there is no way they could have dominated world cricket for more than a decade the way the did?

Haha, what the hell?

Australia being arrogant and hunting in packs would make them more likely to dominate World Cricket.

Zinzan

Vincent is in for some hard time at the crease now, needless really when he was going so well with the bat.

Not so sure about that, according to the article, it brings the best out of him

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Not so sure about that, according to the article, it brings the best out of him
Yeah. Vincent has never been afraid to dance around the issue in the past. He just says what he thinks and I respect him more for it.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, what the hell?

Australia being arrogant and hunting in packs would make them more likely to dominate World Cricket.
I don't think being arrogant would help, given that it would make them ****y and more prone to complacency.

Anyway, not much new in the article. Australians either "play hard" or "are abusive" depending on your perspective, and they win a lot.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Must say I was quite bemused by Hayden's response

"If he considers that to be the case, I'm not unhappy about it, to be honest," Hayden said in Brisbane.

"Regardless of what Lou says, it's water off a duck's back as far as Australia is concerned." Hayden, who scored 117 against New Zealand on Sunday, said the comments reflected the competitive nature of Australian athletes.

"It's doesn't matter what sport ... we could be playing kick a ****roach from here to the wall and we'd want to be competitive," he said. "In the heat of the battle New Zealand and Australia is one of the finest competitions you can play. They're in our country and we're very excited about the way we're playing and we're working exceptionally hard to what is ahead of us."
:blink:

pup11

International Coach
Look all the things that have been said by vincent if were said in a lighter and honourous manner than nobody was complaining . But he was rude and disrespectful, if aussies were arrogant and complacent about their achievements then i don't think they could have ever been so dominant.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I hesitate to attempt to explain something to unbelievably straightforward, but the phrase "they hunt like a pack of dogs" isn't equivalent to saying "they are a pack of dogs". If Vincent said that Hayden was "as strong as an ox", would that mean he actually thought he was an ox? Or that he shared the other characteristics of an ox, like say having four legs and eating grass?

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
atthe end of the day who cares what vincent says, so what he comes backand has 2 scores the ozzies if they want to play and be arrogant who cares it has what has made the ozzies the greatest cricket team ever and if any thing will probably fire the boys up even more.

i know when i was playing grade cricket and they started sledging me it made me even more determined to get a big score and usually worked most of the time. so keep em coming vincent considering last week he wasnt even in the n/z side.

wont bother the ozzies in the slightest!

Natman20

International Debutant
Look all the things that have been said by vincent if were said in a lighter and honourous manner than nobody was complaining . But he was rude and disrespectful, if aussies were arrogant and complacent about their achievements then i don't think they could have ever been so dominant.
Maybe thats the way they treated him when he was batting? Fair enough IMO if it was. If the Aussies can have a go at him why can't he have a go at them?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Interesting article http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/cbs/content/current/story/278286.html

I think in fairness it was Allan Border that started that culture in the 1989 ashes. Botham mentioned that he had always been good mates with Border up until that series, but suddenly in that 89 ashes, Border wouldn't give him or the other English players the time of day. It was a culture that mean't you were in war with the opposition and i think they have carried that mentality as a team to this day. Obviously you would have to say that its worked.
And yet that's patently nonsense to suggest that this culture alone was responsible for Australia's success either in that 1989 summer or thereafter.

If only for one reason that it didn't continue for all that long. As Derek Pringle said, "at some point, the Australians' desire for a drink and a laugh after a hard day's play began to exceed their will-to-win". Yet that hasn't stopped them from being pretty damn successful with only very occasional blips (almost all in the subcontinent) in the last 17-and-a-half years...

archie mac

International Coach
Maybe thats the way they treated him when he was batting? Fair enough IMO if it was. If the Aussies can have a go at him why can't he have a go at them?

Makes him sound like a sook, have ago on the field by all means, but all of this running to the media seems like running to the teacher and having a cry 'he called me names miss'

What happened to 'I'll let my bat do the talking'