• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Darren Lehmann and Graeme Hick - who is better?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There were many who did during Alec Stewart's era. Nayan Mongia, Ian Healy Rashid Latif immediately come to mind.
Err, what? No, none of those 3 could bat at all, could they?!

Healy was for a long time another top-notch wicketkeeper-batsman - but some might just look at a career-average of 27 and think "not that good", which is patently false.

Latif was kind of a Russell to Moin's Stewart. But it didn't change the fact both Latif and Russell certainly could bat, just not as well as their superiors.
That's just an assumption and you have no way to prove that. and no repeating it 200 times wont make it true. It will remain an assumption.
Nonsense. Russell was selected in 1989 ahead of players who were at the time considered superior glovemen but inferior batsmen. Going further back, Keith Andrew - widely acknowledged as one of the best wicketkeepers ever but who was nothing more than a tailender - played just 2 Tests thanks to the reasonable batting and perfectly-good-enough wicketkeeping of first the aforementioned Evans and later Jim Parks.
Umm No - He wasn't the best, There was a guy named Ian Healy was the best during that period.
Nonsense. Healy was damn good, certainly, but he was not in Stewart's class as a batsman and no-one, least of all Healy himself, would deny that.
Keep repeating, it wont change the fact that Gilchrist was far superior to Alec Stewart as a wk-batsman.
It won't stop being true. Gilchrist was superior, but not "far" as the average-difference of 30 would suggest.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Oh so now Mr. 'know-all' jumps in with his 'I-know-it-all' 2 cents to defend the half baked theories of his friend.

Well Mr. Know-it-all, If you had cared to read, you would have noticed that we were talking about Test Cricket and not FC.
Actually Ive just deleted a long post in response. Better to ignore someone like you.

And as for Richard being a friend, he could be a very nice person but-
a) Ive never met him or talked to him or chatted on MSN
b) I butt heads with him more than most on here and disagree with much of what he says. Doesnt mean I will not agree with the bits I find accurate

Dont bother responding as I wont see it
*adds to ignore list*

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Actually Ive just deleted a long post in response. Better to ignore someone like you.

And as for Richard being a friend, he could be a very nice person but-
a) Ive never met him or talked to him or chatted on MSN
b) I butt heads with him more than most on here and disagree with much of what he says. Doesnt mean I will not agree with the bits I find accurate

Dont bother responding as I wont see it
*adds to ignore list*
Good that you put me on ignore list. Now go find and bunch of psycophants who will agree with every word you say and bow to might of your knowledge.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Good that you put me on ignore list. Now go find and bunch of psycophants who will agree with every word you say and bow to might of your knowledge.
I'll be one of those actually. Goughy speaks a hell of a lot more sense than you do.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Latif was kind of a Russell to Moin's Stewart. But it didn't change the fact both Latif and Russell certainly could bat, just not as well as their superiors.
Thanks for proving my point. Anyone who has watched Latif and Moin could tell you that Latif was a much better wicket keeper than Moin.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thanks for proving my point. Anyone who has watched Latif and Moin could tell you that Latif was a much better wicket keeper than Moin.
How is that remotely relative to the fact that Latif was quite capable with a bat in his hands?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
How is that remotely relative to the fact that Latif was quite capable with a bat in his hands?
So ? Rashid was miles ahead of Moin as a wicketkeeper and that's the reason he was always the wicketkeeper unlike Moin and Stewart.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Had Latif had a First-Class batting-average of 12 there's no way anyone would have remotely considered him.

As for "always the wicketkeeper"... funny how Moin played all those Tests and ODIs, then, isn't it?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Had Latif had a First-Class batting-average of 12 there's no way anyone would have remotely considered him.
We will never know that. If Richard Blakey could play International cricket, anyone could.

As for "always the wicketkeeper"... funny how Moin played all those Tests and ODIs, then, isn't it?
Now That's really ignorant. which is very typical of you as always. FYI - Moin's superior batting skills, PCB Politics, Rashid's personality issues, injury and not his wicketkeeping skills that kept him out of all those tests .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
We will never know that. If Richard Blakey could play International cricket, anyone could.
Richard Blakey's batting-average was perfectly good enough for him to have a go. There wasn't a massive amount between him and Russell.
Now That's really ignorant. which is very typical of you as always. FYI - Moin's superior batting skills, PCB Politics, Rashid's personality issues, injury and not his wicketkeeping skills that kept him out of all those tests .
Yes, of course, all things being equal Latif would've played ahead of Moin every single game. 8-)