• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Darren Lehmann and Graeme Hick - who is better?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Craig's joke's on Liam, courtesty of P EWS...

Oh wait...

(What is your name, BTW, if you don't mind us knowing? Or do you prefer to be addressed as Your Highness?)
The name is Robert. I usually go by Rob.

But yes, "Your Highness" would do just fine.. :p

Craig

World Traveller
Lehmann wasn't, really. In fact, he was really only recalled once. He was picked in 98 and played five tests, then was picked again in 2002 and played 22 more tests between then and the end of 2004. The only time he was dropped in that period was at the end of the 02/03 Ashes for two games, and was recalled after the '03 WC when Martyn was injured. He averaged 49.06 in those 22 games.

In ODIs he had an on and off career for a long time, but in tests he basically didn't get an extended opportunity until he was 32. Hick on the other hand played over 50 test matches over a lengthy period of time, including throughout his peak.
Well you are human and you have to be wrong at least once, but he was injured and that is how Martin Love got picked.

Obviously I'm sure you knew that, but you simply forgot.

Craig

World Traveller
Yeah Lehmann for mine. Could contribute with the ball too.
As Goughy said Hick does have an ODI five wicket haul, and has 232 FC wickets (and yes I know about his average before somebody points it out), so it is not as though Hick can't bowl.

The guy has nearly 40,000 FC runs, so I don't think all CC bowlers are pie throwers.

Craig

World Traveller
Lehmann very comfortably. Actually, I'd rate Lehmann's achievements at FC level quite comparable as well. Both were utterlty devastating at their peak, but nobody could ever accuse Lehmann of being a flat track bully and his record on seaming wickets at Headingley was remarkable. Throw in a fairly good test career played well after his peak and Shane Warne rating him alongside Lara and Tendulkar in terms of playing spin, and it's not even close.

Hick possibly the better ODI batsman, though both were quite good.
I thought he was quite over-rated at Test cricket given his ability.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
As Goughy said Hick does have an ODI five wicket haul, and has 232 FC wickets (and yes I know about his average before somebody points it out), so it is not as though Hick can't bowl.

The guy has nearly 40,000 FC runs, so I don't think all CC bowlers are pie throwers.
You obviously haven't seen some of the other threads, and to note I typed it light heartly.
And why is that?
Inzy right here.
Use multi-quote Craigos :p

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
What do you mean? I think he underperformed a bit in terms of his stats, but he didn't really play for that long when he was at his best, and his average in that period is pretty decent.

Beleg

International Regular
Lehmann. After Stuart Law, Lehmann was the most unfortunate Aussie batsman of the last decade, IMO.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Lehman - No Contest. Hick is highly overrated like every other English cricketer in the 90s.