• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vincent on the Aussies........

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Vincent impressed me because he said right from the on-set I am not scared of the Aussies which is probably a mental issue some players face going into matches. I think hes tried to stay on top of their mind games and thats a strength you need to beat them even though Vincent probably doesnt have the class to do it all the time.
I think Vincent's problem throughout his career has been the mental side more than anything - the repeated droppings and shuffling around the order hasn't helped either. He has a lot of class IMO and this attitude against Australia does a lot more good than harm to his mental application.

Natman20

International Debutant
Vincent has played a different style of game this series by playing more patiently. So far it has benefitted although I did like watching him attack a couple seasons ago or so. Vincent is one of those players could turn out to be a world cup hero. But then again thats what everyone is saying about anyone that is playing semi-decent at the moment.

Fiery

Banned
I think Vincent's problem throughout his career has been the mental side more than anything - the repeated droppings and shuffling around the order hasn't helped either. He has a lot of class IMO and this attitude against Australia does a lot more good than harm to his mental application.
Agreed

archie mac

International Coach
Do you really think he rung up Newstalk ZB and said 'hey, I've got a few things to get off my chest (other than my chin)?"

No, but he could have said 'no comment' or 'I'll let by bat do the talking' or 'what is said on the field stays on the field' or

Craig

World Traveller
Unbecoming conduct for a Christian who is supposed to respect all parts of the animal kingdom I must say...
Lesson # 897656 in Australian (Queensland) phases and terms:

People from New South Wales are often refered to as ****roach especially in State of Origin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_League_State_of_Origin) from Queenslanders, to which Hayden is, so he could make a subtle reference point to that or I have made myself look like a fool and he was implying literally kick a ****roach around.

Craig

World Traveller
No, but he could have said 'no comment' or 'I'll let by bat do the talking' or 'what is said on the field stays on the field' or
I think if you wanted a somebody to have a sook, then look at Graeme Smith when he first got picked for South Africa.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:lol: at the press trying to make it sound like he was having a go at the Aussies when he said they were a "tight knit unit" and "hunt like a pack of dogs". Pretty big compliment, IMO.
Wonder what the odds of a few "woof, woof" comments from the Haydens and Symonds' of this World are next game...

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Vincent is the Key NZ batsman now?
I wouldn't say so.

Since the days of Martin Crowe, New Zealand have never really had any "one" person for a long period that would have be considered their "best batsmen" and that is no different today. There have been periods over the last 10 years that Astle was labelled as that for a while and then Fleming for a while etc etc, but never one batsmen for long.

I actually believe in oneday cricket that has worked in NZ's favour and is one of the reasons they have punched above their weight in ODI's in the last 5-6 years. That is the abilities of the batsmen doesn't change all that much from 1-7 in the batting order. Unlike a side like the West Indies, who rely so heavily on Lara (Gayle and Chanderpaul) to a lesser extent.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What, so having lots of mediocrity > having three superstars + some mediocrity?

Makes no sense.

NZ have had some good batsmen in ODIs, always - and on the rare occasions they haven't, they've been knocked-over cheaply.