• Imran Khan

6 11.11%
  • Ian Botham

3 5.56%
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The REAL allrounders Poll

International Captain

The REAL allrounders Poll

Most cricket lovers would assume that Garry Sobers would win a poll of genuine allrounders but we've learned recently that this might not be the case.
    So let's have a poll with the real top candidates.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Sobers, Miller, Botham=Imran IMO.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Sobers > Miller = Imran > Botham. Imran Khan was a better player than Ian Botham, no question.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Miller for me was the best 'pure' all-rounder for mine. His FC record is incredible. He actually has a true batsman's average and a true bowlers average, which is amazing. His batting wasn't quite as good in Tests, but still very good for an all-rounder, and a bowling average up there with the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Miller for me was the best 'pure' all-rounder for mine. His FC record is incredible.
    Irrelevant. That might only show the weakness of the FC cricket he was playing. 55 Tests is enough of a sample so we can ignore his FC stats when judging him as a test player.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    He actually has a true batsman's average and a true bowlers average, which is amazing. His batting wasn't quite as good in Tests, but still very good for an all-rounder, and a bowling average up there with the best.
    Going by averages, he has a worse bowling average, worse strike rate, worse batting average, but more centuries compared to Imran. I still put him equal though as Imran had his peaks at different point in his career.

My rankings:

(1) Sobers
    (2) Imran
    (3) Miller
    (4) Botham

International Captain
    On ability Botham was a better batsman than Imran as his 12 Test centuries indicate. But whereas Imran developed his more limited batting to the point where he later almost became a genuine Test batsman, Botham's batting went nowhere, he had the ability to average 45 but lacked the application of Imran. Imran was certainly the better bowler.

And this is well known by now, but last 50 Tests for Imran:

Batting Average: 51
    Centuries: 5
    Fifties: 14
    Bowling Average: 20.12
    Wickets: 195
    Strike Rate: 49.1
    Best: 8/60

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    On ability Botham was a better batsman than Imran as his 12 Test centuries indicate. But whereas Imran developed his more limited batting to the point where he later almost became a genuine Test batsman, Botham's batting went nowhere, he had the ability to average 45 but lacked the application of Imran. Imran was certainly the better bowler.
    Yup, on batting talent Botham was certainly superior. Imran worked on his batting and though never had the skill of Botham, he applied himself a lot more and became a decent Test quality batsmen.

If I had to have someone bat for me in one game, I'd go with Botham. For bowling, its Imran and its not close.

EDIT: But early Botham was amazing. If he had been shape and avoid injuries, he would have been fantastic.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 30-01-2007 at 12:24 PM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    I often wonder... what would people think if Botham was told his back was in an unsuitable state to bowl after Mumbai 1981\82 (and hence never bowled again), and if he ruptured a cruciate-ligament after the first-innings of the Third Test in 1984 and never picked-up a cricket-bat again?

I think he'd probably be considered 2nd-best after Sobers. Rightly or wrongly.

You could quite possibly say the same about Imran had he not been picked so stupidly young.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I often wonder... what would people think if Botham was told his back was in an unsuitable state to bowl after Mumbai 1981\82 (and hence never bowled again), and if he ruptured a cruciate-ligament after the first-innings of the Third Test in 1984 and never picked-up a cricket-bat again?

I think he'd probably be considered 2nd-best after Sobers. Rightly or wrongly.

You could quite possibly say the same about Imran had he not been picked so stupidly young.
    No he wouldn't be considered 2nd best because he wouldn't have had enough bowling to justify that place. Waqar Younis would have been the greatest bowler since Sydney Barnes if he had quit after his 33rd test, but I wouldn't have put him there because 30 tests are not enough.

Same with Botham.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I often wonder... what would people think if Botham was told his back was in an unsuitable state to bowl after Mumbai 1981\82 (and hence never bowled again), and if he ruptured a cruciate-ligament after the first-innings of the Third Test in 1984 and never picked-up a cricket-bat again? .
    Alternatively, if he'd signed up with the Gooch's 1982 "rebels", and as a result, missed all of England's tests for the next 3 years, returned for his triumphant 1985 Ashes series and called it a day after the 1985/6 WI debacle?

and how many of you saw sobers in action?

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Your point? You've seen Bradman?

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    No one at CW is old enough to have seen Bradman and Hobbs in action. Should we exclude them when discussing who the greatest batsman is?

EDIT: Damn you SS.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information