• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CWAGS on Tour

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
Today's Daily Telegraph has offerred their insight into why England have been less than successful on thiis Ashes tour.

"If England were a pusillanimous monument to botchery, and they were, it is impossible to believe that a contributory factor was not the accompaniment en masse of the CWAGS, the cricketing wives, girlfriends (and offspring) of the players. Can you imagine going to work with your other half? More to the point in this white-hot sporting context, can you imagine going to war with your children? It is teetering on the verge of insanity."

While Allan Border agreed with the Daily Telly, Steve Waugh had the opposite viewpoint, and it didn't seem to harm him.

What do you think? CWAGS or not on tour?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This'd be better in the Ashes subforum but anyway...

I think a better summation of the situation than that nonsense would be the following:

Can you imagine going to work for a continuous period of 6 months, and not going home to see the wife\girlfriend (and kids where applicable) in that time?

If not, why not think about that before writing stupid similies like that.

Family life and harmonious domestics > cricket IMO (and in those of the vast majority with a family that means anything to them), and with the modern calender if you ban CWAGs then cricket becomes a bachelor's game, simple as. It's no surprise that a child of the modern age, Waugh, should realise this reality more readily than one of it's predecessor, Border.

sideshowtim

Banned
Here's my shock insight as to why England have had a horrible Ashes tour:

Australia are a far better cricket team in every single aspect

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That simple truth is not acceptible to the vast majority of England fans who don't want to believe that they were completely and totally wrong to think England had a ghost of a chance on this tour.

It's far easier to blame other factors, like bad selection, poor scheduling (though IMO that could have been better, not that it'd have made a difference on this occasion), attitudes of players, the presence of families, etc.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain

Your post says it all really.

IMO, having families on tour will probably help more than it hinders. I can imagine the strain that that kind of separation must have put on relationships back in Border's day. Besides, the players don't have their families right beside them while they are actually working, ie. training and playing, so it's not comparible to taking your missus to the office at all.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
TBH, I can see the need for some degree of separation. Getting settled and into some routine, etc. I think it was Border's side in '89 whom implemented a policy of no family in the hotel till after the 2nd Test, and I can see the merit in it.

Craig

World Traveller
Well it's not as bad as the South African rugby team method in the lead-up to the 2003 Rugby World Cup and with their training camps :mellow: :ph34r:

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
First of all I thought CWAG was a off-form Indian batsman!:laugh: Then i realised what was meant. I HATE the phrase "WAG" anyway - especially the fact that the footballing ones are actually famous for no better reason than who they are married too -but I still think they are a distraction that if they are to be there at all should be there before (or after ) the Tests - not during them. And bear in mind the team had time home between the CT and the Ashes that some of us think might have been better spent adapting to Aussie conditions so they could see their loved ones in the first place. And if its true KP was with his has-been pop singer gf (doesn't he realise she just wants him to cling on to her fame now her pop career has gone down the tube a la Posh Spice) rather than at team meetings thats not good to anyone. PS - and bear in mind criocket careers last to the mid 30s and human beings live on average over 70 years. The sensible thing is to be like Mike Atherton and Imran Khan and wait to your cricket career is over before marrying.

Langeveldt

Soutie

True, but thats no different from 2005..

I think the presence of WAGS and Brats has a detrimental effect on a touring cricketer.. I find training and exercising is a good way of getting rid of boredom when I'm away from my girlfriend, I don't see why Englands cricketers should be any different

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
PS - and bear in mind criocket careers last to the mid 30s and human beings live on average over 70 years. The sensible thing is to be like Mike Atherton and Imran Khan and wait to your cricket career is over before marrying.
It is (add David Gower to that list, too) but it's a route few have taken as they're not content to be cricketing bachelors for 20 years or so.

And I for one don't blame them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH, I can see the need for some degree of separation. Getting settled and into some routine, etc. I think it was Border's side in '89 whom implemented a policy of no family in the hotel till after the 2nd Test, and I can see the merit in it.
Bob Woolmer with South Africa implemented by far the best system IMO...

As ever when this subject comes-up, I refer to this article.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I agree with Richard on this one.

My own POV, apart from the cricket itself, being a married cricketer with a family is ****.

A county cricketer is away all the time only seeing motorways and hotel rooms and International cricket is worse.

It looks like Im turning down coaching a 5 day tour due to my family commitments and not wanting to be away from home for any period. God only knows what its like to be constantly touring overseas.

Cricket boards must invest in keeping wifes and kids happy as well as keeping up player moral.

They should be with the players on tour (or at least a fair part of it) and then have people tasked with keeping them busy, happy and entertained.