• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would win a test series between England and West Indies if play started tomorrow?

Who would win?

• Total voters

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
3/10 means 30% (less than 5 tests series' at that I would imagine). That is against weaker or as good opposition as England. I wouldn't be so sure of taking all 5 games against one of the stronger teams, England, to all 5 days.
Take out one of the Tests where it rained for most of 2.5 days with the West Indies in a good position. Then there was this game where the West Indies were chasing 269 to win heading into day three. They couldn't take that game into the 5th day if they tried! It's really only one game in the last 10 Tests where the West Indies failed to compete sufficiently to carry a Test into day 5. I see no reason to believe that they wouldn't carry England to 5 days.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The tendency has been to host two teams in the season - one full series and one shorter series. It's also typically been a headlining team for the full series (Australia, England, India, South Africa) and a less supported team for the second series. I don't think the touring teams have a choice in the matter, but I'm certain that the West Indies will, in general, start playing shorter series due to being one of the poorer sides in world cricket. No longer is a 5-Test series with the West Indies an attractive showcase.
England have been doing the same thing with the 2-tours procedure since 2001. Where applicable, though, we've retained the 5-Tester.

Because to many Englishmen, unlike apparently others, 5-Test series still seem to be relished.

The last 5-Test series not to involve England was IIRR 6 years ago (involving West Indies).

Mr Mxyzptlk

Since June 2003 WI have won 1 test that hasnt been against the minnows.

Yes 1, yet you think they would walk all over the 2nd best team in the world. Funny :D
It's funny that you'd take him seriously. :p

He's the prototype troll.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I might, if there was any other appropriate response to your posts.

Notice Liam's thoughts are remarkably similar...:unsure:

Since June 2003 WI have won 1 test that hasnt been against the minnows.

Yes 1, yet you think they would walk all over the 2nd best team in the world. Funny :D
Upon further reflection I've changed my mind.

As long as they bowled first on an overcast greentop, England would win a test at home in seamer friendly conditions.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Liam, the two examples you described show that the possibility of games going less than 5 days exist for quite a few reasons. Who knows, it may be a low scoring game like this one or one of the two teams might collapse in one of the innings leading to less than 5 days possible in the series. So I find it unlikely that a 5 test series between the two teams would go to day 5 and wouldn't be as confident about making your initial remark - Every game would go to day 5 though.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Upon further reflection I've changed my mind.

As long as they bowled first on an overcast greentop, England would win a test at home in seamer friendly conditions.
Shows how much attention you've been paying to recent English conditions - and indeed recent English bowlers...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It's funny that you'd take him seriously. :p

He's the prototype troll.
I try to take everyone seriously until they repeatedly show they are just trolling. He may be getting close now though.

There are a number of young guys that post stuff that may appear to be trolling but is just inexperience and hopefully they can learn, develop and become better and more knowledgable posters.

This may or may not be one of those cases :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I try to take everyone seriously until they repeatedly show they are just trolling. He may be getting close now though.

There are a number of young guys that post stuff that may appear to be trolling but is just inexperience and hopefully they can learn, develop and become better and more knowledgable posters.

This may or may not be one of those cases :p
In this case we've seen enough by now to suggest probably not.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Liam, the two examples you described show that the possibility of games going less than 5 days exist for quite a few reasons. Who knows, it may be a low scoring game like this one or one of the two teams might collapse in one of the innings leading to less than 5 days possible in the series. So I find it unlikely that a 5 test series between the two teams would go to day 5 and wouldn't be as confident about making your initial remark - Every game would go to day 5 though.
I base my prediction on particular things:

1. Generally teams score a lot of runs against the West Indies. In that way, the West Indies has found it easier to take games to the fifth day, albeit without a chance of winning.
2. In a low scoring game such as the one listed above, the West Indies would have a chance of winning. I don't expect them to have a chance of winning a Test against England in a lowscoring affair.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Given that CW is now into it's 7th year I'd say he's a touch on the tardy side if he wanted to be a prototype.

And he now falls into the mere archetype category.
Considering that I'm fairly certain he's a repeat offender, considering various screen names...

Beleg

International Regular
Those of you who think England are clear-cut number two are deluding themselves quite badly. As others have put it, right now there just isn't a clear-cut number two. The team that comes closest IMO is South Africa.

In England, England would win against WI quite comfortably. In WI, I'd give WI the edge, just barely though. The problem with WI is that unlike other countries they just don't seem to be able to find a matchwinning bowler - why is why they haven't been able to 'WIN' many games, despite having a decent team on several occasions.

Mr Mxyzptlk

The West Indies is a better team at home, but generally insomuch as they draw more games than they do abroad. They've struggled to win recently though.

Beleg

International Regular
'tis true that they haven't been in any sort of winning form recently, however, given the conditions of the original post, I don't think English attack at the moment is in better form than the West Indian one.