• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Darren Lehmann and Graeme Hick - who is better?

Craig

World Traveller
Well it has been something I have been being to as and it is probably one of my controversial threads again (let's face it, you love it), but I ask who is the better player Graeme Hick or Darren Lehmann?

Now it isn't just some random question, otherwise I would have asked Fidel Edwards and James Anderson, but both players have been very dominant in their respective FC competitions in England and Australia (Lehmann very dominant in England as is Hick, I believe Hick got some runs when he played for Queensland, but I could be wrong, I know he did for Northern Districts), both got a raw deal by Test selectors and were fine ODI players in their own right.

I suppose Lehmann might just win out because if he were from any other country IMO he probably would have 100+ Tests, but I hated the way he batted. The way he walked across the stumps in a very arrogant manner and played shots in a similar nature and would get out. I also felt he filled his boots against some of the crappier nations in terms of bowling attacks (surely Liam will agree with this in reference to his belovered West Indies) and Bangladesh (who I thought did well under the circumstances), but played brilliantly in Sri Lanka after the pointless death of his mate David Hookes. Perhaps that is just me though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not much contest IMO. Lehmann had a successful, albeit fairly limited, test career, while Hick was a failure of a test batsman who had several chances. Lehmann was also a far more successful and reliable one day bowler. Their first class and ODI records with the bat are fairly comparable but the fact that Lehmann actually made a good test career for himself speaks more than anything else.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On natural ability Hick, on success at international level Lehmann comfortably. I was lucky enough to see Hick play in NZ domestic cricket in the late 80s and he looked as classy as Martin Crowe at that level, in fact in some ways better, but he wasn't half the batsmen Crowe was at international level.

Having said that, Hick was always under used, particurlarly as a ODI batsmen. Surely even at his age now, he wouldn't do much worse than most of the current england ODI batsmen.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lehmann by a street - he was comfortably one of the best batsmen in the best cricketing nation in the world at the time but was shafted by selectors for reasons other than performance. The guy shouldve played 100 tests and did well when selected past his peak.

Hick had immense natural talent but flaws in both his technical and mental makeup that are reflected in his test record

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Lehmann very comfortably. Actually, I'd rate Lehmann's achievements at FC level quite comparable as well. Both were utterlty devastating at their peak, but nobody could ever accuse Lehmann of being a flat track bully and his record on seaming wickets at Headingley was remarkable. Throw in a fairly good test career played well after his peak and Shane Warne rating him alongside Lara and Tendulkar in terms of playing spin, and it's not even close.

Hick possibly the better ODI batsman, though both were quite good.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Raw deal?

They had plenty of opportunities

They were both recalled more times than a Daihatsu.

Anyway, Lehmann for mine.
Lehmann wasn't, really. In fact, he was really only recalled once. He was picked in 98 and played five tests, then was picked again in 2002 and played 22 more tests between then and the end of 2004. The only time he was dropped in that period was at the end of the 02/03 Ashes for two games, and was recalled after the '03 WC when Martyn was injured. He averaged 49.06 in those 22 games.

In ODIs he had an on and off career for a long time, but in tests he basically didn't get an extended opportunity until he was 32. Hick on the other hand played over 50 test matches over a lengthy period of time, including throughout his peak.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It pains me to say it but Lehmann.

When it comes to pitting the real world against paper, the real world always wins.

A shame really as Ive talked at length on here before about the poor handling of Hicks different personality and his general treatment.

Purely hypothetical, but looked after properly I would guess 9/10 times he would have 100 tests with an average over 50. Simply one of the best batsmen I have ever seen.

However, it was not to be and the plaudits here must go to Lehmann.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
It has to be "Boof" who was superb in FC fricket in two countries (Hick did dominate in NZ for two years but did nothing special for Queensland. I look at it this way. If "Boof" was English he'd have got 100 Tests. If Hick was Australian i'd be amazed if he would have played 20.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well it has been something I have been being to as and it is probably one of my controversial threads again (let's face it, you love it), but I ask who is the better player Graeme Hick or Darren Lehmann?

Now it isn't just some random question, otherwise I would have asked Fidel Edwards and James Anderson, but both players have been very dominant in their respective FC competitions in England and Australia (Lehmann very dominant in England as is Hick, I believe Hick got some runs when he played for Queensland, but I could be wrong, I know he did for Northern Districts), both got a raw deal by Test selectors and were fine ODI players in their own right.

I suppose Lehmann might just win out because if he were from any other country IMO he probably would have 100+ Tests, but I hated the way he batted. The way he walked across the stumps in a very arrogant manner and played shots in a similar nature and would get out. I also felt he filled his boots against some of the crappier nations in terms of bowling attacks (surely Liam will agree with this in reference to his belovered West Indies) and Bangladesh (who I thought did well under the circumstances), but played brilliantly in Sri Lanka after the pointless death of his mate David Hookes. Perhaps that is just me though.
Darren Lehmann was a brilliant, brilliant player, who dominated both on the flat (and turning) tracks of Adelaide and the seamers at Headingley. And most other places, for that matter.

And he also had a pretty decent Test career when he finally got the chance.

Shame he smoked and dieted poorly, otherwise you never know.

Hick was hardly the most fortunate guy in The World either but early on in his Test career he did have technical flaws and despite getting over those eventually and playing exceedingly well for a few years he dropped off again.

Who knows what might have happened had John Crawley not scored any runs in 1996. Maybe Hick would've been recalled to go "home" in 1996\97, scored a bagful and been a terrific player for the next 5 or 6 years?

Lehmann, purely on domestic cricket, just shades it IMO but Hick was probably a better ODI player. How he ever got dropped from that form of the game would be beyond me if I didn't understand so well the English psyche, where Tests and ODIs just can't be separated for some. Poor old Chris Read has suffered the exact same way.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member

Something you've been being to as.:blink:
It's also about as controversial as telling your Granny she can't cook rice.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Darren Lehman by quite a margin for me, he has dominated the domestic competitions in England and Australia (Hick was average for Queensland) whilst also having a good Test career, although he had limited opportunities.