• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hendrik Human "Boeta" Dippenaar

slogger555

Cricket Spectator
Any reason why he wassnt selected in the odi squad for SA vs Pak thought he was in quite good one day form

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
His ODI form was horrible in the last series he played. He was dropped and hasn't been recalled.

In saying that though, he clearly should have been selected anyway, based on:
a) His superb ODI record overall.
b) The fact that Bosman clearly isn't ODI standard.

Also slogger555, since this is specific to one particular squad, you should have posted it in the official tour thread.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
His ODI form was horrible in the last series he played. He was dropped and hasn't been recalled.

In saying that though, he clearly should have been selected anyway, based on:
a) His superb ODI record overall.
b) The fact that Bosman clearly isn't ODI standard.

Also slogger555, since this is specific to one particular squad, you should have posted it in the official tour thread.
The 15 man squad SA chose for this series is shocking. They will still win the series though :D .

Bosman has not scored a run all year. Disgrace

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think politics may have had a hand in getting Loots Bosman in the squad, sure Dippenaar had a bad series but he is a pretty classy ODI player.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think politics may have had a hand in getting Loots Bosman in the squad, sure Dippenaar had a bad series but he is a pretty classy ODI player.
Heh? Yuh think? It's pretty obvious that Bosman is in the squad because he's black. South Africa had targets to meet. They met the target. Congrats to them.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I suppose the other question about BD is how on earth does he still manage to make their test side?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Boeta Dippenaar has long been messed-around by SAfrican selectors.

He repeatedly does terribly in Tests... so he keeps being recalled. He rarely does a thing wrong in ODIs... and gets dropped more often than Graeme Hick.

Honestly, of all the SAfricans who could think "stuff this, I'm off to play in England" I'm truly astonished he wasn't the first and most prominent of all.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Heh? Yuh think? It's pretty obvious that Bosman is in the squad because he's black. South Africa had targets to meet. They met the target. Congrats to them.
Nobody in the thread had said it so far, so I thought I would mention it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Its so obvious that it shouldn't even be mentioned on the forums? Fairly useless reply.

Craig

World Traveller
Off-topic I know, but while on the subject of our hero, when did 'Boeta' come from to be the name that he is known by?

Love the middle name of Human.

Craig

World Traveller
Granted I'm no expert, but surely there are other black players who are better then Bosman?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Granted I'm no expert, but surely there are other black players who are better then Bosman?
It really shouldn't matter though - Dippenaar is better than him, black or not. Argument for the other thread though, I guess.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Of course there is, Loots must have something on Haroon Lorgat because God knows why he gets into the ODI side. Quota's or not there is at least five or more better coloured cricketers than this mid 90's throwback. Good option for a 20/20 side but when your top order can't buy a run most of the time having a walking wicket isn't the most smartest of selections. Personally I don’t think Boeta should be in the side as well, his also struggling and with AB and Smith opening (with Gibbs in reserve) you don’t need another opener in your squad. If AB fails, just give Gibbs the job back, on flat West Indian wickets, worries about his technique really shouldn’t be of concern.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Of course there is, Loots must have something on Haroon Lorgat because God knows why he gets into the ODI side.
Isn't it obvious? Matthew Prior got 11 games for the exact same reason.

"He's a big-hitter".

Such a thing routinely clouds the selection of players for ODIs - the fact that when they hit it it goes a long way often clouds the fact that they don't hit it very often.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Off-topic I know, but while on the subject of our hero, when did 'Boeta' come from to be the name that he is known by?

Love the middle name of Human.
Not sure but he was definately known as "Hendrik Dippenaar" on the SA u19 tour in 1995, was rather hilarious re-reading that again after he became an established international as "Boeta". :laugh:

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I might get into trouble for this but has he been sacrificed so that CSA can reach their target for the WC squad? I know he's off form but from what I saw of Bosman v India he looked totally out of his depth and I reckon SA fans should hope he doesn't need to play.I should also say that having seen the 15-man squad for the Pakistan series (barring injuries, surely their WC squad) I reckon Dippenaar instead of Bosman is the only mistake. IMO there is a good case for the other non-whites I just think its Bosman who's not good enough.