• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Best Young Batsmen in the world?

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Who are the contenders for best young batsmen in world cricket.Who really stands out from other young batsmen.I like the look of a couple of Bangladeshies Shahriar Nafees and Aftab Ahmed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To compare Aftab to Shahriar Nafis Ahmed is grossly insulting to the latter.

The latter actually appears to possess a brain.

AB de Villiers still retains some of my confidence.

Michael Clarke's still young, though he is now pretty well established (and, remarkably, also pretty unobtrusive).

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
What in your mind is wrong with Aftab?.Played a couple of very good innings at the ICC Champions Trophy.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
What in your mind is wrong with Aftab?.Played a couple of very good innings at the ICC Champions Trophy.
Has no concept of the right ball to defend and the right ball to attack. Although how that is any different to AB "Dwayne" de Villiers I don't know...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dwayne?

ABdeV at least managed to put his brain in gear for a time, and at least has some mitigation in being messed-around by selectors more than most.

Aftab has neither.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Remember seeing Mo Ashraful in England a couple of summers ago and some of the shots he played were breathtaking.Unfortunately he also seems not to possess a brain and he plays mind boggling shots and gets out in the most stupid of ways.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In that very same series I thought the same when he decided to play a premeditated dab off a seamer (Gillespie IIRR) in about the 17th over, with his side deep in the mire already...

Ashraful has to be one of the most stupid batsmen of recent times to be rated as highly as he is (mostly by Englishmen in my experience).

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Remember seeing Mo Ashraful in England a couple of summers ago and some of the shots he played were breathtaking.Unfortunately he also seems not to possess a brain and he plays mind boggling shots and gets out in the most stupid of ways.
Ashraful looks in the zone compared to the likes of Aftab Ahmed and Nafees Iqbal. Aftab will never be a decent Test player, even in domestic cricket he has absolutely no appetite for the big innings.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I don't care anymore. I've been staring at a medium term plan for "What is the Bible and why is it important to Christians" for the last hour and still have no idea how to teach it. This is going to be the worst lesson of all time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Better you than the six year olds I have to try teaching it to...
Well it would indeed be a tragedy if your teaching career ended before it began...

Still, why can't you find anyone else to take it out on? Have you no framed pictures and encyclopedias?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Taylor hasn't played test cricket yet so I cannot say. I think if Fulton fails to make his mark in ODI cricket in the next year, he'll be pigeon-holed to test cricket because after all he has decent OD stats for Canterbury but his true ability has shown in the longer form.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Come on. Smith isn't THAT bad. He's pretty brainless, but he also has a large share of natural talent. He hasn't seemed to focus on his batting at all of late though, as his bowling has really improved dramatically.